Wild elk roaming around, being seen in Georgia

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
Also, in VA it is legal to take one. You just abide by county deer season (buck days, doe days, etc.) and you just use your deer tag to check it in.

Unless it has changed West Virginia has the same rule for Elk, for some reason, they did not want them over there.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
This is an excerpt from the Kentucky regs.
ELK HUNTING OUTSIDE THE ELK ZONE

"Elk may be taken from any county outside the zone by hunters who possess an annual Kentucky hunting license and an Out-of-Zone Elk Permit. These hunters must follow deer season and equipment regulations, but are not required to possess a Statewide Deer Permit."

Josh B

Like Dave said I remember when a truck carrying elk crashed and lost its load near town lake but its been way longer than 5 years probably 10 years. Nothing popped up when I googled it. I remember people posting pics of them in their yard. One got hit by a car and DNR wanted shot. All but 2 were accounted for at that time. All females

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Like Dave said I remember when a truck carrying elk crashed and lost its load near town lake but its been way longer than 5 years probably 10 years. Nothing popped up when I googled it. I remember people posting pics of them in their yard. One got hit by a car and DNR wanted shot. All but 2 were accounted for at that time. All females
A hunter shot one. I believe it was in Cherokee county. DNR shot several also if I remember right. I think it was more like 12 cows that got loose. i think all were accounted for though

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've come in a hair of hitting a couple in the road here.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There’s been a bunch of them shot around here by farmers.

Rich Kaminski

I see elk all the time on my way to my hunting club in Twiggs County. They are in a high fence plantation and there are several breeders of elk in the area (BUT NO ELK ROAMING AROUND FREELY).

Curvebow05

I bet a few have already been shot. Many of the hill folks don’t tell us flat landers their business.
There’s been a bunch of them shot around here by farmers.
I guess the question is, would you shoot them in a state where it is technically legal without a permit? I would have a hard time with it personally. I can't say elk steaks and jerky wouldn't win out but the possibility of eventually having a breeding population of Elk all up and down the Appalachian range would probably stop me.

Timbo85

A few here in south east GA not wild though, no season you can hunt em all yr with out a permit

outdoorman

Funny about the plantation off Hwy 129 in Twiggs County between Macon and Cochran.,
I was driving past it a couple weeks back and SURPRISED that I had to pull over to get a second look before they trotted off away from the metal fence. You can see them from the road.

Geezer Ray

I see elk all the time on my way to my hunting club in Twiggs County. They are in a high fence plantation and there are several breeders of elk in the area (BUT NO ELK ROAMING AROUND FREELY).

That dang fence is hard to get your kill over and back to the truck without help.