Will a Boykin Point?

Duane27

Hey, I am curious on yals thoughts about Boykins pointing birds. I mainly see them being used for flushing. Could you teach one to point birds or would it be against their normal instinct? Also, I would like to see some pictures of some Boykins in action.

coachdoug87

Boykins are flushers/retrievers (now watch somebody post a picture of one pointing). They would not be what you would buy it you want a pointing dog.

Duane27

Thanks for the reply. I have heard talk about them doing a hesitated flush which some people call a point. I was just curious if you could train it to hold it as a “point”.

Hoss78

Boykin are flushers but I did have one that would stalk and some that saw him doing it say point chickens in the yard.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
my boykin likes to run head long into what ever is there, but she is barely a year old, and not experienced enough yet. I doubt she would ever make a pointer

tucker80

I imagine any dog could be whoa broke, but I believe you'd be closer to getting a sit on scent rather than a point.
That being said, I have a pointer for pointing and a Boykin for a flushing & retrieving.
I typically don't run them together.
All dogs will point to an extent. Even my wifes yorkie will.
Long and short, your Boykin will naturally be a better flusher and retriever. It is what it's bred to do. They're awesome dogs.

Nimrod71

Like the above, I wouldn't buy one for a pointer. I had a lab that would point, but she did it on her own, I didn't get her for pointing. Boykins are great dogs, several of my friends have them. They use them to retrieve doves and ducks. I have never seen them try to point. If you want a small pointer and retriever with hair you may want to look at a Brittany.

mlandrum

My Cocker is an inbred flusher, that’s their nature, they love it, as far as a Boykin is concerned pointing is not apart of their nature! Though there are some things that can be taught against something’s nature, yet they will not naturally enjoy as things that come by natural instincts. 868EB350-BB5D-4404-894E-7C772FE0ED62.jpeg

nrh0011

I had a lab that would point pheasant and quail, what I would consider "flash pointing". That being said if you're looking for a pointing dog, you probably won't be satisfied. However a Boykin is a pretty versatile dog which you could use on many different types of bird hunting.