Winchester 94 30-30 scope mount help

Robert28

Anyone have a Winchester 94 top eject with a scope mounted on it? I have one that used to belong to my dad and it’s never had a scope mounted on it but I wanted to set it up for hunting. I figure he’d rather me hunt with it than just let it sit in the safe and collect dust. It’s an early 80’s model according to the serial number. I was just wondering if anyone had one and how they set up a scope and scope mount on theirs. I was thinking of using a 2x7x32 but since I’ll have to mount it a good ways forward I’ll need something with excellent eye relief. Would a pistol scope work? I’m open to any ideas.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
They make a side plate you mount on it. The scope is a little offset. It works fine.
You can google what it looks like I bet.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was going to say that If it were me, I would become proficient with it using the open sites. However my old eyes have issues focusing on sites and target so I have scopes on all my big game guns. As mentioned above...looks like this one mounts to existing tapped screw holes so no drilling needed...so they say

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/kwik-...MI3Pbxg4vZ3QIVGYezCh2lSASTEAQYASABEgI03_D_BwE
I used that one with a straight 4 power scope. Worked fine. Will bolt up.

ryanh487

I got a side plate mount for mine. I'm not a fan. Will likely just upgrade the irons to fiber optics next time I decide to fool with it.

smokey30725

I've got the side plate mount on my 1970 Winchester 94 and after a few rounds to zero it, I proceeded to shoot a five shot group in the size of a quarter at 100 yards with Hornady Leverevolution rounds. I did use locktight on the screws, as they have a reputation for working loose sometimes. I try to shoot a couple boxes of ammo out of my deer rifle per year. It's my main deer gun and dropped a nice one at 75 yards last season and he was DRT. It's not the best looking way to mount a scope, but mine's rock solid and accurate.

Dub

I applaud you for wanting to get that .30/30 in the woods and after some deer.

It's been way, way too long since I had a dirty thirty lever gun in my hands while in a deer stand. Great times.

A lot of good memories go bak to those times.

frankwright

I was in the same boat. I have a winchester made in 1941 that my Dad gave to me when I was 19-20.
My old eyes can't see open sights so I installed the Pearson. It does not require any drilling or changing the gun in any way. I used a red dot sight and it allowed me to kill several pigs with the old gun. You can also use a scout scope mounted forward.

https://www.ebay.com/str/pearsonstacticalrails

grif

DON'T DO IT!!!
Don't do that gun an injustice by mounting a sideways scope on it. Your dad didn't put a scope on it cause it ain't supposed to have one. Get another gun if you need a scope. Sell it, trade it, leave it in the safe, or give it away - but, please don't put a scope on that rifle. JMHO

International

I just got done mounting a side mount and crossfire scope on my neighbors. He is left handed as I am so I can see how that would work for a lefty. Looks awful odd off to the side though. Don't know how a righty could get used to it.

blood on the ground

Cross threading is better than two lock washers.
I just got done mounting a side mount and crossfire scope on my neighbors. He is left handed as I am so I can see how that would work for a lefty. Looks awful odd off to the side though. Don't know how a righty could get used to it.
It's all I knew from 8 to 18 ... Killed so many deer with that old 94!

MCBUCK

Here's a suggestion:
Instead of scoping a classic 94 why don't you look into improving the accuracy by putting some on good quality peep sights? Peep sights were the military go to for over a century for a reason...they work and are easy to use. Target shooters a Camp Perry still use peeps every year. I did a ton of research on them before I switched because I was in the same boat as you, but I finally decided to give them a try and it was a revelation to me...I didn't mess up the natural balance and handling characteristics of my gun, it kept the natural beauty and lines of a lever gun and the best part of it all is that I am pretty doggone accurate with my old gun out to 100yards...and all of this with bad eyes. These things are sturdy and built to last.

Here are a few makers

http://www.skinnersights.com/winchester_26.html

https://williamsgunsight.com/shop-williams-gun-sights/

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights/lyman-66-receiver-peep-sights.html

I would go check out marlinowners.com for some great advice on lever rifles and sighting

LTE

If you need a mount, I think I have one, just have to find it.

FOLES55

DONT SCOPE THAT GUN, IT CAN KILL DEER FINE JUST THE WAY IT IS.
DO YOUR DAD AND YOURSELF A FAVOR AND HUNT LIKE HE DID WITH IT.

I TOOK THAT CHALLENGE AND IT WORKED OUT PERFECTLY FOR ME AND WAS SO MUCH MORE REWARDING IN THE END.

IRON SIGHTS, IRON SIGHTS, IRON SIGHTS

Attachments

• IMG_4580.JPG
    IMG_4580.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 4