Winchester Hi-Wall

oppthepop

Hey friends - I'm having a serious craving for a single shot Winchester Hi Wall. Probably in .308 or maybe even a 7mm mag. Anybody got any experience with this rifle?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I have a Browning High Wall Model 1885 in 270 caliber. Had it for 25 years or so. It`s the only centerfire rifle I use. I love it better than any rifle I`ve ever seen or used.

I`ll be buried with it.

oppthepop

I have a Browning High Wall Model 1885 in 270 caliber. Had it for 25 years or so. It`s the only centerfire rifle I use. I love it better than any rifle I`ve ever seen or used.

I`ll be buried with it.
Was that Browning made in Japan like the Winchesters are? Not opposed to it, just curious.

Lilly001

I have two of the Browning B78 models. 45-70 & 30-06.
I also have a late model production (2000’s I think) Winchester 1885 in 300 WSM.
There are subtle differences in each but they are favorites.
Just be careful taking them apart if you get one. There are tricks to reassembly.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I have a Browning 1885 High Wall in .270 as well. I think..not 100%..that in Browning the High Walls were Long Action rounds and the Low Wall were Short Action rounds...however the .22-250 came in either. Saw a High Wall .22-250 at Adel Outfitters once...it was about $600 over my budget.

pacecars

Browning made the Low Wall in .243 Winchester also. I think the cost now is somewhere in the left nut range if you can find one for sale

pacecars

Love the Hi Wall. Would really like to have a half round barrel in .40-70