Winchester LB coast me a Rio!!

TheTurkeySlayer

I shot 4 round of LB #5s out of my Mossberg 500 and had no problem with it before the season. I've killed 2 birds this year with it.

BigPimpin

I saw it happen to gabowman21 a couple weeks ago and I saw it happen to him again today. We both shoot 835s, but it hasnt happened in mine. patterned the #5 xr through a sumtoy today against the hw6 federals. the xr's held a better pattern, so i would hate to give them up for fear of a misfire.

Killdee

Just curious, how does the primer look, is it like a normal fired shell with a good solid dent in the primer or just a shallow dent? Compare it to some spent shells from several different guns and ammo and maybe yall can narrow it down to whether its the ammo or the gun.

QuackAddict

Took my cousin on his first turkey hunt a couple weeks ago. Let him use my 835 and he brought a box of LB 3.5" 5s. Wanted him to practice the afternoon before so I setup a target for him to take a few shots. First shell fired just fine but then had 2 in a row that would not fire. Primer looked just like the one that fired. Put in one of my hevishot shells and it fired fine.

When I had first read about this I was thinking people just had dirty 835s(mine would not fire in the past and after I broke it down completely it fired fine).

I will say that the pattern on the LB was amazing compared to the hevishot but there is no way I would rely on the LB in my 835.

turk2di

Must be something with Mossberg and Winchester primers???

I shot a sporting clays tourney yesterday and the team in front of us had 2 guys shooting Mossbergs and they would not fire the Winchester shells....put them in my Beretta....boom, boom, boom. I ended up trading shells with them so they could finish up.

Really strange?????

I used that same shell in my Mosberg, 3 shots, 3 kills..Perhaps a problem with a particular plant?

GaBowman21

Just seen another misfire with these shells and my buddies (BigPimpin) 835 yesterday. Called a pair of long beards into his lap only to hear that dreaded click. It is a sickening noise. Luckily, I learned my lesson last year and have since retired my 835 to my gun safe and bought a Stoeger M3500. I ended up killing one of the other birds while he was trying to shuck and reload another shell. Needless to say, probably won't ever see that gun again in the turkey woods. It is a great patterning gun if you are shooting paper just not reliable with that shell combo.

Killdee

Have any of you guys tried loading the dented shell in another type gun to see if its the shell or the gun?

QuackAddict

When was the last time he completely broke down his gun and cleaned it? I was having misfire issues and it turned out to be a dirty gun issue.

warmouth

Check all the long beards clinched ends. I have nothing but good to say about them as far as patterning at up to 50 yemards. However, me and a buddy bought 4 boxes from 3 different places and 4 to 6 shells were sealed with an epoxy like resin on the end. I thought it was like a melted end, but it was clear and extremely hard. We have taken them back and swapped them. Just a heads up, as this could be dangerous.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Have any of you guys tried loading the dented shell in another type gun to see if its the shell or the gun?

This seems like a good way to answer your ? I've shot almost 2 boxes threw my Winchester 1300 and as far as I'm concerned they can quit making all the rest !!!

The mtn man

I know several folks that have had this issue with the 835. A friend of my sons bought a new one this year, it was clicking with the LB ammo, so we tried some target loads and probably 1 out of 5 of those clicked the same way, I suggested he send the gun back, we tried a couple of the LB loads with the dented primers in an 870, they went bang every time.

Killdee

I know several folks that have had this issue with the 835. A friend of my sons bought a new one this year, it was clicking with the LB ammo, so we tried some target loads and probably 1 out of 5 of those clicked the same way, I suggested he send the gun back,

we tried a couple of the LB loads with the dented primers in an 870, they went bang every time.

Thats the answer I was looking for, sounds more like a Mossburg issue to me.

Killdee

Check all the long beards clinched ends. I have nothing but good to say about them as far as patterning at up to 50 yemards. However, me and a buddy bought 4 boxes from 3 different places and 4 to 6 shells were sealed with an epoxy like resin on the end. I thought it was like a melted end, but it was clear and extremely hard. We have taken them back and swapped them. Just a heads up, as this could be dangerous.

The resin is what holds the shot together for the tighter patterns is my understanding.

I seal the ends of all my handloads with clear glue to waterproof em.

GaBowman21

It is definitely a gun issue but not a cleaning issue. Both of our 835s were clean. I love LBs and continue to use them in my 870 and Stoeger M3500. Just won't ever shoot another out of my 835.

JMB

Same thing happened to me in Texas on a Rio. Two actually lined up and 'poof'. One bird hung around and I could have shot him, but played it safe and good thing. the shot cup was lodged about 8'' from the choke tube. Had some issues with Blindside in duck season as well; one double charge that nearly blew up my buddy's Benelli (actually forced the breech back and separated the receiver) and a few that did not fire and/or lodged the shot cup in the barrel.

straightshooter

Most of the time these misfires are caused by one of two things: deep seated primer in the ammo or a light hitting firing pin in the gun. I've shot at least a dozen LB in my Super-X2 turkey gun with no problems. Have shot cases of BlindSide ammo in my Beretta Extrema2 with zero problems. You also want to make sure the breech is totally closed on all semi-autos as well. Lots of problems like this documented with Benellis. Others can have the same problem, especially when you ease the action shut to load a shell in the chamber early in teh morning.

T-N-T

I have been running Longbeards through a Mossy 535 with no problem.
IF it goes click one day and I dont kill the turkey, it wont be the end of the world.
Calling him up is the fun part, not pulling the trigger.

trophyslayer

Are these newer model 835s? I've had one for 12 years that has never misfired and unlike my other guns it doesn't get cleaned. I've paddled boats with that thing, hammered in stakes for dove blinds, etc. and have never had an issue. I only shoot 3 inch longbeards though... probably 3 boxes total down the pipe and nothing but good results for me.