Winchester segmented 22

Baroque Brass

I picked up a box of these today, I wanted something low velocity for varmint control. I’ve been shooting Federal Gold Match which are solid lead. Very accurate but shot placement needs to be good, and usually it was. I’m out of the Federals, can’t get them anymore. Academy didn’t have the CCI segmented so I got the Winchesters. Anybody used em? They’re a bit pricey at $10 for fifty rounds.

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Dont know about "low velocity" but I still have some of the original Triton Industries Quick Shok MPB ( magnum performance bullet) ammo before they sold the patent to CCI. It has 3 strands of copper wire running lengthwise inside the segmented hollowpoint bullet. Its my understanding it was designed by the same guy that designed the hydrashok. Really really nasty stuff for rimfire. Velocity for the Triton version runs 1500+ from my 10/22 and works as advertised. Not sure about the Winchester but the segmented Triton and CCI stuff is a sure varmint stopper.

Baroque Brass

The Winchesters are rated at 1060 FPS. Tried a few on paper, accuracy is good so far. Dispatched one critter, the cartridge worked as advertised. The round is a little louder than expected, I wish obtaining a suppressor wasn’t so expensive and such a hassle.

Baroque Brass

Ok, I’m pretty impressed with these. Accuracy is very good, does a lot of damage to the critter on the receiving end. The rounds were actually developed as a self defense handgun round, rated at 1060 FPS from a three inch barrel so I guess that’s why they’re a bit loud. I’d guess velocity is probably around 1100 FPS out of my sixteen inch barrel. Except for the price, I’d recommend these.

Baroque Brass

These do a lot of damage so it would need to be headshots on squirrels since they don’t have much meat to begin with. If you toss the shoulders anyway, a shoulder shot would definitely be effective.