Wind proof jacket

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
When it starts getting below 40 degrees or the rare day its windy. I have been using a wool sweater with windstopper in it for years. For various reasons im looking for something new.
Obviously it needs to be not only wind proof but relatively quite at the same time. It needs a full zip and pockets for my hands.

Any suggestions.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I have a Sitka Dakota jacket that's made of gore wind stopper. I was in Iowa last week and I used it and a drake fleece lined pullover on different days. The drake was much better at cutting wind and keeping me warm at less that half the price. More comfortable too.

When it starts getting below 40 degrees or the rare day its windy. I have been using a wool sweater with windstopper in it for years. For various reasons im looking for something new.
Obviously it needs to be not only wind proof but relatively quite at the same time. It needs a full zip and pockets for my hands.

Any suggestions.

Full length OutBack oil skin duster.

craSSh

I have the Predator fleece jacket and pants. Very comfortable and quiet. It has served me well over the years.

benellisbe

I prefer KUIU over Sitka. I have several jackets from KUIU that are light weight and help cut the wind, better prices than Sitka also.

uturn

Try a Heater Suit once...not that it's a jacket but, they are in a league of their own!!

And I agree on the before mentioned as well and all are top of the line gear!

I have come up with a pretty good system that has worked very well for me... I have a light and heavy weight down jacket they are super light and very packable. And, choose whichever accordly..I pack it in and when I need it I shed my outter whatever jacket I have on and slip on my down then back on my other and zero wind issues and zero noise from the down! Toasty...If that should ever become I problem then I slip in the Heater Suit too!!

Probably not thinking that is very mobile but, you'd be surprise all I do is archery hunt and get around pretty well I think...

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Cabelas Wooltimate.

I have two and they are nice.

Might be a little warm for the conditions you are describing, though.

strothershwacker

A cheap pvc raincoat under your regular hunting jacket is as wind "proof" as I've found and I've tried a buncha different stuff including some of the pricey stuff done mentioned here. Not your good expensive raingear. It's gotta be one em plastic rubber pvc jobs. Back years ago K-mart use to sell em that where insulated fer bout $20. Now we buy polyester AKA plastic clothes that cost hundreds of dollars. Go figure?

Sixes

Here is a great deal (half price) if you wear one of the available sizes.

https://www.firstlite.com/woodbury-jacket.html

Best hunting jacket that I have ever used and I have tried a lot of them over the years. I used to be a big Cabelas outfitter fleece fan until I found First Lite products. Half the weight, half the bulk and extremely comfortable