Wireless Camera Batteries

kwarner

Thread starter #1
I am running several wireless cams and ha e always used lithium batteries. Was wondering what everyone else has had success with?

N

NantucketShedHunter

I run a wireless camera and learned a long time ago to use an external battery.

I run a wireless camera and learned a long time ago to use an external battery.
Ditto! I use the external battery on several cameras. Had the best luck with the 6v battery box/solar panel that sells for $39.95 at Cabela's. But I'm beginning to experiment with stacking two 6v batteries in parallel. Also bought the materials to attach a mini 12v with transformer to step it down to 6v.

Thats what I did and it works great! I got the 12v to 6v step down from eBay for like $8 and hooked up a deep cycle battery...problem solved
Ditto! I use the external battery on several cameras. Had the best luck with the 6v battery box/solar panel that sells for $39.95 at Cabela's. But I'm beginning to experiment with stacking two 6v batteries in parallel. Also bought the materials to attach a mini 12v with transformer to step it down to 6v.
any pictures of these set ups looking to do the same

shdw633

I bought a solar panel for mine and it's going on 3 months with the batteries still being at 100%

gahunter70

Here is a video showing a hybrid solar charger I built. All the links to the parts are in the comments of the video. This has been out since 4/26/17 and is still going strong. Also there have been several others who built them using the links I provided and have reported the same results. The camera being used is a Spartan GoCam on Verizon that is also running in realtime mode which keeps the camera connected to the server at all times. The drawback to that is high power consumption. I did this to test the limits of the solar charger which has kept up perfectly.
https://www.facebook.com/spartantrailcams/videos/10155106252992777/

I also use and build some dual 6v 12ah battery setups. I use the duals because of a more compact box than a 6v 42ah battery will fit in not to mention I can get 5 of the 12 ah batteries on ebay for the price of on 42 ah. I have gotten up to 6mths with these. The way I have them wired for parallel you can still use just one battery and you could do the same with a 12v if that is what your camera requires. Again the Spartan uses 6v. The system isn't letting me upload anymore at the moment so I will later. I also have found a source for a large enough 6v panel (5 watt) and built a compact 6v solar charger using a single 6v 12ah battery that is working great but it wasn't cheap to build. It is much more compact than the hybrid unit.

Old Crusty

I've considered using an external battery, but since I started using lithium batteries I don't think it would be worth the hassle. I get about 6-10 weeks out of a set, and the camera stays very mobile since I move mine around quite often. The external battery would be fine if you're leaving it in one place for a long time.