Wisconsin Killings

Mauiboy

I know alot you might have already heard of the tragic killings of the 6 deer hunters up in Wisconsin and I wanted to know some of your thoughts.
Remember we can only speculate at some of the reports and draw our own conclusions on what we hear.
First, it's a very sad day in the hunting community when any hunter dies out in the field. This incident has alot of racial over tones to it. I have read that before this incident, that particular community has been having problems with the Loas hunters trespassing on to private property not caring about property lines and boundries. Not long ago I read a post on this site about the Mexicans and their carelessness to rules and hunting ethics. I'm sure alot of us have dealt with trepassers, poachers, law breakers. Could this be the case in Wisconsin?
Second, There should not be confrontations among hunters where one decides that killing another is the only solution, how does this happen? Are we not reasonable and responsible hunters? I think alot of people just don't care anymore and they don't respect anyone anymore.
Lastly, I know this one incident is not a reflection of the hunting community and the goings-on among us BUT you can hear the "Anti-s" gearing up support.
I could write a thesis right here but those are my thoughts for now and I welcome yours.

Allan

mpowell

Mauiboy said:
Lastly, I know this one incident is not a reflection of the hunting community and the goings-on among us BUT you can hear the "Anti-s" gearing up support.

seems that the anti's would probably be happy this nutcase killed some ethical hunters. matter of fact, in their warped way of thinking, they might just condone hunters shooting each other. less hunters to harvest animals.

Razorback

Also,

Because the "hunter" shooter used a SKS 7.62x39 weapon w/ a 20 round magazine... It will be stired for sure.

Skipper

Banned
I've read a lot of reports of this and keep seeing some things in them that disturbs me and others that make no sense at all.

First off, every report I saw early on said that the shooter was hunting with an SKS, "A common deer hunting rifle". I just can't immagine an SKS being that common. Maybe I'm just not informed, but about every hunter I know uses either a bolt action or a lever hunting rifle. I'm sure there are a few SKS users out there, but I wouldn't name it as a "Common Hunting Rifle" I would venture a guess that Marlin lever guns outnumber SKS's about 20 to 1 and probably pretty close to that number of Remmington 700's. I know a few who hunt with semi auto Remmingtons, but not very many. I'm not against owning an SKS or having one to toy with at the range, but I really don't think it very sporting to hunt deer with a semi-auto with a 20 round magazine. I normally fill my rifle with the 4 to 6 shells it holds depending on which one I take, and may put a couple extras in my pocket. To date, I have never needed the extras in my pocket, and really could have gotten by with 3 or less in the gun. Each to his own I guess.

Second, I've seen several whinny stories about how the Loatians now fear the wrath of the angry white hunters in the area. I'll say this. I bet the next guy who goes to run a Laotian off his property doesn't take his finger off the trigger or his sights off the guy's head. It would seem to me that the Laotians need to learn how to spell "No Tresspassing" and "Private Property" and know what those words mean. I'd think they won't have any problems if they stay off of other's land and stay out of someone else's tree stand.

Third, I heard one story on the radio today that said the landowners fired first. I don't believe that, but obviously wasn't there and the first 6 on sight won't be admitting to it. I noticed that all stories agreed that the man climbed down, started walking, then turned and started firing. To me, and I may be dead wrong, this suggests that the guys doing the running off may have used some sort of racial slur toward the guy. I'm not sure what you call a laotian, but probably something similar to the N word for a black guy. I know that Orientals can and do get a bit testy over name calling whether it's meant in seriousness or jest. I once made the mistake of calling a waiter at a restaurant "Hopsing" after that guy on Bonanza. He got madder than that guy in the Jerry Clower joke that the porter put off the train in Wynona. I thought he was literally going to beat me right there in that booth.

I know one thing sure, according to the information I have read, there were 20 some hunters in that group. That leaves 12 still walking around. If I were the Deputy who had to lead "Hopsing" to the court house, I wouldn't want to stand too close to him, maybe back a few feet.

Skipper