Wish me luck please!!!

Al,
First let me add some more Good Luck and second I say your work making all that is mighty impressive.
A buddy of mine once said I’m not a hunter till I made all my own.
Well Sir you are a hunter and I can’t wait to see your game.

Thread starter #42

Al33

Well, I was in a tree just as I am now when I made my previous post. I submitted it, put my phone mn my pocket, looked to my right only to see a tall racked 4 pointer start ng at me 12 yards away. 😄 He kept staring for another half minute moved about 15 more yards away and stared some more. He came in on somehoghground that put me only 6-8 feet higher than him. He was standing just to the right of the dark green shrub. The pic of my broken point from a shot at a doe last PM. Those water oaks are tough n stone points. 😄

Attachments

Thread starter #43

Al33

Al,
First let me add some more Good Luck and second I say your work making all that is mighty impressive.
A buddy of mine once said I’m not a hunter till I made all my own.
Well Sir you are a hunter and I can’t wait to see your game.
Thank you! I do a lot more hunting than I do killing. 😊

Triple C

Al...Keep swinging brother! I've missed already on a 12 yd shot. Still consider myself a newbie to traditional and I tell you that it's much harder than what I thought it would be. Tough to get em within 12 yds and not get busted trying to draw on em. And I ain't shootin what I made like you! Keep posting!

Thread starter #46

Al33

Well folks, an update is in order as the season comes to a close. I would have certainly let you know had I been successful, lol , but I did not as it relates to getting a deer or bear. However, it was successful in many other ways. I have truly enjoyed the challenges hunting with primitive tools presents and am only inspired to keep at it. My records show I spent 188 hours in a tree with my bow and this doesn't include the first two weeks of the season while hunting primarily for bear which I never saw.

I had multiple opportunities I did not capitalize on missing a chip shot on a nice buck because I got too anxious and making a good stick on a doe I never found. A game cam video of the doe 15 minutes after the stick showed the arrow was perfect for the 10 yard quartering away shot but lacked good penetration. I can only surmise the stone point hit a rib and perhaps broke the tip off the head stopping it's penetration. I also missed another doe with a difficult but makeable shot. I passed on two shots I would have taken with my regular trad bows so as you can see I had an exciting season despite not accomplishing my goals.

I put the bow down a few times to hunt with a 1943 M1 Carbine I inherited from my brother early in 2018 wanting to get a deer with it and killed four so I have meat.:)
I'm now thinking turkey. Thanks for all the good luck wishes, encouraging words, and for following along in my pursuits. Hopefully I will have more positive results to report in the future.