WMA Hunter Ethics

chefrific

I pulled into my favorite spot at the Ocmulgee WMA yesterday. Parked, but as I walked in I noticed a truck that pulled further up than me had already parked. I turned around, got back in my truck and left (as a courtesy). As I was driving out I met another young guy pulling up to same spot. I told him that someone was already there and he still pulled up and got out!
That's just rude in my book. Thousands of acres and this bozo has to get out where someone already was. makes no sense..

Resica

I pulled into my favorite spot at the Ocmulgee WMA yesterday. Parked, but as I walked in I noticed a truck that pulled further up than me had already parked. I turned around, got back in my truck and left (as a courtesy). As I was driving out I met another young guy pulling up to same spot. I told him that someone was already there and he still pulled up and got out!
That's just rude in my book. Thousands of acres and this bozo has to get out where someone already was. makes no sense..

If there are thousands of acres available at that particular parking spot, the guy has legs, he can put ground between him and the other guy.

If I had to hunt a spot around southeastern Pa. that no one was parked at I'd never get to hunt, it's just a fact of hunting here. Pa. has 250,000 spring turkey hunters or something like that. Can get busy on public land in the southeast part of the state. Doesn't bother me if someone parks in the same parking lot as me either, good bit of land, fewer parking places.

Up in the mountains is a different story. Can pull off pretty much anywhere in the state forest and hunt. Easier to get away from or not see another hunter.

chefrific

If there are thousands of acres available at that particular parking spot, the guy has legs, he can put ground between him and the other guy.

If I had to hunt a spot around southeastern Pa. that no one was parked at I'd never get to hunt, it's just a fact of hunting here. Pa. has 250,000 spring turkey hunters or something like that. Can get busy on public land in the southeast part of the state. Doesn't bother me if someone parks in the same parking lot as me either, good bit of land, fewer parking places.

Up in the mountains is a different story. Can pull off pretty much anywhere in the state forest and hunt. Easier to get away from or not see another hunter.

I'm just not comfortable not knowing which way or where a hunter may or may not be when I see a parked vehicle. Legs or not. Not only do I want to walk up on his set and possibly ruin his/her hunt, but I don't want to get myself shot either. I know that sounds extreme, but what I meant by "thousands of acres" is that the entire WMA has plenty enough spots to park and walk in without potentially being on top of someone else.
It comes down to 1. Safety 2. Courtesy 3. Being too close and either their calling or tactics or my calling or tactics busts the hunt.
If I know that the WMA tract I'm hunting is say 5,700 acres. I'm pretty sure I can find another spot to park and walk in.

Resica

The difference in Yankees and southern boys.

Whatever buddy.

I'm just not comfortable not knowing which way or where a hunter may or may not be when I see a parked vehicle. Legs or not. Not only do I want to walk up on his set and possibly ruin his/her hunt, but I don't want to get myself shot either. I know that sounds extreme, but what I meant by "thousands of acres" is that the entire WMA has plenty enough spots to park and walk in without potentially being on top of someone else.
It comes down to 1. Safety 2. Courtesy 3. Being too close and either their calling or tactics or my calling or tactics busts the hunt.
If I know that the WMA tract I'm hunting is say 5,700 acres. I'm pretty sure I can find another spot to park and walk in.
I guess I should clarify. The spot I'm thinking of has only 3 spots to park, most of the road frontage is private property. It's a different situation than having unlimited road frontage parking. Once you get in, there is access to 10,000 or so acres so you can certainly spread out. Only had trouble with another guy once.

Resica

With about 230,000 spring turkey hunters in Pa. compared to 60,000 in your state as well as our state being smaller than yours, one becomes accustomed to more than 1 car being parked at a spot, just the way it is, no biggie. I actually run into other turkey hunters in the woods and fields on occasion, if you can imagine that.;)

blong

Why in the world are there so many spring turkey hunters there? Seems that a newbie would get tired of having to share the woods with so many others and only the die hards would be out and about. How are the success rates there, is the turkey population decent?

T-N-T

Nothing wrong with parking at the same spot of you walk a different direction.
I parked behind a guy once to deer hunt. He looked angry. I got out and said which way you headed? He continued to look angry.
I just murmured that I was going to try and stay away but whatever he wanted. ...
there was roughly 1000 acres accessed from the spot. I didn't figure he had the rights to it all

Resica

Why in the world are there so many spring turkey hunters there? Seems that a newbie would get tired of having to share the woods with so many others and only the die hards would be out and about. How are the success rates there, is the turkey population decent?

I don't know, we just have a lot of hunters and trappers. Between 750,000 and a million deer hunters, 130,000 fall turkey hunters, 91,000 grouse hunters and I think well over 100,000 trappers.

There have always been a ton of hunters and you just get used to the numbers, doesn't seem weird because it's all I know. I think I saw where the success rates are 30% in the best Wildlife Management Units, the state is divided into 24(i think) units. The statewide success average is 19% I think.

Like other states we are apparently seeing declines in the population. It looks like the game commission puts the estimated population at a little less than 200,000 birds.

Resica

The woods do see less hunters after a couple of weeks. Can't wait to get out. Our season doesn't even start for another 23 days.

Regarding ethics on WMA's in Georgia-seems that there should be some sort of required educational class that one had to complete - not just the hunter education program required to buy a hunting license-but one specifically geared toward the acquisition of a WMA stamp. No Course-no WMA Stamp. At present-if you have completed the hunter ed course or are of a certain age you can buy the stamp in addition to the regular hunting license. I would suggest a fee for the course and an increase in WMA fees overall.

T-N-T

Regarding ethics on WMA's in Georgia-seems that there should be some sort of required educational class that one had to complete - not just the hunter education program required to buy a hunting license-but one specifically geared toward the acquisition of a WMA stamp. No Course-no WMA Stamp. At present-if you have completed the hunter ed course or are of a certain age you can buy the stamp in addition to the regular hunting license. I would suggest a fee for the course and an increase in WMA fees overall.

Class, fine. Id bite that.
More money, no way. I pay about $60 a year now for my activities. Thats just enough.

bunnyhunter

I hunt public land and have always left a spot if a vehicle was their before me. However, I walk 4-5 miles while turkey hunting and I have yet to walk up on anyone. If I do in the future it's totally by accident. Just remember we all listen for the gobble and precide to his location not knowing if someone else is nearby. Be careful everyone and safe hunting.

Riverrat84

Regarding ethics on WMA's in Georgia-seems that there should be some sort of required educational class that one had to complete - not just the hunter education program required to buy a hunting license-but one specifically geared toward the acquisition of a WMA stamp. No Course-no WMA Stamp. At present-if you have completed the hunter ed course or are of a certain age you can buy the stamp in addition to the regular hunting license. I would suggest a fee for the course and an increase in WMA fees overall.[/QUOTE

There's a book written on ethics, it starts with a capital B and ends with an e. A five letter word, every true turkey hunter should read it. I can promise you that beautiful bird didn't come from a bacteria in a Big Bang. I got bacteria behind my toilet and it ain't gobbling yet. I'm sorry for getting off topic but this world would be in much better shape if the simple Ten Commandments were followed everywhere, including WMA's.

Latest posts