WMA opening morning bird.

chrislibby88

I didn’t come into yesterday very optimistic with the cold, windy, and overcast conditions. As suspected there wasn’t much gobbling at daybreak, my wife and I heard two distant birds roosted on private, one to the east, and one to the south. We slowly worked our way down the ridge stopping to listen, and doing some very light calling. Got a response once from the bird to the east, so we started working towards the southern ridge point. We set up on the end and did some calling with no response and sat about 45 minutes, then stood up and hit a crow call, and the bird from the east hammered down on the property border. We slipped as quietly as possible down to the creek bottom and set up about 20 yards from where I missed a bird last year and started some mild calling with no response and started waiting. After maybe 20 minutes of silence we both heard some stepping in the leaves at the creek, started looking, and a bird is about 80 yards out making its way down to us, silent, but popping into strut every few steps. He has a full fan and a medium length beard. I start working my gun up to him as he hops the creek and steps behind trees and follow him as he cautiously takes a few steps, struts, then stops and looks for the hens he heard earlier. He eventually steps into a perfect shooting lane at what I think is 40 yards, and I squeeze one off, but instead of a boom, I get a loud click. I immediately start whisper cursing, and my wife starts whispering “what happened? Is something wrong with your gun?” I had a dud primer, and this bird is about to get away. Somehow the bird didn’t hear it and he is still standing there looking around, so after a moment of thinking I start to quietly work action and slowly manage to get the bad shell out, everything is going ok, some noise, but all the movement is in line with my body, but he’s starting to notice something isn’t right and keep flipping from eye to eye looking in our direction, neck stretched and alert. He finally has enough and starts turning back to the creek keeping an eye on us as he walks away, so I rack the new round in, and luckily he turns at the creek rather than hop over and heads back parallel so I throw my dot up, pull, and he flops down into the creek. Not sure how I managed to get a new shell in with a bird at 40 yards but it worked out. My wife filmed the whole thing on her phone. It took me 4 minutes to cycle the action, and the bird was in front of us for a total of 6 minutes. He oddly had no spurs, but a full fan and a maybe 8 inch beard. Super cool hunt.

Attachments

• F67CD556-17C0-45C3-841B-16BDB96B5EE1.jpeg
    F67CD556-17C0-45C3-841B-16BDB96B5EE1.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 132
  • A92F9680-8581-453C-908B-DF050DBD3998.jpeg
    A92F9680-8581-453C-908B-DF050DBD3998.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 131
  • D1791BA5-09EE-4EE4-A96B-94EF00E2B60B.jpeg
    D1791BA5-09EE-4EE4-A96B-94EF00E2B60B.jpeg
    471.8 KB · Views: 131
  • 880312A3-8495-4051-AFB6-181EB0735C69.jpeg
    880312A3-8495-4051-AFB6-181EB0735C69.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 133

chrislibby88

Great hunt, you think it was the shell or the gun? If shell, what brand, dont need that happening.
Shell. Never had an issue with this gun or any ammo in the 4 years I’ve owned it. Ammo was Hevishot magnum blend, same ammo I’ve been shooting. The primer had a good dimple on it. I’m gonna keep shooting it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 40

Hoosier06

DIPSTICK yankee
As an AAR, can you go try to fire that shell? I am wondering if it would be better to crack the action to re-cock and attempt to fire on the second primer strike over shucking a new one in the tube.

chrislibby88

As an AAR, can you go try to fire that shell? I am wondering if it would be better to crack the action to re-cock and attempt to fire on the second primer strike over shucking a new one in the tube.
Probably would have been. I didn’t wanna take a chance at a second click though, since opening and closing the action enough to recock it is about as noisy as feeding a new round in.

I am going to try and refire that shell in my yard at some point. I’ve had light strikes on crappy steel handgun ammo, and I reload it and it always fires on the second try.

devolve

Very nicely done ma’am and sir! I had the exact same thing happen last year. It was a light primer strike. My bolt carrier was dirty. Same action as your gun.
Unfortunately for me, my bird heard the click and dove off a ridge top before I could blink ?

Buckman18

I had that happen to me last year on a gobbler. Mossberg 835 and a 3.5” longbeard.

Somehow the bird didn’t spook and when he walked behind a big tree I pumped another shell in. He stuck his head out to look for the source of the noise and 2oz of #5’s hit him in the face.

I pulled out the bolt and soaked it in brake cleaner. The 100 shells since have fired perfectly.

Big7

The Oracle
Nice bird.
Congratulations ?

Nice Shotgun too...

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Glad ya got him! Musta been a tense 4 minutes! I'm afraid my nerves woulda scared the bird away had it'a been me. Congrats!!!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Congrats on a fine hunt and bird ! I’ve killed 2 like that with no spurs , I’d consider it a trophy ?

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Woohoo! Man that’s awesome! Way to go kid! Thanks for taking is with you too!

I Don’t know how focused I’d have been with that pretty young lady sitting next to me though….just saying:wink:
You’re a lucky man bro:rockon:

chrislibby88

Very nicely done ma’am and sir! I had the exact same thing happen last year. It was a light primer strike. My bolt carrier was dirty. Same action as your gun.
Unfortunately for me, my bird heard the click and dove off a ridge top before I could blink ?
I had that happen to me last year on a gobbler. Mossberg 835 and a 3.5” longbeard.

Somehow the bird didn’t spook and when he walked behind a big tree I pumped another shell in. He stuck his head out to look for the source of the noise and 2oz of #5’s hit him in the face.

I pulled out the bolt and soaked it in brake cleaner. The 100 shells since have fired perfectly.
Yea I need to clean it. I haven’t cleaned it since I got it.

chrislibby88

Glad ya got him! Musta been a tense 4 minutes! I'm afraid my nerves woulda scared the bird away had it'a been me. Congrats!!!
Man this was probably the most calm and composed I’ve ever been on a bird. Something about them coming in silent just doesn’t get me torn up like a fired up bird, and I had plenty of time to calm down while he was working his way into range.