Women in Islam & Judaeo-Christian religions

Denton

Then you know why I said it is specific.

This is going in circles. Please put some effort in your response and explain why it is specific. My response explains why I don't think so. Your response is just you putting your fingers in your ears and pouting. I'm here for a debate not a shouting match.

Denton

I've put in a lot of effort when this topic has come up before. Use the search function. I'm tired of repeating myself.

I searched "Acts 10" through your posts and didn't see anything regarding its specificity between God's message and Peter's interpretation of it in the almost 500 posts that the computer thought might be helpful but none of them actually contained the phrase "Acts 10". I don't think you've really said anything about Acts 10 before. If you have, you can just copy and paste it here. Otherwise please be helpful in your other future posts.

centerpin fan

I searched "Acts 10" through your posts and didn't see anything regarding its specificity between God's message and Peter's interpretation of it in the almost 500 posts that the computer thought might be helpful but none of them actually contained the phrase "Acts 10". I don't think you've really said anything about Acts 10 before. If you have, you can just copy and paste it here. Otherwise please be helpful in your other future posts.

I never mentioned Acts 10. I referenced Acts 15.

centerpin fan

But we're talking Acts 10 and the cleansing of all meat. I don't know why you referenced Acts 15.

Because it relates to the topic at hand!

You were lamenting the fact that Acts 10 was not specific, so I said, "Acts 15 is specific." It discusses the law's application to the Gentiles in very specific terms, and Peter is the spokesman.

mtnwoman

So you can pick which parts of the bible apply to you?

I was saved under the new covenant and because of the new covenant. I don't have to kill a lamb for passover or take grain to the store house, do you? I don't have to light candles or wear a scarf on my head, does your wife or do other women at your church. Are they picking and choosing also? Do they sit apart from the men? I try to abide by the 10 commandments and do not pluck out others eyes, do you? I don't get what your asking me. If you follow all the laws of the OT, good for you. I guess, obviously by your question you are insinuating that you don't pick and choose, and you follow all the laws of the OT....am I correct?

Last edited:

mtnwoman

Also, nowhere in this passage does it say that Peter broke with his previous dietary laws. Nowhere does he eat pork or anything else. Nor is "keeping company" a euphemism for eating food it's just to spend time together. I wish this passage was more specific. A common ailment of the Bible.

Peter was a Jew....do practicing Jews today eat pork? Do they believe in Christ?

I am not a Jew and at least obviously Peter was talking about dietary laws, God was not. For us gentiles eating outside of the dietary laws made us unclean, but God considered us clean or could be cleansed by hearing and the believing gospel. I eat pork but washed in the blood of Christ, which makes me clean...I would be considered unclean by orthodox Jews I suppose, but Christ's blood has cleansed me...that's what I get out of the scripture.

mtnwoman

But we're talking Acts 10 and the cleansing of all meat. I don't know why you referenced Acts 15.
I eat beef and pork and chicken, not all meat. Some meat is just nasty to a lot of us...cat, dogs,lions, elephants, giraffes, goats, rodents, etc etc. I believe the scripture, again, means that even though the gentiles lived by different rules didn't mean we were unclean as long as we accepted Christ for who He was, irregardless of our practices. We (gentiles) did not have to abide by Jewish 'judicial/government' laws to be accepted/invited into salvation. I'd love to meet one person who can abide by all the law and perfect enough to enter heaven because of that reason. Scripture tells me that there is none who are sinless....and I believe that.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Interesting from a sociological study is the difference our Gods place on women in our religion. Islam, Judaism, & Christianity all have patriarchal doctrines.

1. The Bible Convicts Women as the original Sinners, (ie. Eve picking from the forbidden tree){Genesis 2:4-3:24}. The Koran Clarifies it was Adam Not Eve {Qur'an 7:19-25}
2. The Bible says "The Birth of a Daughter is a loss" {Ecclesiasticus 22:3}. The Qur'an says both are an Equal Blessing { Qur'an 42:49}
3. The Bible Forbids Women from Speaking in church {I Corinthians 14:34-35}. The Qur'an says Women Can argue with the Prophet {58:1}
4. In the Bible, divorced Women are Labeled as an Adulteress, while men are not {Matthew 5:31-32}. The Koran does Not have Biblical double standards { Qur'an 30:21}
5. In The Bible, Widows and Sisters do Not Inherit Any Property or Wealth, Only men do{Numbers 27:1-11}The Koran Abolished this male greediness { Qur'an 4:22} and God Protects All.
6. The Bible Allows Multiple Wives{I Kings 11:3} In The Koran, God limits the number to 4 only under certain situations (with the Wife's permission)and Prefers you Marry Only One Wife{ Qur'an 4:3} The Koran gives the Woman the Right to Choose who to Marry.
7. "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay the girl's father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the girl, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives" {Deuteronomy 22:28-30}
One must ask a simple question here, who is really punished, the man who raped the woman or the woman who was raped? According to the Bible, you have to spend the Rest of Your Life with the man who Raped You.
The Prophet Muhammad Says {Volume 9, Book 86, Number 101} Narrated by Aisha:" It is essential to have the consent of a virgin (for the marriage)".
Would the Christian men Reading this prefer the Women they know to Be Christian or Muslim?
8. The Bible also asks Women to wear veils as in Islam {I Corinthians 11:3-10}, this lowers the chance of rape, (God Forbid), see statistic link below.
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ra...
9. Women were given rights to Vote less than a 100 years ago in the (US), while the Quran (42:38) gave
Women Voting rights almost 1,500 years ago.
10. Islam has unconfined Women and has given them the human right to reach for the sky. There have been Muslim Women Presidents through out the centuries, but to this date, the oppressive mentality of the men in the Western U.S.A. has stopped any Women from becoming Presidents in predominately Christian countries,while the Muslim countries have voted for and elected Female Presidents.
Here is a list of previous Female Muslim leaders:
Khadija bint Khuwaylid
Aishah bint Abu Bakr
Fatimah bint Muhammad
Barakah
Ramlah bint Abu Sufyan
Rumaysa bint Milhan
Umm Salamah
Asma bint Abu Bakr
Zaynab al-Ghazali
Maryum Jameelah

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110504094422AAJ8ZCU

And then there's this:

RELIGION
Pregnant Woman Sentenced To Death For Converting To Christianity In Sudan

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/religion/pregnant-woman-sentenced-death-converting-christianity-sudan

Artfuldodger

This:

'You have no faith in God. I'm going to kill you before the community find out': Muslim father slapped and beat his 14-year-old daughter with a tennis racquet when she started dating white boy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-tennis-racquet-started-dating-white-boy.html

Good examples of bad things done in the name of religion. One question I have is why were women involved in all three of your examples?
Muslims do treat women way worse than Christians ever have. Why are these grown men treating women so hateful? Are they really that evil? What has made them so evil? Is it Satan or their fathers? Where did their hatred come from and when did it start? Is it related to religion in any way? Why does some religions promote hatred?
Muslims treat women like slavery. Is slavery a form of hatred or evil? How can one have sex with one they hate?

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

After listening to some of the music young people listen to on the radio, I must assume they hate women too. They just can't act on it because we have laws. I wonder how they would act if we didn't? What religion are they?

Artfuldodger

There was a time when people in the Bible had concubines. (Note that a concubine in the Old Testament context is not a mistress, but more like a lesser wife. The relationship was as binding as a marriage, although the concubine may not have had all the privileges of the full wives.) Perhaps the two most famous are Abraham and Jacob, although Kings David and Solomon also had numerous concubines.
While concubinage was at least accepted, if not approved, in the Old Testament, it is not acceptable for Christians.

http://www.minuteswithmessiah.com/question/concubines.html

The Bible notes several incidents of intercourse between a man and another man's concubine, and (rape excepted) none of them resulted in capital punishment for either party,[11][12][13] although the man to whom the concubine belonged was dishonored by such a relationship.[7] For instance, Jacob is dishonoured when his son Reuben sleeps with his concubine Bilhah [14] but the consequence is that Reuben is disgraced and cut out of the genealogical line.[15] David is portrayed as having been dishonored when his son Absalom deliberately has public sex with all his father's concubines on the roof of the palace, on the advice of David's former counsellor Ahithophel.[16] Absalom does this not just as an act of sexual potency but to show the nation that everything David had is now his, that he is the king and in total command and that David is disgraced, exiled and not coming back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concubinage

If I told everyone I had a concubine it would be viewed as hatred toward my wife. My wife would see it this way. If I had slaves and had sex with one of them, my wife would see it as hatred towards her. Concubinage hasn't always been viewed as evil and neither has having a mistress. Why would any man want to have sex with someone other than his wife knowing how it would make his wife feel? Why was this form of hatred once not a form of hatred?

oldfella1962

I guess someone forgot to tell the Kuwaitis:

"Kuwaiti women gained the right to vote and stand for political office in 2005 after years of campaigning and a push by senior ruling family members."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...ing-kuwait-idUSBRE9A208O20131103?feedType=RSS

What the Kuwaitis/Saudis say is legal (on paper, under the West's watchful eye) and what is actually allowed within families are two different things - just like the two different black eyes the women get if they actually do these things.

I guess someone forgot to tell the Saudis, too. Women there:

" ... are not allowed to travel abroad, open a bank account or work without permission from a male relative."

Who knew that the Religion of Peace was also the Religion of Women?

What the Kuwaitis/Saudis say is legal (on paper, under the West's watchful eye) and what is actually allowed within families are two different things - just like the two different black eyes the women get if they actually do these things.

Artfuldodger

LONDON (TrustLaw) - Afghanistan, Congo and Pakistan are the world's most dangerous countries for women due to a barrage of threats ranging from violence and rape to dismal healthcare and "honour killngs", a Thomson Reuters Foundation expert poll showed on Wednesday.

India and Somalia ranked fourth and fifth, respectively, in the global perceptions survey by TrustLaw, the Foundation's legal news service.

http://www.trust.org/item/?map=factsheet-the-worlds-most-dangerous-countries-for-women/

Artfuldodger

In 2011, Afghan President Hamid Karzai pardoned a teen girl who'd been jailed for adultery. She said she'd been raped and fell pregnant as a result. Karzai pardoned her on condition she marry her rapist. Mr. Karzai's government has jailed hundreds of women for having sex out of wedlock and other "moral crimes."

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia...-Afghan-women-caused-by-far-more-than-Taliban

That's a strange concept, being expected to marry your rapist.