Woodring - Carters Lake

I don't see much discussion about Carters Lake on here. The most accessible ramp from where I live is Woodring Branch. Does anyone fish that area ? I never have...yet. I am most interested in how deep to be fishing, which ought to be around the thermocline, for spotted bass, walleye, catfish, bluegill or other. I copied an underwater contour map and want to fish reasonably close to the put-in. Thanks to anyone who can advise me on this.

Was given a free guided striper trip there once. Supposedly one of the deepest lakes in the state ? Great striper fishing and I’ve heard good catfishing too

M80

Useles Billy’s Spiritual Counselor
It’s the de
Was given a free guided striper trip there once. Supposedly one of the deepest lakes in the state ? Great striper fishing and I’ve heard good catfishing too
elest lake east of the Mississippi River. Deepest spot is 444 feet. I saw it in a depth finder.

jocko755

I have only fished it once. I launched at Doll Mountain and went into Tails Creek. There is a finger peninsula there. I caught spotted bass and a big walleye bottom bouncing a craw colored jig with twin tail grub trailer, into the cuts and deeper areas.

Beautiful lake. I'd fish it if it was closer.

Attachments

• carters eye 5-26.jpg
    carters eye 5-26.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Hey Jocko - So what time of year was that, and how deep were you fishing ? I live 11 miles from that area, and use the Ridgeway ramp in tails creek. For SWIMMING, not for fishing. The ramp is so steep I can barely get back up. The woodring ramp is the easiest to use, but I haven't fished over there, yet. Trying to get more info before i go.

jocko755

It was early summer. My kids were also swimming. I'd cast to the bank and bottom walk it back to the boat. I'd feed it line to keep in contact with the bottom. Probably 30 ft. My first and only walleye. It thumped my jig and fought hard.