Woods Precision Super Seeder PSS60?

Thread starter #1
I am considering purchasing one of these units and need any/all available info. I do about 8 acres of food plots both spring and fall. Will be adding more food plots in the future and really need to start saving time. I have 3 young children, I live 6 hours from my land and it takes me 2 full Friday-Sunday weekends to complete if nothing goes wrong and something always goes wrong. You can see the need to speed things up, especially if I add another 5 or 6 acres of food plots. Currently I rotary till, cultipack, broadcast seed, cultipack again and/or drag the plots. I want a no till drill but have a 35hp tractor so any large equipment is not an option. The PSS60 is the closest to no till drill I could find. Thanks for the info or any advice.

Jim Boyd

Very interested to hear the comments.

I wonder about the tiller though - very slow. Why not just disc?

Thread starter #3
When purchasing I was pushed towards the tiller. I had never used either so I went with what was recommended. I have been happy with it and the results from the process, unfortunately the process takes some time.

Gator, I have been reading everything that I could for the last 12+ months about the Woods PSS and FPS models because I am interested in time savings during planting also. I took delivery of a FPS84 on Friday but unfortunately I doubt that I will be using it for several weeks so I can't give you any feedback on how it does. I couldn't afford a true no-till but I think from what I have read that the Woods will work pretty well for me.

shdw633

I would consider a plotmaster for your size tractor. I looked at a seeder that tractor supply has but felt that my 26 up tractor just wouldn't handle it well unless I was on absolutely perfect soil so I ended up getting a 400 series plotmaster.

fountain

Research this very closely. You will need an implement to match your tractor. We learned this the hard way. We bought a 6' firminator and used a 2wd 5400 kubota to pull it. It was a load and was a bit too much. It would pull and plant, but it was a strain on it and made turning pretty hard without sliding a ways. We ended up selling it and going back to a john deere grain drill. The firminator wasnt a 1 pass deal and we knew that. We still always harrowed as usual and then pulled the seeder to plant and pack. It seemed to leave a good bit of seed on top no matter how we set the tilt. It's a seder, therefore it doesn't plant in rows. In reality, we didnt save any time with it. It was a super nice piece of equipment, but the grain drill does equally well for us and fits our tractor better. Thing this out well and ask lots of questions when you inquire about equipment

A Kubota M8200, it’s around 80 horse power.
M8200 will get the job done with room to spare for your Woods seeder. Kubota M series tractors are a step up from a compact tractor in size and weight. I’ve got a M4800 - 50 HP and a Branson 4720 - 47 HP. We like em both and use em both. The 50 HP M4800 is a lot more tractor even though it’s rated at only 3 more HP.

And, I predict that you will love the Woods seeder and it will be a one pass deal for planting. I’ve used the Plotmaster since 2011. We spray in late Aug to early Sep. let everything completely die down. Load the fall mix in the seeder box n make one pass and done.

And, I predict that you will love the Woods seeder and it will be a one pass deal for planting. I’ve used the Plotmaster since 2011. We spray in late Aug to early Sep. let everything completely die down. Load the fall mix in the seeder box n make one pass and done.
I am hoping so, I'm pretty excited about trying it out and hoping it's a huge time saver!!