Working up north

coveyrise

What has the weather been like up there? Hope bird count is better this year than last. Nice looking dog.

28gage

What has the weather been like up there? Hope bird count is better this year than last. Nice looking dog.

50's in the morn and mid to upper 70's afternoon. My dogs are on the SD/ND border and they are just starting to cut crops so will get better after they come down, right now bird work spotty but looks like they have some birds. Thanks, more excited about her than I've been about a pup for a long time.

That's a beautiful picture. I've always wanted to hunt the Dakotas, but don't have dogs. Another upland (secret) destination that I stumbled across while working, is northern Utah. You'd be astonished at the Pheasant populations they have there. And anytime you have a cut corn field with a 9,000' mountain range backdrop, its a sight to behold!

Killinstuff

It's a good year in NE Montana. Been here 2 weeks and the bird numbers are way better than last year. Not as good as two years ago but the dogs are fining many birds the 3 or 4 hours hunt in the morning. Can't post pics because of the poor VZW connection in this part of the world but will ad a few next week when I head home. Lots of antelope (almost hit nice bucks twice driving out in mornings) and even saw a nice 5X5 elk this morning and I'm 10 miles from North Dakota. Weird. Lots of deer but no good bucks. Doves are thick and I've shoot a "few". Every puddle, ditch, pond or lake is covered up with teal, coots, some big ducks and geese. ND has an early goose season that opened 8/15 but all I have is a SXS 28ga and no steel.

With all the rain everything is still fairly green. Goes to show snow and cold don't hardly affect critters around here like drought does.

nrh0011

Couldn't agree more. I can't wait to get back to the Dakotas. I just bought me Llewellyn setter out of Michigan, gonna put her on a kansas pheasant come november.

Killinstuff

Here's Beanie who turns 10 months old next week on. pheasant. He backs Tober really well he's not on his level by a long shot. Maybe by next year

28gage

Things just keep getting better. Sugar's full brother Bud just got a win at the SW Mo. Championship derby. And just found out their dad, Jayhawk Thunder, just won the Kentucky Open SD Championship. There's some "dad" in these pups. One thing in common between the three dogs, every summer in the north!

Bud "Two Fingers Neat"
by , on Flickr

Here's Dad, CH Jayhawk Thunder
by , on Flickr

nrh0011

@28gage If you don't mind me asking, I would like to know who you sent your pup to in the dakotas. Feel free to pm me if you'd like. thanks

28gage

@28gage If you don't mind me asking, I would like to know who you sent your pup to in the dakotas. Feel free to pm me if you'd like. thanks

Virgil Moore Canyon TX. 806-570-2961 Virgil is most important honest and a hard worker. He'll give you dog a chance and get him to his potential.