worst deer hunting season ever

Chuck1989

Overall I would rank this season above average in terms of overall deer seen. However, not much I was interested in pulling the trigger on. Still, it’s good to see deer. I think next year can be very good. I’m seeing many younger bucks with great potential on camera, not something I always see this time of year. I think all the rain keeping people out of the woods this year has allowed some good ones to survive that typically wouldn’t. If the weather is better next year, I’d expect to see some big deer fall next season across the state.

Big7

The Oracle
First year I haven't hunted since I
was about 11-12 years old.
I'm 55 now and had some serious, life threatening surgeries.

I should be ready to go next year.
Might try to go Turkey hunting this
season if I feel like I can.

Live each day as if it were your last.
You never know. Have fun every day.

Jim Boyd

First year I haven't hunted since I
was about 11-12 years old.
I'm 55 now and had some serious, life threatening surgeries.

I should be ready to go next year.
Might try to go Turkey hunting this
season if I feel like I can.

Live each day as if it were your last.
You never know. Have fun every day.

Hope you are 100% soon.

Sorry for the interruption to your seasons.

Blackston

8 pt , a trophy spike ( came in very vocal right at dark ) first public deer and a doe for the freezer. And my 12 yo killed a nice 8 for her first deer. Never saw my Bign but I guess that's a good thing since I burnt my last buck tag on a spike All in All good season!!!!!

Wayne D Davis

Early archery I got a doe, a check-in wma gun hunt got a spike and a doe...then a 200 pound hog. Best season ever for buck sightings but just not close enough for my bow... Now I've been on usace land past 2 weeks and seen 3 does. Pleanty of buck sign they just aren't moving during the day. I did lose the blood trail on a very good buck this season. Still bothers me but I rate this season very good.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I hunted land in Heard, Carroll, Troup, and WMA. I saw a ton of deer on them all. Killed two nice 8 points...one private and other WMA. Filled the freezer with a number of does also. I saw deer throughout the season, but nothing like the last 3 weeks. Green fields were the ticket late season. I never crossed paths with 3 bucks I was hoping I’d see in person and I’m hoping they made it through, although they have not shown on camera since early November. I have a bunch of younger bucks that should be very nice next year.

My wife also killed her largest buck ever. Been a very blessed year.

Professor

I only got out twice this year. Did not kill one but did see 3 does and a spike/possible fork horn. But, it was not the worst season of my life. I get the point that maybe the DNR needs to reassess some of their management plan. But, I know that many of you are my age and older and should remember the hard work deer hunting was in the early and mid 70s in Georgia. I hunted hard, every moment I could starting in 1973. I went with my dad that year and we saw one deer and he killed it. I started hunting on my own the next season but did not see a deer until 77, and did not kill my first till 1980. After that everything opened up and seeing and killing deer became a yearly expectation. But, those first seasons were really hard.

rigderunner

I've hunted hard all season since the bow opener and haven't seen but 1 doe I cleaned the rifle and put it in the safe better luck next year

Bubba_1122

Season pretty much stunk.

Have been infiltrated with hogs. Kilt zero deer and 6 hogs this season (I hate a hog).

Had one of my target deer in front of me last week. Had already shed one side. Hopefully he'll be bigger and have both sides next year.

Josh B

We are in Meriwether and remained a bait free property this year and I really wondered how it would affect us, to be honest it didn’t at all. We killed a few good bucks as always and some does, I think everyone that hunted much saw at least 1 shooter buck and lots of does and small bucks. I think all of the rainy weekends cut down on the amount of hunting since the rut but didn’t seem to bother the deer, I’ve only hunted 3 times since Thanksgiving and averaged seeing 10-15 does and fawns and 3-4 bucks per hunt.
How does the guy with probably the best land on here not hunting!? We had a great year on my Meriwether property and I saw a lot in Walton too.

Timberman

Never pulled the trigger but had a great year. My son shot two nice bucks we expanded our horizons into mountain public land got nice deer on camera for next year. Next up turkey season.

FWIW I found no shortage of deer to hunt. YMMV

tree cutter 08

Had a great season, just had to hunt little harder than normal. Seen 44 or 45 deer, 27 bear and 2 hogs. Was in the woods around 90 days. Got to see some new country, see some beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Got some good exercise and logged several miles with the kids. Ended up with two bucks, a bear and two hogs. It was way tougher than normal but that's just hunting.