Xerxes Llewellins Wild Bird Hunting

Coach K

GON'ers -

Ruffed grouse camp is winding down in Minnesota and I am really looking forward to heading back down for quail hunting in the pleasant winter weather of good ol' Joja!!

For many years I have provided dog power for many of the GA Quota Quail hunts so that hunters not used to Di-Lane could still have an enjoyable hunt. This year, I have just a few Di-Lane dates where clients and friends did not get drawn. So, if you would like to see some experienced Llewellin Setters do what they have been bred to do, just private message me.

I do not charge any fee, but just love to provide my dogs the opportunity to participate in the best wild bird hunting in GA. Here are dates that I have open if you need help at Di-Lane. 12/5, 12/8 & 12/12.

Also, the dogs are already in mid season form, as we have been hunting wild birds from Nebraska to Minnesota since Sept 1st. Following is a video clip of one of our exciting, close up ruffed grouse experiences. Please excuse the music and the puff of feathers! The bird was in great shape and made an excellent meal of my deep fried, batter dipped, grouse fingers!!

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/vi...ideos/2146734752310042/&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="314" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited:

fredw

Retired Moderator
If you have the opportunity you should take Coach K up on his offer. Not only does he run great setters but he is a great guy to spend a day with.

The birds in my avatar were two that Coach K and I doubled up on.

Coach K

***QUOTA HUNT UPDATE****

I would love to provide extra dog power still. Unfortunately, I am only available now for the Dec 5th and Dec 8th hunts.

***Possibly just the 12/5 hunt now***
(Waiting to hear back from Killswitch) ;-)

I can tell you that no other groups have found more coveys of quail than XL dogs (This is according to the post hunt survey forms) For me, it's all about getting my dogs into wild birds. My crew has been hunting since Sept (Sharptails/Chickens out west & Ruffed Grouse + WC in MN) The dogs will be transitioning to quail as soon as this darn rain stops!!! ;-)

Private message me if you're interested. And although, we do love when folks "no show" for their Di-Lane hunts as it makes it a lot less crowded, it is a shame that someone who might have really wanted to hunt misses the opportunity!!! So, don't pass up the chance - I have enough dogs that even if you have none, we could still hunt all day!! Di-Lane is a special quail hunting venue!

I'll be going back through old photos and posting some highlights.

Private message me as I am home from grouse camp now and have better access to the internet>>

Best regards,

Hatch

Last edited:

Coach K

If you have the opportunity you should take Coach K up on his offer. Not only does he run great setters but he is a great guy to spend a day with.

The birds in my avatar were two that Coach K and I doubled up on.

Thanks for the testimonial Fred W!!! You know you're my hunting role model!! ;-) (You and Monte Seehorn!!) That's pretty good company, eh? ;)

Highlight video when my oldest dog Moll' went into a Di-Lane drain/swamp to find some woodcock. I believe this was a double on timberdoodles.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https://www.facebook.com/xerxes.llewellins/videos/1336529453066222/&show_text=0&width=560" width="560" height="314" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allowFullScreen="true"></iframe>

Last edited:

Coach K

This was a couple years ago 2016. Last year I was in KS & TX from Nov-Dec, so did not get to hunt Di-Lane except for once or twice.

This hunt was one where my best dog "T" had 10 finds, mixed between coveys and singles. Photo #1 is me walking in over "T's" first covey find. Photo #2 is my neighbor with his XL dog "Bandit". #3 - A radio collared and banded quail (wild), #4 "T" on point again and me shaking the camera like an amateur photographer. (probably my cell phone - that's why!), #5 Rhu' (who just had a litter 3 wks ago) on point.

Attachments

• ''T'' One of Ten Points.jpg
    ''T'' One of Ten Points.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Holloway & Bandit 2016.jpg
    Holloway & Bandit 2016.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Radio collared & banded.jpg
    Radio collared & banded.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 19
  • ''T'' in 2016 (Camera wobble - NO flagging).jpg
    ''T'' in 2016 (Camera wobble - NO flagging).jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Rhu' 2016.jpg
    Rhu' 2016.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Coach K

This was a father and son's hunt. They just had one dog that had never hunted wild birds before. Xerxes Llewellins added a lot of extra dog power and Danny's son (Brian, I think was his name) shot his 1st wild quail that hunt. I was so proud to be part of such a special father/son tradition!!!

Danny Leigh Hunt 2016

Father and son with "dinner"!
Brian with his 1st wild quail harvest
Danny walking in on "T's" covey find #2
This might have been a wc point or a single ("T")
Covey find #1 for "T" - I think this was a wake up call as to the speed of the
Leigh's first wild covey flush!!! I don't think a shot was even fired! ;-0
Radio Collared Quail - (Wild bird that was trapped, banded, and radio collared,
during the spring)
A banded quail - (This wild bird was also trapped in the spring, but only a few
quail out of a covey will be radio collared)
Brian Leigh showing off his dance moves in the "GA Tangle Two Step"

Attachments

• Dan & Brian Leigh Hunt 2016.jpg
    Dan & Brian Leigh Hunt 2016.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Brian Leigh's 1st wild quail 2016.jpg
    Brian Leigh's 1st wild quail 2016.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Leigh Hunt 2016 - Another ''T'' Covey Find.jpg
    Leigh Hunt 2016 - Another ''T'' Covey Find.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 18
  • Leigh Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Again.jpg
    Leigh Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Again.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 18
  • Leigh Hunt 2016 - Transmitter Quail.jpg
    Leigh Hunt 2016 - Transmitter Quail.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Leigh's banded rooster.jpg
    Leigh's banded rooster.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Brian Leigh - The GA Tangle Two Step.jpg
    Brian Leigh - The GA Tangle Two Step.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 18

Coach K

This Gentleman, Terry Huggins, comes from SC every year as either a guest of me or on his own quota hunt. Terry has allowed me to train his dog that he got from me ever since it was a pup. Tess', a sister to my ''T'' dog, does two wild bird camps every year! She is one of the best grouse dogs I have hunted with. She certainly is no slouch on quail either and this hunt she battled it out with her brother for the most covey finds. She pointed 3 coveys this hunt. I wish I had gotten more photos of her.

Tess with her 1st find
Bandit pointing & Rhu' backing
"T" with a covey
"T" and Terry Huggins have a covey between them. (Terry shot a double on the covey
rise.
"T"
Our party - Mike Holloway and Terry Huggins (center & right)

Attachments

• Hugging Hunt 2016 - Tess on Point ''T'' backing.jpg
    Hugging Hunt 2016 - Tess on Point ''T'' backing.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 22
  • Huggins Hunt - Bandit & Rhu' Backing 2016.jpg
    Huggins Hunt - Bandit & Rhu' Backing 2016.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 22
  • Huggins Hunt 2016 - Holloway ''T'' Pointing.jpg
    Huggins Hunt 2016 - Holloway ''T'' Pointing.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Huggins Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Trapped Covey.jpg
    Huggins Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Trapped Covey.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Huggins Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Locked In.jpg
    Huggins Hunt 2016 - ''T'' Locked In.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Huggins Hunt 2016 Me, Mike & Terry.jpg
    Huggins Hunt 2016 Me, Mike & Terry.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 24

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
That some very special hunts I’m sure they’re still talking about.
Thanks for the pictures and the fine words describing the dogs and hunts.
Jeff

Coach K

2018 Hunt Highlights - Sandborn Hunt

#1 XL's Rhu' Pointing #3 Covey, 1 1/2 into hunt
#2 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Quail for 1st time GA Quail Hunting Marine
(Based out of Camp Lejeune)
#3 Reward Banded Quail (1 of 4 so far for 2018 Di-Lane hunts)
#4 A proud Marine with an XL - Terry Huggins' Tess'
#5 Two quail framed by my Browning "Upland Special" (Little Brown)
#6 A Satisfied Party Post Hunt @ 10:30 am ;) (XL Dogs Rhu' & Tess)

Attachments

• Rhu' Point #3 Covey.jpg
    Rhu' Point #3 Covey.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 5
  • John Sandborn - Tess Rhu & Moll'.jpg
    John Sandborn - Tess Rhu & Moll'.jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Reward Banded Bird.jpg
    Reward Banded Bird.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 6
  • John Sandborn & Terry Huggins' Tess.jpg
    John Sandborn & Terry Huggins' Tess.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Huggins' & Hatchet Quail.jpg
    Huggins' & Hatchet Quail.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Sandborn Party (Hatchet Kunselman Terry Huggins John Sandborn).jpg
    Sandborn Party (Hatchet Kunselman Terry Huggins John Sandborn).jpg
    312 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
That is a beautiful Lewellin in the video. Brings back memories of long ago Quail hunts with my Dad He loved Llwellins and raised them for years. The last Dog I had was a Llwellin, and prorably was the best dog I ever owned.

Coach K

That is a beautiful Lewellin in the video. Brings back memories of long ago Quail hunts with my Dad He loved Llwellins and raised them for years. The last Dog I had was a Llwellin, and prorably was the best dog I ever owned.

Thank you KY Dawg. If you ever want to experience GA quail hunting, (Di-lane) just private message me with your contact information and I will instruct you on how to get it done. Not every year do I stay home in GA for these hunts, (usually am out west in KS, OK, or TX doing wild bird hunting camps). This year we just happened to have a litter of pups, though, and the "boss" said NO!

This year bird #'s are supposed to be down at Di-Lane, due to a very wet spring and summer. So, it is going to be a challenge for the dogs. My best are aging (11 and 9) and I'm still trying to breed a pup that can fill the dog boots of my "T" dog. That's why I am keeping one of the pups from my latest litter in hopes of doing just that. My female (Rhu' - 4 yrs) is solid and two other real young ones are showing potential. But, I demand quick learners that are bird finding machines in their first season. I've always been lucky with this line in having at least one at all times for the past 3 decades.

I have not hunted with or trained any other dogs (I've trained GSP's, Elhew Pters, Ryman types and Grouse line English setters) that would spur me on to change from what I am breeding. We do the di-lane hunts and our parties (XL dogs) are consistently at the top of coveys found according to the post hunt surveys. And, I am always willing to put my dogs up, wild bird hunting, with anyone that thinks they have better. They hunt hard, (if not the fastest), they find birds and they do it with beautiful style.

So, if anyone would like to see Xerxes Lewellins hunt, (or you want to do an "informal trial"), private message me and I'll get back with you as soon as I see your note!

"T" (Xerxes Brenin Y Breoedd) - In his prime

Attachments

• ''T'' Charlane.jpg
    ''T'' Charlane.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Sharp looking dog Coach.
Jeff

Coach K

More photos to follow of this year's hunting