XP Service Pack 2

Skipper

Banned
It's getting close to the end of the year, and I need to spend some office money or else give it to the gooberment in April, so I decided to buy myself a new desktop and laptop.

Well, I'm getting more and more aggrivated with SP2. It seems noting wants to work right and that confarnded firewall in it is driving me nuts. I use a wireless network in the office. I know it's not 100% safe, but really, there's not much I'm worried about being stolen that way. At any rate, the dip darn firewall on the laptop won't let me connect to the network printer that is hardwired to the router. :banginghe It says printing is a security violation.

The desktop is another aggrivating sole. Hewlett Packard has put enough spyware, advertising bots, pop up programs and more crap that a computer could catch wide open on the internet over the next 5 years. In addition, XP says the D-link wireless card I put in it hasn't passed the Microsoft scam artist test yet and shouldn't be trusted. It's already locked up once because of the w-lan card. ::huh: The HP machine doesn't like the fact that I don't want AOL, MSN or whatever internet service it's pushing and doesn't want me to connect to the internet via the LAN card.
:banginghe On the right side of the screen, I have this doohickey thing that says "Organize" which to me looks like an excuse to put about 25 things in the start menu that is no doubt the cause for the computer taking 5 minutes to boot.

I know what the solution is, I just don't see why I have to buy a new computer with Windows XP included, then go out and buy a clean Windows XP disk with no garbage attatched to it, buy a spare mouse because they won't sell the $89.99 version unless you buy a piece of hardware, all so I can fix my brand new gosheens.

Would someone please come up with a version of Linux that will readily accept such things as printers, cameras, and other necessary devices so we can quit putting up with the garbage put out by Microsoft.

Skipper

deermeat270

Banned
Linux Red Hat 9.0 does all that stuff. If your interested you can download it for free. They also have forums for people that have trouble.

Give it a try you will never go back. The only thing I use windows for is gaming. And you can even do that with linux now.

Deer

Skipper

Banned
I can't make my printer run with Red Hat 9, I've tried. I've got a machine running it now.

The other issue with Linux now is NONE of the proprietary company software will run on it. Stuff like my quote and appraisal software.

I really like my RedHat machine and use it a lot, but it's sort of impractical at the office because of everyone else not having the same and the company refusing to support it. In actuality, it's likely they have no idea what to do with it in the first place. The corporate IT guys who put this junk software together are really pathetic. There are a few up there who have some limited Unix knowledge and the ones racing to convert the Unix stuff to Windows are messing up things left and right. The software they have that runs the big database has been unix over the years, but from what I understand it was leased and the lease is running out. They are converting to all win servers and mostly MS applications.

I'm an independent contractor, but have to lease some of this system from the company so I can access their database. It's really aggrivating.

Skipper

Skipper

Banned
Oh, and this is good, but shows the stupidity of some of these people.

They have this program on my lease machines that makes the software installs for the quote programs. It will only write the software install programs on an A: drive or 3.5" floppy. Guess what? My new machines don't have 3.5" floppys, so I have to go out and buy a otherwise useless 3.5" floppy USB drive so I can install these things.

This program uses about 15 disks to do a complete install or upgrade. It makes them 1 at a time. :banginghe

Skipper