Y'all folks feeding deer during the season

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
even during turkey season? How do y'all manage to turkey hunt with all that feed out?

Stay 200 yards away and out of sight of any feeder

davidhelmly

Stay 200 yards away and out of sight of any feeder
200 yards and out of sight has nothing to do with turkeys. Our GW described it as, you are illegal “if you are within sight or sound of bait and if the bird is headed to or from bait”.
It’s extremely grey and up to each individual warden.

Mark K

Banned
Someone post a pic!! That would have to be an awesome picture.
I did have a group of about 15-20 hens/poults come through but never went anywhere near the feeder or camera.

davidhelmly

I did have a group of about 15-20 hens/poults come through but never went anywhere near the feeder or camera.
I doubt I saved any but I’ll look back thru some pics

Last edited:

j_seph

not mine but
56124af41ee29450ea731c42416e0e9e.jpg

Product_TurkeyFeeder_02.jpg

Mark K

Banned
Thanks! That is crazy, lol.
Just observing the first pic, I’m guessing mountain area with very little to no agricultural areas. I could see where turkeys might flock to corn/feed. Maybe my turkeys will start eating protein and grow some massive spurs, lol!

sea trout

Wow I never thought that

sea trout

I just re read regs and it say not to hunt game species including birds on, over, near and around bait. I guess y'all are right it is a grey area. I think 1000 yards is far! Even cow farms next door that are feeding aint always 1000 yards away. Wow, we will be stopping supplemental feeding during turkey season. We don't want trouble or tickets!

Gbr5pb

I hadn’t seen a GW since 1995 they sorta rare in Taylor! Of course I don’t look for them!

j_seph

I have pics
Thanks! That is crazy, lol.
Just observing the first pic, I’m guessing mountain area with very little to no agricultural areas. I could see where turkeys might flock to corn/feed. Maybe my turkeys will start eating protein and grow some massive spurs, lol!
of upwards to 20 birds at a time where I actually pour corn out, dadgum turkeys at times have stayed and ate the majority of my corn like that

Mark K

Banned
Are you around in agricultural areas? If not I guess that’s the difference in our turkeys vs northern turkeys. I’ve seen them hit the corn poured on the ground, but it’s like it’s a brief stop on their way elsewhere. Down here if you based your hunt on corn, you’re liable to be disappointed or plan on sitting all day for multiple days at a time. It’s really hit or miss. We have too much natural browse and fields with leftover crops to be concentrating on one exact food source.

j_seph

Are you around in agricultural areas? If not I guess that’s the difference in our turkeys vs northern turkeys. I’ve seen them hit the corn poured on the ground, but it’s like it’s a brief stop on their way elsewhere. Down here if you based your hunt on corn, you’re liable to be disappointed or plan on sitting all day for multiple days at a time. It’s really hit or miss. We have too much natural browse and fields with leftover crops to be concentrating on one exact food source.
No ag to speak of, are adjacent to 100 acre fields that have went farrow

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Maybe one of our forum wardens will clear this up , I’ve spoken with one personally and was told just don’t get caught hunting over the feeders on our lease in south ga , and we would be ok , heck our president would probably stop the turkey hunting before he’d be able to stop the feeders, we’ve had no problem since baiting was legalized in southern zone

davidhelmly

I hadn’t seen a GW since 1995 they sorta rare in Taylor! Of course I don’t look for them!
The only reason I saw him was because I called him and had him come out to see what we were doing and ask about the feeders, super nice guy and very helpful.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
I just re read regs and it say not to hunt game species including birds on, over, near and around bait. I guess y'all are right it is a grey area. I think 1000 yards is far! Even cow farms next door that are feeding aint always 1000 yards away. Wow, we will be stopping supplemental feeding during turkey season. We don't want trouble or tickets!
I had some friends learn that the $600.00 hard way a few years back.

j_seph

Maybe one of our forum wardens will clear this up , I’ve spoken with one personally and was told just don’t get caught hunting over the feeders on our lease in south ga , and we would be ok , heck our president would probably stop the turkey hunting before he’d be able to stop the feeders, we’ve had no problem since baiting was legalized in southern zone
@C.Killmaster