Ya'll Ready?

jbogg

I hunt swamps down here mostly but pack for all day hunts. When I head to the mountains this year I doubt Ill pack much different. I carry a fairly large pack with plastic bags for boning out my critter. I dont drag anything no matter how close to the road I am. I carry a pillow case in case I have more than my pack can hold in meat...I killed three pigs at one time last year and two years before I killed a doe and 2 pigs in one morning. I was lucky my Buddy Chris Spikes was hunting with me on that hunt and made it easier.Both hunts were over a mile from the road. You can put what your pack wont hold in the pillow case and tie it to the top of the pack.
I carry some rope,2 knives a file for sharpening broadheads. I carry 3 quality flash lights as well as a head lamp. Camera. Gps, Water,snack and a small bottle with an assortment of medicine. Tylenol,Benadryl and asprin. Down here you wont leave the truck without a thermacel. I also carry a very small bottle of bug juice. I never leave the truck without a compass around my neck. Dont forget some stricking paper and a lighter!
I hunted last year a lot with a 8 lb loc-on and 10 bolts with a woodpecker drill. Im gonna use 4 lone wolf sticks this year . Of course a safety belt as well.
I have hunted with tradbows for near 40 years and dont expect to change. I put a small rubber tip on the bottom limb of my longbow for protection and it doubles as a walking stick,depth finder on small creeks and good for flipping snakes off the trail. Make no mistake it is a killer.
AS far as camo...whatever is on sale works and a good woodsy color plaid works great in cooler weather. I usually use the lite weight Lacrosse alpha rubber boots or if im planing on covering a lot of ground in warm weather snake boots.
Through the years I have found a little more weight in the pack can make for a much more enjoyable hunt. Dont skimp on stuff you may need but dont over weigh yourself with gadgets and crap you dont need.
One thing I have learned is that if you find yourself in a hurry...you have planned wrong. Being in a hurry will cause you to get hurt or make mistakes . Be confident in your navigation skills and your abillity to get around in the dark. I once dropped the only flashlight I had on me from the stand and busted it. I was a mile in the swamp in the dark with no light. Loonnggg trip back out. I used my lighter and compass for direction and "feel" for the footwork..it was painful..lol

Thats great advise Robert. I have learned a few hard lessons in my short time in the mountains, and multiple flashlights/batteries and a good compass is a must. I had a misty cloud roll in one night just as I climbed down my tree on one of the rare occasions I actually carried in a treestand. In the fog I could only see 5 - 6' in any direction with my headlamp. I had to go up and down several little finger ridges to get back to the trail on the main ridge, and in the middle of the mountain laurel it got a little interesting even with my gps and compass. That fog will mess with your head. Trust the compass.

FMBear

Thats great advise Robert. I have learned a few hard lessons in my short time in the mountains, and multiple flashlights/batteries and a good compass is a must. I had a misty cloud roll in one night just as I climbed down my tree on one of the rare occasions I actually carried in a treestand. In the fog I could only see 5 - 6' in any direction with my headlamp. I had to go up and down several little finger ridges to get back to the trail on the main ridge, and in the middle of the mountain laurel it got a little interesting even with my gps and compass. That fog will mess with your head. Trust the compass.

My sentiment exactly. GPS is ok for marking spots, but a compass is fail safe. Especially when the fog comes in the mountains.

strothershwacker

I carry 2 compasses. It may sound extreme but I do it because several times I've thot my compass was lying to me, so I dig out anothern to check it with when I get to arguing with it. I've been skeptical at times but so far it's never led me astray. Mountains do offer variety in landmarks. The worst I've ever been lost is in a cypress swamp in South GA. Every tree was the exact same color, shape and size. The overcast sky made the 6" deep waterd cypress grove look like an impenetrable wall. Walked/waded For a few miles not sure of my direction. Found pine trees in the distance which equalled dry ground. Pine trees led to a sandy road. Which led a several mile walk back to camp. Which was bout 4 miles from where I'd left my truck. So walkn' into camp without your truck. Coming from the opposite direction from where you left your truck puts a compass at the top of the grocery list! Lesson learnt. I love south ga hog huntin but them swamps is ruff on a hillbilly. Some folks is skeerd of bears. But they got gators down there. Bigguns! It's like a bear that'll drown you and eat you at the same time! So if you ever go down to the wooly swamp..... well you better not go at night....

WoodlandScout82

I carry 2 compasses. It may sound extreme but I do it because several times I've thot my compass was lying to me, so I dig out anothern to check it with when I get to arguing with it. I've been skeptical at times but so far it's never led me astray. Mountains do offer variety in landmarks. The worst I've ever been lost is in a cypress swamp in South GA. Every tree was the exact same color, shape and size. The overcast sky made the 6" deep waterd cypress grove look like an impenetrable wall. Walked/waded For a few miles not sure of my direction. Found pine trees in the distance which equalled dry ground. Pine trees led to a sandy road. Which led a several mile walk back to camp. Which was bout 4 miles from where I'd left my truck. So walkn' into camp without your truck. Coming from the opposite direction from where you left your truck puts a compass at the top of the grocery list! Lesson learnt. I love south ga hog huntin but them swamps is ruff on a hillbilly. Some folks is skeerd of bears. But they got gators down there. Bigguns! It's like a bear that'll drown you and eat you at the same time! So if you ever go down to the wooly swamp..... well you better not go at night....
A compass and a good map helped me get my bear out of the mountains by myself. I ended up dragging it down a creek and came out right at my truck in just 3 hours. Absolute essentials!
PSX_20190504_121501.jpg

jbogg

I like the CDB reference Schwacker. Reminds me of a time when my knees and back didn’t complain so much.

Buckman18

Here it is, my new crossbow and my hunting bag. This won't be bad at all to haul up the mountainside. That's food, water, first aid, tools, survival gear , my seat, and my bad weather gear all in my sling pack. Compact and lightweight!
View attachment 969132View attachment 969133
How’s the new crossbow shoot? I’ve got the exact same one to try this year but have yet to take it out of the box. I will soon though!

strothershwacker

I bought me one em Osprey packs that a lot of the backpackers use. I've carried it loaded for bout 8miles. Very impressed. Fits like a glove, very comfortable. Hope it holds up to packin bear out. They offer what they call a no **** guarantee. Supposedly they'll fix em no matter what. Osprey isn't marketed toward hunters really but they do offer one in a good green color. After reading this thread I think I will be dropping some benydrill in it. I'm also gonna be toting a stickbow this year. I've been a compound hunter for 26 years and always wanted to try traditional archery but was intimidated by it. My shootings getn better each week. So I'm going for it this year. And the ol' bow is extremely light which is a bonus. Each trip to the woods is a blessing and it really makes me appreciate my health.

Joe Brandon

I bought me one em Osprey packs that a lot of the backpackers use. I've carried it loaded for bout 8miles. Very impressed. Fits like a glove, very comfortable. Hope it holds up to packin bear out. They offer what they call a no **** guarantee. Supposedly they'll fix em no matter what. Osprey isn't marketed toward hunters really but they do offer one in a good green color. After reading this thread I think I will be dropping some benydrill in it. I'm also gonna be toting a stickbow this year. I've been a compound hunter for 26 years and always wanted to try traditional archery but was intimidated by it. My shootings getn better each week. So I'm going for it this year. And the ol' bow is extremely light which is a bonus. Each trip to the woods is a blessing and it really makes me appreciate my health.
You know Steve Rinella says get to know hikers and their equipment. There equipment is top notch and while getting to know them you may be able to pin point any game they have seen. He does however caution against mentioning that you plan to hunt the game, he says not to lye but don't advertise, not all hikers are hunters and visa versa!

strothershwacker

You know Steve Rinella says get to know hikers and their equipment. There equipment is top notch and while getting to know them you may be able to pin point any game they have seen. He does however caution against mentioning that you plan to hunt the game, he says not to lye but don't advertise, not all hikers are hunters and visa versa!
I work with a guy who is big into wildlife photography and spends an enormous amount of time in the hills year round. I have gotten tons of good info from him on gear, trail tricks and critter habitat. He says he'd rather shoot em with a camera. He has hunted in the past and doesn't have anything against ethical hunting. Hikers, climbers, horsebackers, even cavers have been a valuable source of info for me at times. Most folks are receptive to the idea of hunting when they get to know what I'm about. Most hunters are not macho blood thirsty kill em all trophy hunters just like most non-hunting outdoor recreationist are not all liberal treehugging gun hating hippies. Most folks in the woods are on the same page. Had a guy that looked like Jerry Garcia congratulate me with much enthusiasm over a tom I was toting out on a trail one time. He was very impressed by the bird and the story I told him of how the hunt had unfolded. He was a strait up bush hippie! I think a friendly demeanor goes a long ways.

Bowhunter77

I guess we all got a good sale on crossbow or we all are seeing how useful they can be from the ground. I like how the bear guys offer up good tips and gear advice. I’ll be down again this year, 4 years chasing them now.

Joe Brandon

I guess we all got a good sale on crossbow or we all are seeing how useful they can be from the ground. I like how the bear guys offer up good tips and gear advice. I’ll be down again this year, 4 years chasing them now.
This might just be your year than! Finally got a couple on year five. Not saying it takes five, plenty of guys on here got them their first year after them last year.

FMBear

It was a good morning out. I got out early hoping to walk the creek bottoms and see some bears in the first hour; however, with Memorial Day, the 4X4 and trout fishing traffic was already out in force. I went ahead and caught my limit of trout then put in 3 miles of hiking and checking. I found trees marked that were not marked 2 weeks ago, so no doubt the mating season is about here. Also found some trees climbed last year. I stayed between 1600-1900 feet and only found one white oak showing signs of production. Also managed to jump a solo, 2 year old bear just above a creek along an active trail.

Attachments

• Acorn.jpeg
    Acorn.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Bear climb.jpeg
    Bear climb.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Tree 3.jpeg
    Tree 3.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Tree 4.jpeg
    Tree 4.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 8

Joe Brandon

I felt so bad last week. I saw a little bear who was just jacked up. Was limping really bad and was thin and unkempt. Had to remind myself that its survival of the fittest. Nature can be cruel!

FMBear

I felt so bad last week. I saw a little bear who was just jacked up. Was limping really bad and was thin and unkempt. Had to remind myself that its survival of the fittest. Nature can be cruel!
No doubt nature can test some emotions when you see something like that...