Ya'll Ready?

Joe Brandon

Anyone else itching yet? I am ready for Fall and ready for bear season. We are expecting our first daughter July 8th so my hunting will be limited to about 4 days this coming season but I couldn't be more happy about those 4 days. I will make them count with or without a harvest. What are you guys doing to get preped? The only new hunting gear I am getting this year is a pair of snake boots. My friend Jboggs has convinced my they are needed and after Treecutter got a pair I figured he's such a minimalist that if he feels the need, I definitely need a pair!Ya'll have a great day!

Buckman18

I’m always ready! I hope you kill a 550 pound monster this year! If you do, I hear Jbogg and Killer Kyle make awesome dragging partners! :cool:

I have a pair of Rocky snake boots that I’ve been wearing the past couple of seasons. They are comfortable! Reviews say they don’t last long, but as of this message they are still going strong. I used them turkey hunting this morning.

Joe Brandon

I’m always ready! I hope you kill a 550 pound monster this year! If you do, I hear Jbogg and Killer Kyle make awesome dragging partners! :cool:

I have a pair of Rocky snake boots that I’ve been wearing the past couple of seasons. They are comfortable! Reviews say they don’t last long, but as of this message they are still going strong. I used them turkey hunting this morning.
Yes sir!!!!! See I've been hearing these boys talk about these knee high Irish Setters. Even seen ole Treecutter wearing them with a pair of shorts! I'm gonna snag a pair as soon as I can catch bow 200. These days I'm on a darn allowance!

Buckman18

Yes sir!!!!! See I've been hearing these boys talk about these knee high Irish Setters. Even seen ole Treecutter wearing them with a pair of shorts! I'm gonna snag a pair as soon as I can catch bow 200. These days I'm on a darn allowance!

I was gonna get the Irish Setters but caught the Rocky’s on sale online for about $80. Thought I’d try them and so far so good.

I’ve only seen two bears so far during turkey season. Both were decent sized. Hopefully the acorns will be spotty so they will be more concentrated come September.

strothershwacker

I jumped 1 out of a thicket Friday. Wind was hard in my face and I could smell em. When it busted up outta there he was bout 15' from me! I was slippin thru there because i was trying to bushwack a tom in a foodplot and it was the only cover I had. The struttin gobbling action is tapering off so my mind begins to yearn for fall. Ate bear for lunch today. Hope the good Lord gives us all another fall to chase these awsome critters in the hills! As for the snake boots, they seem hot and uncomfortable to me. Guess I'll just stick to my Crispis. Come on September!

Mark K

Banned
Don’t waste your time with Irish Setters...won’t last a season before they start leaking. Any boot with hold up walking through the occasional creek or mud puddle. Where they fail is walking through dew covered grass for any length of time.

DeucesWild

I've been up a couple of times in the last few weeks and rode a WMA and a couple of forest service roads looking for sign. Beautiful country and have seen more deer sign than I expected on the forest service roads down low. Don't recall seeing a single deer track on the WMA that I rode and I went from the south entrance all the way to where the gates were closed on the northside and back.

Last edited:

Christian hughey

Don’t waste your time with Irish Setters...won’t last a season before they start leaking. Any boot with hold up walking through the occasional creek or mud puddle. Where they fail is walking through dew covered grass for any length of time.
Irish setters are terrible, I agree bought a pair at close to 200$. Never had a pair of boots choke my ankles out like that. Unable to wear them long enough to break em in. Caught a pair of under armour scent control snake boots on sale for 100$, haven't had them long enough to give an honest review but they are light weight, scent control and seem pretty durable. See how they do this season. Bout to put a couple cameras out, will be time for food plots before you know it.

FMBear

I'm definitely fired up already! I'm putting my cameras out before the end of turkey season so they're in place and scent free before the big boys start roaming and marking their posting trees.
I did the Warrior Dash back in April so I'm going to carry on the shape I got in for it and maintain a little better before the season this year.
As for boots, my brother bought me a pair of Danner Pronghorns 2 years ago. They took a bit to get broken in, but now they are by far the best boots I've worn in the hunting woods. Snake proof and water proof. I stood in the creek skinning my bear last year for over an hour and my feet stayed dried.

twincedargap

Oh yeah, been exploring new grounds. While keeping an eye out for Toms and hogs. Fitness is a constant work that goes hand n hand with mountain hunting. Lately been hiking and biking while armed (N & MidGA), but enjoying getting outside toting the smoke pole.
bike 2 hunt.jpg

Last edited:

WoodlandScout82

I just bought a new skinning knife, and I'm about to get my compound restrung or Buy a recurve(I think a recurve is better for still-hunting). I finished my first bear pelt from last December and hung it on the wall and wouldn't mind finding her a Boar to share the wall with! I refinished my rifle stock to prepare for any weather up in them hills and hollers and have done some very successful initial scouting off WMA land while out trout fishing. I'm all-in up in the mountains this season!!

WoodlandScout82

I am hoping to be up off of the ground this fall. I am waiting on my first tree saddle and look forward to getting it dialed in between now and the opener.
Let us know how you like that saddle . I have been eyeing them for a few weeks. I love my hammock seat, but considering the close encounters I had last season and that I was face to face with my bear at 15 feet, I wouldn't mind having a super compact and ultra-light treestand option.

Last edited:

FMBear

In between the rains, I scouted some spots up in Lumpkin and Rabun counties this morning. Swollen creeks made it challenging crossing in both my truck and on foot, but got my cameras out to survey the big, roaming males coming up shortly.

Today is the first day I found some trees with fresh markings.

Attachments

• Tree 1.jpeg
    Tree 1.jpeg
    399.7 KB · Views: 22

Killer Kyle

I came out of the womb ready! I can't wait for those cool October days once again! Buckman, if I get a call to help drag a bear at 2:00 in the a.m., you can rest assured knowing that I will be knocking on your door at 2:30 a.m. to pick you up since you volun-told me for these duties!!! ?
As for the snake boots... that's a negative for me. I will not be found climbing hills in those things. I hate them, and they hate my feet. I'll just take my chances, and I'll leave that to y'all!
As for the tree stand discussion...I believe I am changing my mind about them (somewhat!). I absolutely will not carry one any considerable distance. I have owned a couple stands in my life but have almost exclusively been a ground hunter. I've killed a few bucks with a bow and from the ground at 25 yards or less in the past. I generally just HATE hunting from a stand and being confined to one.
I do have some "easy" spots in the mtns that I like to hunt for quick after work hunts. In those places, I think I may be taking in a stand before some of the hunts in case I want to hunt those easy access spots. I've come to realize that hunting exclusively from the ground has cost me a LOT of game over the last many years. I had a bear at 20 yards and a rifle in my hand one hunt last November. I couldn't pull off an ethical shot even at 20 yards with a rifle because of the dense tree saplings and young laurel bushes between us. Had I been in a stand even merely 6' off the ground, I could have smoked that bear. And I was probably hardly over 100 yards from the road. Getting it out would have been easy as pie. Had a similar occurance with a buck on Chattahoochee WMA last December.

I now have 3 climbers, including one MINT CONDITION original Tree Lounge stand that I recently acquired for free. I will be emplacing some of these in my easy spots to hunt out of this fall.
Not long ago, a co-worker of mine was teasing me. He said "you are the only guy I know that says things like "had a bear at 10 yards and a rifle in my hand......couldn't get a shot". All I can do is laugh about it because it is sad, but true. I like to hunt small openings in the midst of the thick....the real thick. I constantly get on the game but can hardly ever seal the deal just because of no shot opportunities. Just a few feet up a tree would make all the difference MUCH of the time.
I think I will employ these stands this fall and just see if my success rate improves. It is so low at the current, all it can do is improve!! Ha! ?

jbogg

I came out of the womb ready! I can't wait for those cool October days once again! Buckman, if I get a call to help drag a bear at 2:00 in the a.m., you can rest assured knowing that I will be knocking on your door at 2:30 a.m. to pick you up since you volun-told me for these duties!!! ?
As for the snake boots... that's a negative for me. I will not be found climbing hills in those things. I hate them, and they hate my feet. I'll just take my chances, and I'll leave that to y'all!
As for the tree stand discussion...I believe I am changing my mind about them (somewhat!). I absolutely will not carry one any considerable distance. I have owned a couple stands in my life but have almost exclusively been a ground hunter. I've killed a few bucks with a bow and from the ground at 25 yards or less in the past. I generally just HATE hunting from a stand and being confined to one.
I do have some "easy" spots in the mtns that I like to hunt for quick after work hunts. In those places, I think I may be taking in a stand before some of the hunts in case I want to hunt those easy access spots. I've come to realize that hunting exclusively from the ground has cost me a LOT of game over the last many years. I had a bear at 20 yards and a rifle in my hand one hunt last November. I couldn't pull off an ethical shot even at 20 yards with a rifle because of the dense tree saplings and young laurel bushes between us. Had I been in a stand even merely 6' off the ground, I could have smoked that bear. And I was probably hardly over 100 yards from the road. Getting it out would have been easy as pie. Had a similar occurance with a buck on Chattahoochee WMA last December.

I now have 3 climbers, including one MINT CONDITION original Tree Lounge stand that I recently acquired for free. I will be emplacing some of these in my easy spots to hunt out of this fall.
Not long ago, a co-worker of mine was teasing me. He said "you are the only guy I know that says things like "had a bear at 10 yards and a rifle in my hand......couldn't get a shot". All I can do is laugh about it because it is sad, but true. I like to hunt small openings in the midst of the thick....the real thick. I constantly get on the game but can hardly ever seal the deal just because of no shot opportunities. Just a few feet up a tree would make all the difference MUCH of the time.
I think I will employ these stands this fall and just see if my success rate improves. It is so low at the current, all it can do is improve!! Ha! ?

You pretty much summed up why I am wanting to get up off of the ground again. Many of the saddles and leads I hunt are fairly thick during early season and a tree stand/saddle would make a difference especially with a bow. Late season when the the leaves are down and a rifle in my hands I will likely be a ground dweller again.