Yankeee Smallmouths

oldfella1962

Villas County area?

Yes, Lac Vieux Desert is in northern Vilas county (bordering the Michigan's U.P.). I lived in Oneida County, south of Vilas County.

Reactions: NWS

NWS

My late Uncle (WW2 vet) lived in Fond du lac and fished Lake Winnebago religiously. He invited me every year I was in high school (early 1970’s) for 2 weeks in the summer to go “up north” to Rhinelander area and go fishing. Been all over Oneida & Vilas Co’s and also Hayward area since then. Fishing was great and the Supper Club’s even better. I sure could go for some of the Prime Rib they serve at the Al-Gen in Rhinelander or the Fish Fry at the Woodpecker Inn, the old Pinewood on Lake Thompson & also the old Pied Piper Supper Club. They’re just ain’t nothing like it.

Last edited:

oldfella1962

My late Uncle (WW2 vet) lived in Fond du lac and fished Lake Winnebago religiously. He invited me every year I was in high school (early 1970’s) for 2 weeks in the summer to go “up north” to Rhinelander area and go fishing. Been all over Oneida & Vilas Co’s and also Hayward area since then. Fishing was great and the Supper Club’s even better. I sure could go for some of the Prime Rib they serve at the Al-Gen in Rhinelander or the Fish Fry at the Woodpecker Inn, the old Pinewood on Lake Thompson & also the old Pied Piper Supper Club. They’re just ain’t nothing like it.

Rhinelander, "the hub of the north" as they used to call the place! :LOL: When I lived 45 minutes from there in the late 70's it was indeed the biggest town around, with a population of around 8,000 if I remember right.