Yellow jacket help!!!

LOVEMYLABXS

Ok I'm done being PC correct with killing the YELLOWJACKETS ( they've done killed or run my honey bees off) and I can't find some kind of poison that I can use that they'll take back to the nest. I've made a dozen traps that works but it's not working to KILL THEM. There is still 1000s fling around but at least their not real aggressive just a pain in your face.

Does anyone have a poison that I can put on some raw bacon or chicken that they'll take back to the nest which I have no idea where there at!

I'm empting traps like this every day................ HELP

View attachment 935941DSC_6538 (1024x681).jpg

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

I would say it is very close !! That many need shouldn't be hard to find !! I have been find them in strange places this year. They seem to be getting creative as to where they live. As far as your question, I actually have no idea. Google may help !

Artfuldodger

I read you can puff some flour on one and he'll head home. Then you can follow him. Probably easier said than done.

Don't they usually all head home at dusk? I'd still try and find the next as that's an easy kill with a road flare.

LOVEMYLABXS

Googled it and all I've come up with is find the nest and spray with a wasp killer but Im sure with the numbers that I have it's got to be multi nest. Talked with one of my neighbors that has fruit trees and his honey bees are gone also. I'm sure it's many nests and I'd like to find something that I can put on bacon/meat that they'll take back with them and kill the whole nest. I've never seen as many as this year.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I have had luck finding yellow jacket nests by getting out near sunset and scouting for pockets of heavy activity which will occur near the nests as the colony settles back in for the night.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
There's a poison called Onslaught that you can use as a bait and kill any nearby nests. I had them so bad around my cabin you almost couldn't skin a deer, They would cover it up in minutes after they caught wind of the blood. You can mix a little onslaught with meat (follow directions) and they will take it back to the nest and kill the whole bunch. You use meat instead of sugar so they honey bees don't get in it. Worked like a charm last year. I didn't have single yellow jacket around my skinning pole.

I'm allergic to Yellow Jackets so the best way for me to treat a sting is to not get stung in the first place.

Saw this over in the Deer Hunting forum. Don't know if it works or not , but as I've had some less than favorable experiences with those little critters over the years it struck me as something to try in the future.

LOVEMYLABXS

Saw this over in the Deer Hunting forum. Don't know if it works or not , but as I've had some less than favorable experiences with those little critters over the years it struck me as something to try in the future.
THANK YOU very much I'll check into it

Cook&Bro

I have had luck finding yellow jacket nests by getting out near sunset and scouting for pockets of heavy activity which will occur near the nests as the colony settles back in for the night.
^^^
This works well. And with the sun at your back and low on the horizon, they seem much easier to see. Course you need to have a rough idea where they are.

Artfuldodger

^^^
This works well. And with the sun at your back and low on the horizon, they seem much easier to see. Course you need to have a rough idea where they are.

Could one really set out some meat and follow one back to his home? I did read that they fly straight home. The article suggested putting out some cat food and following them back to their nest.

Weird but today I saw a hole on my yard with yellow jackets flying in and out. I've had a few over the past 5 years.

I bought a flare and stuck it int the hole at dark.

I've also noticed that every day right at dark the wooded lot next to me smells like something dead. My neighbors have chickens. Maybe they throw dead chickens in the wooded lot which attracts yellow jackets.

We haven't seen any in our yard or on our deck. We don't have any pets whose food would attract yellow jackets.

I couldn't tell or track which way they were coming and going.

Jack Ryan

Ok I'm done being PC correct with killing the YELLOWJACKETS ( they've done killed or run my honey bees off) and I can't find some kind of poison that I can use that they'll take back to the nest. I've made a dozen traps that works but it's not working to KILL THEM. There is still 1000s fling around but at least their not real aggressive just a pain in your face.

Does anyone have a poison that I can put on some raw bacon or chicken that they'll take back to the nest which I have no idea where there at!

I'm empting traps like this every day................ HELP

View attachment 935941View attachment 935944

Follow them back to their nest and find the/a hole they are going in and out. Mark it so you can find it after dark and puff it good with Sevin dust. You can use the shaker top or put some in a turkey baster if you don't have a commercial duster.

They'll still go in and out of that hole scattering that dust all through the nest all the way to the queen. They'll all be dead by the next night. Probably by noon.

Or if you are brave, ID the hole, get your shaker ready and do a run 'n dump shake at the hole and keep running. If you get it in the hole it'll work.

someguyintraffic

I find them by stepping on a nest hole and getting zapped

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
When you find the hole, a stream of that long range wasp spray will allow you to walk up to the hole and do whatever you need to do. Just watch for stragglers returning to the nest while you work.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
I've actually been seeing a lot more honey bees this year. Now if I was trying to skin a deer or hog I'm sure the yellow jackets would show up