Yellow perch ?

aznflycaster

Been catching a good bit of yellow perch and want to keep a few. Looked in the hand book and did not see them listed for length or creel. Are they called something else or not listed?

MTMiller

Interesting question. They don't even mention them in the regs that I can find. I'd like to know the answer too. I have a place where I catch a few of them and hear they are good eating.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I have caught and eaten a few yellow perch over the years. I find them to be delicious,hard to scale though. I've never seen big concentrations,the most I've ever known of are at Lake Juliet.
Yellow perch will go after crappie minnows. I've not seen bag/size limits either. Maybe they are like yankees,no one wants to acknowledge them living here. I would say to you,try some.

supernube

I don't think there is a limit, other than the ordinary 40 fish daily creel limit. No size limit either. They are almost impossible to scale, but there is a video on youtube that will show you how to skin them using a pocketknife. It works, but isn't as easy as they make it look.

Alan in GA

scale?!

they FILET perfectly! Just be CAREFUL of the rear edge of the gill plate, it comes to a point in the middle and believe me they can FILET YOU BACK if you put your wet finger against that point!!! Put your 'hold' thumb [I think, I just do it and don't think about where my fingers/thumb is] into the gill area UNDER the razor sharp gill plate when fileting them.
Tasty? YES
tough scales? YES
easy to filet and cook? YES

I tried the roe this spring because they were so big, it was ok but fried down to almost 'air'...just not much there to taste unless I did something wrong.
I love to fish for Yellow Perch! The Chattahoochee is full of them. Troll 2" floating Rapalas or throw 1/16 or 1/8oz jigs with curly tails. Let sink to bottom and bring back slowly just over the bottom, or even jig them ON the bottom if you are in deep enough water [12-14'] in the river. If water is up and running when they generate, then look for eddies by the shore where creeks or other openings creat eddies. They can hole up there, too.
Ultra lite or lite action open face spinning rod, and 4 lb line. Great for yellow perch if you can keep the spots off it : )

2 lbs 1 oz! {the perch, not my toe : ) } on 4 lb line and my own graphite rod with Mitchell 408. Using flourocarbon now.

Attachments

• 2 lb 1 oz.jpg
    2 lb 1 oz.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 937
  • yellow perch white jig.jpg
    yellow perch white jig.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
they FILET perfectly! Just be CAREFUL of the rear edge of the gill plate, it comes to a point in the middle and believe me they can FILET YOU BACK if you put your wet finger against that point!!! ....

It's not a gill plate. it's a RAZOR BLADE:eek: First time I caught one (long, long time ago) I learned my lesson...the hard way.

Bowyer29

I have caught and eaten a few yellow perch over the years. I find them to be delicious,hard to scale though. I've never seen big concentrations,the most I've ever known of are at Lake Juliet.
Yellow perch will go after crappie minnows. I've not seen bag/size limits either. Maybe they are like yankees,no one wants to acknowledge them living here. I would say to you,try some.

Just here collecting my war spoils. What would a bunch of Southerners do without Yankees to gripe about? Oh yeah, I remember.:whip::whip::whip:

lampern

They are non game fish.

There are no limits and you can shoot them with a bow and arrow or speargun.

That said if you fish Lake Hartwell ,SC considers them game fish and enforces a limit and counts them against the 40 fish total limit for Hartwell

The Ga regulations also seem to imply sturgeon are game fish and they are not. They are non game fish as well ( with a closed season)

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
It's not a gill plate. it's a RAZOR BLADE:eek: First time I caught one (long, long time ago) I learned my lesson...the hard way.
The same goes for "yellow bass" which are also a "non game" fish in Georgia, but are in Alabama. I've got plenty of scars from just taking out the hook. Sorry for the hi-jack.

lampern

Alabama, North Carolina and South Carolina classify yellow perch as a game fish.

As mentioned yellow bass are a game fish in Alabama waters but not Ga waters.

Alabama and SC have reciprocal agreements with Ga in regards to creel and size limits for some species of fish. I do not believe they apply to yellow bass and perch so one should check.

Last edited:

EDH

scale?!

they FILET perfectly! Just be CAREFUL of the rear edge of the gill plate, it comes to a point in the middle and believe me they can FILET YOU BACK if you put your wet finger against that point!!! Put your 'hold' thumb [I think, I just do it and don't think about where my fingers/thumb is] into the gill area UNDER the razor sharp gill plate when fileting them.
Tasty? YES
tough scales? YES
easy to filet and cook? YES

I tried the roe this spring because they were so big, it was ok but fried down to almost 'air'...just not much there to taste unless I did something wrong.
I love to fish for Yellow Perch! The Chattahoochee is full of them. Troll 2" floating Rapalas or throw 1/16 or 1/8oz jigs with curly tails. Let sink to bottom and bring back slowly just over the bottom, or even jig them ON the bottom if you are in deep enough water [12-14'] in the river. If water is up and running when they generate, then look for eddies by the shore where creeks or other openings creat eddies. They can hole up there, too.
Ultra lite or lite action open face spinning rod, and 4 lb line. Great for yellow perch if you can keep the spots off it : )

2 lbs 1 oz! {the perch, not my toe : ) } on 4 lb line and my own graphite rod with Mitchell 408. Using flourocarbon now.
That’s a monster! I don’t think hunk I’ve ever seen one that big.

MikeyD6

Deleted
Yellow perch are great eating, I used to catch them as a kid in Michigan. Surprised to know they're in Georgia, I always thought it was too warm for them here.

chrisn1818

Acworth and Alatoona are eat up with them. They are 3-4 inches long and will eat every minnow you have. They are pests!!! Keep them all. Sure it is different in cold water lakes where they get a little bigger.