Yesterday and Today in dbone's country

Skipper

Banned
Here are 2 pics I got of the same bull in North Carolina. The first is June of this year, the second, this past weekend. If I'm not mistaken, I've got a pic somewhere from 2003 of him as a 4x4.

Skipper

Elk4.jpg

Elk5.jpg

mikel

skipper

did you take those at cattaloochee?

Skipper

Banned
Yep. That place is real nice. I know they are about half trained, but at least you can get to them. We've got plenty here in Kentucky, but they are mostly on private property that you can't get into. The one in velvet was taken right at the barn at the Ranger's house, the other the big field just before the church. I've been there 4 times to get pics of the elk and they have always been super nice. In Cades Cove if you run across a photo worthy animal, you'd better get it quick before the rangers run you and the critter both off. In Cataloochie other than this last time, I've never had anything said to me about working around them in the field. For good photos, you have to get the sun to your back and the head looking at you. Not much of a market for hindends. This trip, a volunteer gal in there jumped me a little for being in the field "When the elk are in the field". Worried I'd get ran over I guess. It's a matter of time before they start making us buy permits in the Smokies for taking pictures. Some western states are doing it now. They (Federal Gooberment) are wanting commercial photographers to purchase a permit and provide proof of liability insurance to photograph in national parks.

Skipper