Yildiz Yields Year-end Byrd

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
This morning I heard the bird on the limb early and had a westerly bearing on the compass. Bird answered my hoots and led me cross country into wet, thick swamp. I stopped 150 yards short and knew it was pointless to call or try to set up until he flew as I didn’t know where the dry land was. He flew down, and after 5 minutes, I kept going westerly and found a park-like clean oak and pine hill rising dome-like out of the swamp about 150 yards from where I stopped. He didn’t gobble on the ground, but I took a chance and sat down just below the hill’s crest so that I could see 40 yards out. I clucked on my Lil’ Duece and Perfection RaspyD mouth call. Within about 10 minutes I heard drumming to my right and there he was about 40 yards out. I couldn’t move my gun to the right until he went behind a tree and was able to spin around the base of the pine where I sat. I held the little gun up until he cleared the tree and let the shot fly. He was 19 steps away. Rig weighs 3 lbs, 9 oz. .410 hand load is TSS 9, 13/16 oz. This was the third 2013 Ga. bird and second with the .410. Beard is 10.5” and spurs, 1.1”. He’s a typical, gobbled-out, lightweight swamp bird on public land miles from any food plot or farm field. Shot him a gps’d 750 meters from where I parked the truck. This was a good way to start the work week and end the season.

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_00875.JPG

Last edited:

Gaswamp

That's a nice bird, Gil. Congrats