You guys think this deer is old?

GAHunterr

Just got pictures of this guy last week. I've never had pictures of him before, but he looks like a cool 8. Also, I had a huge cedar tree that was rubbed a month ago, and I'm thinking it was this guy. The biggest buck I had on this property two years ago was the only buck that rubbed the cedar trees, and I shot him. No rubs on the cedar trees last year, but they appeared again this year. He looks like he has some tree debris on his bases. But how old do you think this deer is. His body doesn't look huge, but I think at least 3 1/2

Attachments

• Sky1.jpg
    Sky1.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 1,972
  • sky2.jpg
    sky2.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 2,059
  • sky5.jpg
    sky5.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 1,652
  • sky6.jpg
    sky6.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 1,643
  • sky7.jpg
    sky7.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,649

six

2 1/2?

FOLES55

I’d say 3.5 at the oldest

spencer12

I'm going to say 3.5. The only reason I say that is

1.) He has probably lost weight from the rut therefore he looks a lot skinnier.
2.) In my neck of the woods it is very rare to see a 2.5 year old with those gnarly bases that he is developing ( and I live in a very good area of Georgia as far as quality bucks)
3.) Again as with #2 he has a bit more mass than an average 2.5 year old buck. Tine length and spread can develop quite young, but mass (although not huge on this buck) comes with age.

So just from MY experiences watching, passing, and targeting specific bucks for quite awhile I say 3.5.

BUT again he very well could be 2.5, either way he has not reached maturity yet.

GAHunterr

Thank you for the input guys. This big boy is gonna get the pass this year

Possum

Banned
i'm going to say 3.5. The only reason i say that is

1.) he has probably lost weight from the rut therefore he looks a lot skinnier.
2.) in my neck of the woods it is very rare to see a 2.5 year old with those gnarly bases that he is developing ( and i live in a very good area of georgia as far as quality bucks)
3.) again as with #2 he has a bit more mass than an average 2.5 year old buck. Tine length and spread can develop quite young, but mass (although not huge on this buck) comes with age.

So just from my experiences watching, passing, and targeting specific bucks for quite awhile i say 3.5.

But again he very well could be 2.5, either way he has not reached maturity yet.

PappyHoel

Doesn't look old

bwbb88

I agree, he looks to be 3.5. Hes also favoring that back left leg. Hopefully it doesn’t affect his antler growth next year, it doesn’t look too bad but the last three pics he has it lifted.

Woodsman28

I have always thought I was a pretty decent judge of deer on the hoof. However, I have also learned that it can be almost impossible to tell the difference between a 2.5 and 3.5 year old on the hoof. Some deer have different body types, and depending on the time of year, you can call a deer 2.5 all day long when he's actually 3.5.

On our farm we have killed two bucks particularly that also represent how difficult it can be aging bucks on the hoof. We killed a 240lbs 18'' 9pt a few years ago that turned out to be a super buck at 3.5. Several years later we also killed an 18'' 10pt that weighed 140lbs and turned out to be 6.5+ after seeing the jawbone. These two bucks simply had very different body types. The 6.5 year old even had a "long-legged" look and was a very short deer, along with being badly rutted down. Most people whould've called him 3.5 no doubt.

1gr8bldr

His body shows no sign of maturity. No blocky head or big neck. But he is neither young, because young deer rarely have trash showing in the younger years. My guess is poor genetic 4.5. He will never be anything. He is not healthy enough to put on much next year, and his genetics are restricting his potential. Let a kid blast him. Keep in mind that 90% of those who estimate deer age have no real knowledge of what they are estimating. It takes watching multiple same KNOWN deer for years to realize that they are older than thought.

Last edited: