Young deer right?

Mark K

Let’s see, the properties that produce huge bucks year after year have a mandatory doe management program, but yet the argument remains no deer if you kill does so kill all the little bucks. Truth is a little buck is about as stupid as most teenagers. Add the rut in and a young buck is the most stupid animal in the wild. I’d much rather take a big ole doe than a young buck. Saw a doe kill last night that had the hunter as proud as could be, she was impressive pushing 150+. I had to check between the legs to make sure he wasn’t getting excited about a buck that had already shed, lol. The last week of the season is our doe management time and they are dropping like flies. Unfortunately there’s no way we’ll meet our projected quota. Didn’t see a single doe this summer with anything less than twins and most had triplets. Some of us find satisfaction in keeping a well balanced herd and giving young bucks a chance at their potential, others just kill whatever walks out to say they filled their buck tags I guess. Some of us enjoy seeing bucks during the rut. I’d be willing to bet most here have never seen a true rut period. A well balanced herd brings all the excitement that nature intended. Unfortunately for that to happen bucks have to reach their potential and does have to be harvested. Maybe it’s just a SW Georgia thing.

Let’s see, the properties that produce huge bucks year after year have a mandatory doe management program, but yet the argument remains no deer if you kill does so kill all the little bucks. Truth is a little buck is about as stupid as most teenagers. Add the rut in and a young buck is the most stupid animal in the wild. I’d much rather take a big ole doe than a young buck. Saw a doe kill last night that had the hunter as proud as could be, she was impressive pushing 150+. I had to check between the legs to make sure he wasn’t getting excited about a buck that had already shed, lol. The last week of the season is our doe management time and they are dropping like flies. Unfortunately there’s no way we’ll meet our projected quota. Didn’t see a single doe this summer with anything less than twins and most had triplets. Some of us find satisfaction in keeping a well balanced herd and giving young bucks a chance at their potential, others just kill whatever walks out to say they filled their buck tags I guess. Some of us enjoy seeing bucks during the rut. I’d be willing to bet most here have never seen a true rut period. A well balanced herd brings all the excitement that nature intended. Unfortunately for that to happen bucks have to reach their potential and does have to be harvested. Maybe it’s just a SW Georgia thing.
Just as what's his name said opinions seem to grow on trees everybody's got one. Some people voice their opinion to be heard because they have a valid point. Some voice it to start crap and some just like to hear themselves talk. So i'll kill my deer. What's his name will shoot the one in the back. You kill yours. Antharper kills all of em and ends up with a hefty fine from gw for shootin too many bucks lol. Everyone hunts their own way. Everybody's outlook can't be right but we all agree management of the heard (whatever your take on it is) is necessary to ensure a future for our children. happy hunting.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

I think they all look like excellent, healthy deer.

Shoot the one YOU like and don’t let anyone worry you.

You have the land or hunting rights and the only one you need to make happy is YOU.

I am archery only but use a crossbow and see folks make comments like “crossbows should be banned” - I grin like a mule eating briars when I hear comments like that.

Enjoy your hunts!!!