Young deer right?

yogi10

Everyone think this is a young buck with good potential? Only picture I have of him. It is from this afternoon.

Attachments

• C24EB226-602F-4C7E-A431-0D19F51B3A0E.png
    C24EB226-602F-4C7E-A431-0D19F51B3A0E.png
    292 KB · Views: 368

yogi10

Hopefully this picture is bigger and more clear.

Attachments

• 8 Pointer.jpg
    8 Pointer.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 307

yogi10

I agree! He would catch a bullet no doubt but would still love to know he is still growing. I watched him at 500 yards or more this afternoon.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Shooting the one in the back Gives a fella one to eat and leaves the one in the front to grow another year. That don't sound like a dummy move to me.

I try not to hunt with dummies but to each his own.

Christian hughey

Shooting the one in the back Gives a fella one to eat and leaves the one in the front to grow another year. That don't sound like a dummy move to me.

I try not to hunt with dummies but to each his own.
Dude if you shoot the one in the back you have no business hunting. Give him a chance at life also. Shoot a doe if your hungry. I try to mind my own business but to each his own and I hunt with good company, can't help their hunting habits.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
4.5 for sure 1 more year and he is good for the wall. Wish I could hunt with guys who have your patience. The dummies i hunt with wouldn't hesitate to shoot the one in back.
Dude he's good for the wall now!
The big one, not the little feller in the back. ??

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Dude if you shoot the one in the back you have no business hunting. Give him a chance at life also. Shoot a doe if your hungry. I try to mind my own business but to each his own and I hunt with good company, can't help their hunting habits.

Man, there just isn't anything like having the only correct opinion in the universe is there. Your opinion that I have no business hunting is equally as simple minded.

Hunting in modern times is done for the enjoyment of the activity and I have a good deal of fun at it. You say that you hunt with good company yet you call them idiots and ridicule their hunting choices. I hear conflict and unhappiness for someone in that situation. I hunt with exceptional company and enjoy it, the longest relationship is 36 years and the most recent is 11, not counting grandchildren. We are happy for one another for each kill whether it is a young doe or a mature buck.

Shooting a young buck removes one deer from the population. Shooting a doe removes the possibility of two to three deer next year, four or five the next an so on into the future. Shooting nothing does not reduce the population at all. Where I hunt we are experiencing more and more habitat encroachment by people. Ten deer, that I am aware of, were killed on the road that fronts my property between last season and this and there might have been more. One good buck that I am aware of was poached from the road within sight of my property. When DNR arrested the guy they seized two additional racks. I had much rather shoot a young buck on my property than a good stud deer. My younger hunters are not as selective yet but I am working on that. I try to grow does and let my neighbors grow bucks. We shoot those bucks when they come to visit my does during the rut. You see, someone else is hunting your bucks too.

Some people like hunting and some people like to hang things on the wall. I have every rack that I ever shot except for two that were stolen. I have never nor do I want to put anything on my wall. My hunting partners have mounted many deer killed on my place through the years and I still have the top three, all unmounted. I take them out once in a while, hold them and remember.

So, you keep shooting the one in the front for your reasons and I will keep shooting the one in the back or none at all for my reasons.

bany

That buck is 3 or 4 and it will make someone a trophy one day if it’s harvested!
Makes sense to shoot a 1 1/2 yro buck. It’s good eating. If you’re trying to manage you don’t have a lot invested in it. Buck in question here is breeding and has a couple more years to be a giant and spread those genes. Shooting a mature doe takes out a bunch of deer over a couple years. A granny is a different story of course and they can be more elusive than a buck. Bothers me folks are killing mature doe around the rut, mainly cause everyone is gung-ho about getting a big buck and that’s the most likely time to see a couple. I suppose attitude changes if or when a guy harvests a bruiser. Roadkill and other mortality plays into the scenario too.
I’m hopeful the couple decent bucks around me are holed up. Most of the deer around me now are yearlings. This is on urban private land.

Christian hughey

Man, there just isn't anything like having the only correct opinion in the universe is there. Your opinion that I have no business hunting is equally as simple minded.

Hunting in modern times is done for the enjoyment of the activity and I have a good deal of fun at it. You say that you hunt with good company yet you call them idiots and ridicule their hunting choices. I hear conflict and unhappiness for someone in that situation. I hunt with exceptional company and enjoy it, the longest relationship is 36 years and the most recent is 11, not counting grandchildren. We are happy for one another for each kill whether it is a young doe or a mature buck.

Shooting a young buck removes one deer from the population. Shooting a doe removes the possibility of two to three deer next year, four or five the next an so on into the future. Shooting nothing does not reduce the population at all. Where I hunt we are experiencing more and more habitat encroachment by people. Ten deer, that I am aware of, were killed on the road that fronts my property between last season and this and there might have been more. One good buck that I am aware of was poached from the road within sight of my property. When DNR arrested the guy they seized two additional racks. I had much rather shoot a young buck on my property than a good stud deer. My younger hunters are not as selective yet but I am working on that. I try to grow does and let my neighbors grow bucks. We shoot those bucks when they come to visit my does during the rut. You see, someone else is hunting your bucks too.

Some people like hunting and some people like to hang things on the wall. I have every rack that I ever shot except for two that were stolen. I have never nor do I want to put anything on my wall. My hunting partners have mounted many deer killed on my place through the years and I still have the top three, all unmounted. I take them out once in a while, hold them and remember.

So, you keep shooting the one in the front for your reasons and I will keep shooting the one in the back or none at all for my reasons.
Arguement holds no water in this conversation. I can call my friends what I please as they do. It's called comradary, tough on each other so they don't end up actin too girly like much of the rest of the world theses days. Excuse me for not killin babies but just as you said you do you. I'll keep letting the one up front walk another year if I know I hold bigger on that property. There are also plenty of bucks that mature and just dont have potential that need to be culled and that's fine. All I said was give the little guy a couple years to enjoy life before he goes in the freezer. Can't say that's a bad thing. If your just here lookin for an argument, which it seems very much like it then take your opinion to the girly, baby deer killing forum because I believe this gentlemen was asking about maturity of this deer. We can't prevent development so let's not get into something we as hunters can't prevent.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: