Your thoughts on too many does?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
On mine and my friend's places in SC, we had to stop shooting does completely. The deer were about gone because of idiots shooting too many does. After four years of shooting no does, we are already seeing a very positive difference. More deer, more bucks, more nice bucks. You cannot maintain a healthy deer population by hammering does year after year.

Mark K

Banned
On mine and my friend's places in SC, we had to stop shooting does completely. The deer were about gone because of idiots shooting too many does. After four years of shooting no does, we are already seeing a very positive difference. More deer, more bucks, more nice bucks. You cannot maintain a healthy deer population by hammering does year after year.
There are places all over the State and Country that disagree with your observations. “Hammering” no...managing yes. Guess DNR gave a little too much credit to hunters in setting the limits. Some must look at it like a mandatory rule instead of a management tool.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
More does equals more bucks to chase them during the rut which better your chances!

I don’t hunt rubs or scrapes, I hunt the does!
If you got does a Big Boy will eventually come by, been hunting that way since it was taught to me as a kid!

Blisterapine

I don't personally shoot does in Georgia anymore on my property, the limit's are so ridiculous that I figure enough get run over / shot within a couple mile radius why add to the numbers, I give them 700 acres of No-fire zone. That being said I still don't have many does at all.

Mauser

We have 1800 acres in Morgan, 75 does in a 100 acre field is a normal afternoon hunt. May see a buck or not. You very rarely see bucks chasing during the rut since our doe population exploded. You can ride down Williamsburg Rd and see the browse line around our fields

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
So less does equals more bucks? At least that’s what I understand from your post.

No. Less does means very few bucks. A healthy population of does means more bucks.