Youth day sucess

Permitchaser

Last year my grandson and I went but the turkeys won
This year I had a plan to help him get a gobbler
Since the birds roosted on the left side of the field last year I decided to go to the right side, set up decoys and call them over. After we set up this year in the morning dark. I started some soft tree calls. Darn there was a gobbler roosted within 75 yds behind us but it sounded like a young gobbler or a very old one. I told my grandson to shoot it if it has a beard even a small one So as it got light I did a fly down and cackle and a short time later he flew down then his hen flew down. He went the other direction gobbling. So we pick up decoys and moved to where we could head him off. After we set up his hen started yelling at us so I yelled back at her trying to call her over and bring the gobbler. She got within about 60-75 yds by the sound of her but then walked off cutting and yelping. So we moved again. I didn't bring my struting Tom just two hen decoys. After we set up and called a turkey gobbled back where we came from. We stayed put to see what would happen. Later he had moved to in front of us in the woods, we where on the edge of a field in front of the woods. He gobbled every time I called and cut me off so I knew he was hot. Later my grandson saw his blue head poping up over a mound in the field in front of us. He came over the mound strutting and spitting after seeing our decoys. I let him get in the decoys before telling my grandson to shoot. Success!
A 3-4 year old bird. 9 1\2" beard and 1 1\4" spurs
My grandson was so pumped he said it was like we where on a hunting show

I'd post a picture but old iPhone 5 pictures are too big and my MS 10 won't let me change the size
Man we had fun
Sorry I'm so long

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like awesome memories , congrats to u both !

killerv

Congrats!

We got close but my son missed. 25 yards by the decoys. He got to hear and see a great show though.

wvdawg

Staff member
Sweet! Congrats!

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Great job guys! My daughter and I where two steps behind them all weekend, but got to hear some and see one so I am not complaining to much.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Awesome!!!!!! Huge bird!!!!!!

Tomboy Boots

Turkey Killer
The smile says it all! Congratulations on a great hunt with your grandson :cheers: What gun was he shooting?