Zell Miller on Deliverance.

Artfuldodger

Do yall put peanuts in your Coke or do yall drink pop upair?

"upair" took me a minute. Maybe more like "upare."

They used to grow some perty backer upare. We used to buy rosen ears upare as well.

We also had a few pole cats come through our campsites upare. Our far didn't even keep em away.

My Dad says folks in all of South Georgia talked this way when he was a boy. He is 96. Slowly though for some reason it slowly changed.

Also if a word ended in a vowel you put a "r" on the end. If a word had a r on the end, you left it off.
Such as bananner or pizzeer. But ruler is "rulah." Sandra is Sander and Martha is Marther. It think this may be an Old English thing as well. In England ruler is pronounced rulah. My mom does this, she always drops the "r" on the end of a word. If it ends in a vowel, she add and "r."

Jonah is Joner, Cuba is Cuber. Noah is No-ee.

Whur some people in South Georgia talk like this, even more in Appalachia talk like this. I'm sure it's based on isolation.

I still pronounce the "l" in walk, talk, and chalk. My wife being from Augusta doesn't. She says wok, tok, and chok. A chok board.

Last edited:

NOYDB

BANNED
Being a Military brat I've heard all sorts of ways to say things. I haven't used all that I've heard over the years, but I do have some favs. Some are the same words but are pronounced differently. Sit in a mess hall where all the soldiers are gathered, and listen to all the different accents.

The school I went to in Singapore had 26 different nationalities in attendance (at the time). My mates at the time were from Australia plus I hung out with a lot of British blokes. Throw in all the Ambassadors kids and we learned not to pay much attention to accents. Everyone had one (or more).

One of my friends was the Dutch Ambassador's son. They had a pet Orangutan. They are strong! Nothing like having your hair picked for nits after school.

Singapore American School, has a nice write up on Wiki.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
"upair" took me a minute. Maybe more like "upare."

They used to grow some perty backer upare. We used to buy rosen ears upare as well.

We also had a few pole cats come through our campsites upare. Our far didn't even keep em away.

My Dad says folks in all of South Georgia talked this way when he was a boy. He is 96. Slowly though for some reason it slowly changed.

Also if a word ended in a vowel you put a "r" on the end. If a word had a r on the end, you left it off.
Such as bananner or pizzeer. But ruler is "rulah." Sandra is Sander and Martha is Marther. It think this may be an Old English thing as well. In England ruler is pronounced rulah. My mom does this, she always drops the "r" on the end of a word. If it ends in a vowel, she add and "r."

Jonah is Joner, Cuba is Cuber. Noah is No-ee.

Whur some people in South Georgia talk like this, even more in Appalachia talk like this. I'm sure it's based on isolation.

I still pronounce the "l" in walk, talk, and chalk. My wife being from Augusta doesn't. She says wok, tok, and chok. A chok board.
Here in the mountains, we leave the "r" on the end of a word that has one, and add an "r" to vowel endings. Anna =Anner, banana = nanner, etc. We even add "r"s to words that don't end in vowels. Those stinging insects that build open paper nests under the eaves of your house are "wawspers," for example. We also have a unique, nasa way of pronouncing the short "a", kind of like an "i" added to it. It's pretty much unspellable, but just listen to Richard Petty say the word "fast" in a Goody's Powder commercial. Kind of like "fiaist." :)

BTW, you are correct on the origins. The "hillbilly accent" is pretty much pure Elizabethan English from the 1600s that survived in isolation in the Appalachians. A lot of the older folks when I was a kid used "holp" for "help," and suchlike old English pronunciations.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Here in the mountains, we leave the "r" on the end of a word that has one, and add an "r" to vowel endings. Anna =Anner, banana = nanner, etc. We even add "r"s to words that don't end in vowels. Those stinging insects that build open paper nests under the eaves of your house are "wawspers," for example. We also have a unique, nasa way of pronouncing the short "a", kind of like an "i" added to it. It's pretty much unspellable, but just listen to Richard Petty say the word "fast" in a Goody's Powder commercial. Kind of like "fiaist." :)

BTW, you are correct on the origins. The "hillbilly accent" is pretty much pure Elizabethan English from the 1600s that survived in isolation in the Appalachians. A lot of the older folks when I was a kid used "holp" for "help," and suchlike old English pronunciations.
Do you say Chicargo and Warshington ?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Do you say Chicargo and Warshington ?
No on Chicargo, yes on Warshenton.

The "g" always gets dropped off the "ing" thing, too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We call y'all's state "Jorjee."

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
"We may talk slow but those apples are 12.00 a bag." just saying....

Hillbilly stalker

Fire =far
far=fur
tire=tar
close= pert near
drain=drean
care=keer
it=hit
poison=pizen
wasp=wasper
hard road= black top
chap=children
jasper=heathen
Theater=movie house/picture show
All holler talk

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Jawja, Flarder, Noth Kerliner, N`awlens, Looozianer, Missippi, Tennsee, Alerbamer.

This is mainly older generation folks from around here that uses this dialect. The younger folks for the most part tend to talk more "proper".

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fire =far
far=fur
tire=tar
close= pert near
drain=drean
care=keer
it=hit
poison=pizen
wasp=wasper
hard road= black top
chap=children
jasper=heathen
Theater=movie house/picture show
All holler talk
Same here except for "drean," "chap," and "jasper."

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Jawja, Flarder, Noth Kerliner, N`awlens, Looozianer, Missippi, Tennsee, Alerbamer.

This is mainly older generation folks from around here that uses this dialect. The younger folks for the most part tend to talk more "proper".
Jorjee, Flahrdee, North C'liner, South C'liner, Vurjinyee here, but we pronounce Alabama and Tennessee normally. Some of the older folks used to say "Alabammer," though.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Reminds of the quote from Deliverance; Whose playing the banjo?

I wonder how much sourwood honey is going for?

Tupelo honey (my favorite) has done got high. Glad I have a connection in Wewa.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Reminds of the quote from Deliverance; Whose playing the banjo?

I wonder how much sourwood honey is going for?
You mean "Whose a' pickin' banjers in hyere?" :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Jorjee, Flahrdee, North C'liner, South C'liner, Vurjinyee here, but we pronounce Alabama and Tennessee normally. Some of the older folks used to say "Alabammer," though.

I can understand any Southern dialect that I`ve heard, but some of those yankee gibberish I don`t have a clue what they`re saying.

Artfuldodger

Down here wasp is waulst or waulstes.

I used to hear the term parched peanuts for roasted peanuts. I haven't heared that term in awhile.