Some More Smokies Trouts

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Went out Friday and hit a few nearby creeks in the National Park, from bigger waters to small headwater creeks. Caught scads of fish all day. Nothing huge, but just normal small-stream wild fish. Had a very enjoyable day.

Photodump:

c4.jpg

c5brown.jpg

c4bow.jpg

c4bow2.jpg

c4speck.jpg

c3.jpg

c3-2.jpg

serpent.jpg

shrooms.jpg

c3bow.jpg

c3speck.jpg

lunch.jpg

lunch2.jpg

c2.jpg

c2bow1.jpg

c2bow2.jpg

Hit one little creek at about 5,000' elevation, up under the red spruces. This is one of my favorite streams, and holds some of the most vibrant colored specks I've ever seen anywhere.

c1.jpg'

c1-2.jpg

c1speck1.jpg

c1speck2.jpg

c1speck3.jpg

c1speck4.jpg

c1speck5.jpg

c1speck6.jpg

c1speck7.jpg

c1speck8.jpg

Kept a 5-fish limit and grilled them up for supper over some pecan coals with fried red taters with bacon and onions. Quite delicious.

supper.jpg

Buckman18

:fine:

Sweet!

deerhuntingdawg

Awesome photos Hillbilly!!

Vance1012

What flies do you use on those mountain trout I went blue lining a couple weeks ago and only fly I got hit on was the squirmy worm, I would like to go ahead and catch some on some "real" flies lol

deerhuntingdawg

I catch mine on #14 Elk Hair Caddis on those small steams. Here's a couple from yesterday...

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
What flies do you use on those mountain trout I went blue lining a couple weeks ago and only fly I got hit on was the squirmy worm, I would like to go ahead and catch some on some "real" flies lol

If you look in the mouths of several of those, you will see a #14 yellow/orange Stimulator. My go-to combo on most of the small streams is a #14 Stimulator with a #14-#16 yellow or tan nymph about a foot and a half under it. Other patterns that produce well are #12-#14 Yellow Palmer, #14 Elk-hair Caddis, #14 Thunderhead, #14 Yellow Humpy, #14 Orange Palmer, #14 Parachute Adams. In late summer, hopper and ant patterns do well. Usually, stealth (can't emphasize this enough-think like you're deer hunting,) presentation and a drag-free drift are more important than pattern. Most of the fish in these small streams are opportunistic feeders, but are very wary and easily spooked. If you can see the fish, they can see you. You want to keep a low profile, wear camo or dark clothing, and hide behind rocks and bushes.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Curious about rod length, line weight, type-WF or DT, and leader length on these small streams.

Instead of frying those potatoes, try this:
I like cutting the mini-sized potatoes into quarters and putting in a gallon ziploc back. Pour in olive oil, enough to coat potatoes by massaging outside of bag. Put on a cookie sheet with alumium foil to cut down on clean-up after cooking. Shake on salt, pepper or favorite seasoning, skin side down on the foil. Put in preheated oven at 375 for 20-25 minutes--they will begin to slightly brown. You could use cut up new potatoes into pieces about the same size in your photo or a little bigger. I know nothing tastes better than fried food, but potatoes cooked like above ain't too shabby. Gil

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Fine country, purty fish, great food. It` don`t get better`n that.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Curious about rod length, line weight, type-WF or DT, and leader length on these small streams.

Instead of frying those potatoes, try this:
I like cutting the mini-sized potatoes into quarters and putting in a gallon ziploc back. Pour in olive oil, enough to coat potatoes by massaging outside of bag. Put on a cookie sheet with alumium foil to cut down on clean-up after cooking. Shake on salt, pepper or favorite seasoning, skin side down on the foil. Put in preheated oven at 375 for 20-25 minutes--they will begin to slightly brown. You could use cut up new potatoes into pieces about the same size in your photo or a little bigger. I know nothing tastes better than fried food, but potatoes cooked like above ain't too shabby. Gil

I was using an 8' 3 weight with a WF floating line and about a 7' braided leader base with around 3' of 2 lb test Maxima Chameleon mono tippet. I like a long rod even on small streams-helps to keep line off the water and keep the fly from dragging. The WF is the ticket for small creeks, because you often only have a few feet of fly line out.

I do taters the same way as you describe often myself, and enjoy them a lot. Just like cast-iron fried taters with my trout.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Fine country, purty fish, great food. It` don`t get better`n that.

Unless you got Nic up here helpin' you catch fish and eat vittles. :)

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Is the water as low there as it is here? It's gittin dry.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Is the water as low there as it is here? It's gittin dry.

Not too bad yet in the Smokies here. It came some good drenching rain Wed, and again Friday night. Over around Asheville though, it's dry as a popcorn poot.

Flaustin1

Pure envy from this flatlander. Id like to know a little about that porter too.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Pure envy from this flatlander. Id like to know a little about that porter too.

It's made here in the Waynesville area. Pretty good stuff.