For you hunters 55 and older

pop pop jones

Well, I'm 63. My son in law, his brother, a friend of theirs and myself hunted the BFGrant hunt last year. Set my stand
the afternoon before the first day. Saturday morning as I was climbing up, my right lung collapsed. I set there, hoping to get a shot, till they called me in. 1 and a half hours later, SIL came and helped me out. I stayed in camp another day before my wife and son drove down after me. I had surgery 2 days later. We've just put in for the hunt again. I'll be in a ground blind this year. I thought I was finished, who knows, may be this year. Good luck guys.

95g atl

I use to think 55 was ANCIENT.....

Even though I still have a ways to go, when I stop and think about it, darn, it's not that far off.

Can't stop the clock.

RossVegas

I'm only 49, but I have arthritis. Long walks, especially on hilly terrain about kill me. I've been on a lease the last several years, using an atv. I'm back to public land this year. It'll probably limit what I can do, but I'll ne out there every chance I get.

Dusty Roads

Forever Vigilant!

Miguel mentioned in another thread that us older codgers need our own sub forum. That probably aint gonna happen but here something I will add.

I have a good friend who is like me and has some health issues that have slowed him down. He has chosen to give up on hunting and the outdoors all together. :confused:

I am gonna give up about 2 days before the funeral personally.
:cool::bounce:

rjseniorpro

still kicking, just not as high

I'm 68 and still love the Deer woods, just in a different way. I haven't killed a Deer in 5 years, just let them walk and enjoy the memories. Enjoy the camping, cooking, napping, stories, cameras, UTV, camp fires, and time with the wife. If I saw a big Buck, I would probably just take a picture of him, but don't let a hog or cote come my way.....I've had the same small tract leased for 37 years and my Dad and two brothers have passed, but the memories are still alive and I cherish them.

95g atl

The years, they go by fast, and every year, they speed up. Live each day to the fullest, and don`t just exist, LIVE, and live well.

Be thankful for each and every day.

You are so correct, sir. I realize that more and more as each passing day goes by! Funny, as a young man this wasn't even on my mind. Now at 42, I think about it often. Hopefully God will keep me on this earth long enough to raise my son, get him off to a good start when he is an adult, and I will be able to see my grandchildren.

With that said, I gave up my corporate career and that lifestyle to spend more time with my son and actually enjoy life. The 60+ hour weeks AND huge income just is not worth it in my opinion. I watched my father do it and he worked until he was unable due to cancer. I don't believe he enjoyed life to its fullest.

If y'all don't mind a pre-55 guy lurking here, I'd like to hang around. :)

BowArrow

From my avatar, you can see I started young. I am 78 and had two cancers and heart attach. Started bowhunting in 1966 and am full time bow. I hunt by myself except for going to Ossabaw with my friend who is 81. I have taken up summer time hog hunting at Fort Stewart where I camp by myself. Planted a food plot this week and put up stands. Hunt six different properties and have stands up on most. Had special utility trailer made to carry all of my hunting and camping gear. Can stay for days and take a shower ever day with a pressurized water system on my 4.5 x 7 trailer. I know it is not a good idea to hunt or fish by yourself but I am not going to sit home and look at four walls.

95g atl

I have taken up summer time hog hunting at Fort Stewart where I camp by myself. Planted a food plot this week and put up stands. Hunt six different properties and have stands up on most. Had special utility trailer made to carry all of my hunting and camping gear. Can stay for days and take a shower ever day with a pressurized water system on my 4.5 x 7 trailer. I know it is not a good idea to hunt or fish by yourself but I am not going to sit home and look at four walls.

PM me if you want a buddy to hunt hog in Fort Stewart every so often. I've been meaning to get down there to register weapons and pay the fee. I would use a firearm, VS bow, however......

HighCotton

Just turned 70 and still looking forward to hunting this fall. I walk a little slower and appreciate shooting rails on my ladders. Used to hunt alone a lot but now prefer to have someone else in the woods with me. Don't even consider not hunting...... But don't shoot as much as I used to, lots more watching than shooting, just as enjoyable.

Glad to see you are still kicking George. Hope all is well with you. I'll continue to hunt as long as I can and as long as it's enjoyable. So far, I haven't slowed down much but I do sometimes prefer afternoon hunts rather than morning hunts these days.

Last edited:

Bodine

64 this season, as soon as it turns cool I'll be walking the woods again. Walking the woods and interpreting sign is what I love.
No need to be in a hurry, no need for a motor driven vehicle.
For the last 15 years I have shared my knowledge with the children in our group, placing climbers for them and showing and telling them why they are setting up where they are.
Some of these children now have children, and I will be working with them too.
We have killed some nice ones together and they get to pull the trigger.

old florida gator

I have had three surguries , this year and turned 71 since last season i still get out and walk ride my fixed bike and am looking foward to another hunting sason, will keep hunting as long as i am able. God willing and the creek don't rise.

DLH_Woodstock

Used to hunt in Michigan's U.P. in the 80's,. One of my cousins hunting partners was in his mid eighties and he
didn't come back form hunting in the evening. Guys found him dead from natural causes in his ground blind and a nice 8 point buck about
40 yards out laying dead too. He died doing what he enjoyed most. I wouldn't mind going that way either.

AMEN to this and the angles say :yeah:

Dirtroad Johnson

Back in 61 or 62 my dad & 3 friends went out of town deer huntin' down around Brunswick or maybe Homerville. My dad & 2 of his friends were in their 30's & Mr. Fletcher was a lot older (senior citizen) & when they arrived where they were gonna hunt, they suggested to pair off so someone would know the general area that the other would be but Mr. Fletcher told my Dad & the others No that he knew these woods like the back of his hand. When he didn't show back up to the truck on time, they got really concerned when the minutes turned into hours & they had blew the truck horn, hollered, the 3 of them stomped - yelled all thru the woods without finding him. I remember standing by my mama when my Dad had called on the phone & said he was afraid something bad was wrong & they had notified authorities. They had folks on foot, horses & a helicopter searching. He was found the next morning by someone on foot sitting down leaning against a tree with his legs crossed & gun across his lap. He had died of a heart attack. We lived about half mile from Mr. Fletcher & my dad farmed his land on halves. All 4 are no longer with us. I woulda been 6 or 7.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Like many I'm sure, I hope my final day is in the stand. Hopefully the stand that is the farthest back in the woods and in a box blind because I want my hunting buddies to have a great story about what a nightmare it was to get me out of the woods!!!

Me too! :bounce::cool:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Back in 61 or 62 my dad & 3 friends went out of town deer huntin' down around Brunswick or maybe Homerville. My dad & 2 of his friends were in their 30's & Mr. Fletcher was a lot older (senior citizen) & when they arrived where they were gonna hunt, they suggested to pair off so someone would know the general area that the other would be but Mr. Fletcher told my Dad & the others No that he knew these woods like the back of his hand. When he didn't show back up to the truck on time, they got really concerned when the minutes turned into hours & they had blew the truck horn, hollered, the 3 of them stomped - yelled all thru the woods without finding him. I remember standing by my mama when my Dad had called on the phone & said he was afraid something bad was wrong & they had notified authorities. They had folks on foot, horses & a helicopter searching. He was found the next morning by someone on foot sitting down leaning against a tree with his legs crossed & gun across his lap. He had died of a heart attack. We lived about half mile from Mr. Fletcher & my dad farmed his land on halves. All 4 are no longer with us. I woulda been 6 or 7.

No words needed. :cheers: