Spoon fishing

slingblade625

What are some of the jiggin spoons you guys use an get the best results on. I watched a guy jig up fish after fish Saturday an I had been jigging basically the same area before he came in. I did not catch a fish on a spoon. I started to float over an ask him what spoon he was using but I believe he was tournament fishing,so I didn't since I was just fishing. It looked like it was a vertical flutter spoon!! Not exactly sure but what he was using certainly wasnt what I used, because he was catching fish by the basket full.

WPrich

I just use plain kastmasters, but those Ben Parker spoons have been the craze so he may have been using them.

Coenen

The spoon remains a mystery to me as well. I'm making an effort to throw them more, but just not having much in the way of luck. Must not have the right angle in my dangle.

ryork

I like the Flex-Its as well. If you're using one of the spoons that doesn't come with an o-ring or swivel, like the old style Hopkins spoons, it is worth the effort to attach one to tie the line on to. Makes a big difference IMO.

slingblade625

Yes guys, I use flex it spoons all the time an used them Saturday but no takers on it. He had what looked like a spoon that would flutter he was vertical jigging it an It looked to be 3" to 4" long an chrome. I thought someone may have an idea as to what it was. I know it was catching fish that would not hit a flex it spoon or any other spoon I dropped down.

Coenen

Yes guys, I use flex it spoons all the time an used them Saturday but no takers on it. He had what looked like a spoon that would flutter he was vertical jigging it an It looked to be 3" to 4" long an chrome. I thought someone may have an idea as to what it was. I know it was catching fish that would not hit a flex it spoon or any other spoon I dropped down.
Could've been something like a Johnson Shutter or a Nichols Mojo.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hopkins, Cotton Cordell, and Flex-its have all done well for me on bass, walleye, white bass, and other species, in roughly that order.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Could've been something like a Johnson Shutter or a Nichols Mojo.

I was thinking a Mojo too....I make the Do-It mold casting spoons........I have one mold that makes 4 different sizes. I have had good luck on them. I color them white or Green pumpkin. I need to get some Chartreuse powder to make some of them that.........Does not sound like he was using them though.
Did you happen to notice how he was working them? Many times just leaving it hanging there a few inches off the bottom will get them smashed. My luck is hit and miss for sure:D

slingblade625

It looked to be shiney chrome. An he was working it in short 18" jerks,Constantly except when a fish was on it. Which went on til he got tired of catching the same size an went looking to upgrade on size. (He left) fish biting. Wish I had just slid over closer an just ask but I didn't want to bother him while he was tournament fishing

61BelAir

I've never caught a fish on a spoon.....or any bass on a vertical presentation except once by accident while dropping my line straight down to test depth of a chalk pond. That being said I have to ask:

So did you go over there after he left and give them another try?

slingblade625

I had been their already, No takers. I had moved to bank to throw crankbaits, caught 5 before the day was done but he caught that many in less than 5 mins or so. An I dropped different spoons trying to get bit, then I move an he floats in an well you know how it went.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I have found is that a lift works better than a jerk or snap, and letting it flutter down completely slack is the key. Timing is everything, too. Pretty much 100% of the hits happen on the slack fall. You usually don't feel the hit, you know a fish is on it when the spoon doesn't hit the end of the line when it's supposed to.

Kestas69

Deep fish could be scattered all other the place, or concentrated in one particular spot. Fishing same area, or same spot-to different things.
In one area, Saturday I caught 20-30 bass. Fish was chasing small baitfish and hitting spoon all over the ditch. Came back to the same area on Sunday and caught fish only from one spot. Fish was concentrated around fallen tree next to road bed in the middle of the ditch and didn't move around at all.

Coenen

One thing I have found is that a lift works better than a jerk or snap, and letting it flutter down completely slack is the key.
Maybe that's it; for some reason I was thinking you really had to crank on it. Good info in that post.

slingblade625

Deep fish could be scattered all other the place, or concentrated in one particular spot. Fishing same area, or same spot-to different things.
In one area, Saturday I caught 20-30 bass. Fish was chasing small baitfish and hitting spoon all over the ditch. Came back to the same area on Sunday and caught fish only from one spot. Fish was concentrated around fallen tree next to road bed in the middle of the ditch and didn't move around at all.

Understood, been their done that!! What spoon were you using or lure I might ask?
I've sat on fish an caught bass, perch, catfish an also an ocassional carp, an white bass by the dozens (when I find them) but their was define toy something different about the spoon the man was using cause I sat all over the same spot,ditch/ Timberline as he was an no fish for me.

What's a mojo spoon?

slingblade625

Where do y'all get the mojo spoon? I'd like to try it! Don't think it is made to vertical jig but ill try it.

Any tackle stores around lanier/ Gainesville area have any they stock? Ill make a trip. Thanks

Coenen

Where do y'all get the mojo spoon? I'd like to try it! Don't think it is made to vertical jig but ill try it.

Any tackle stores around lanier/ Gainesville area have any they stock? Ill make a trip. Thanks
Tackle Warehouse for me. Best bet locally is probably Oakwood Bait and Tackle.