Walleye Trip 2 of the season 2/18

Cashvaluerecovery

This was a combo trip. Late saturday 430pm till dark, and again sunday morning dark 30 till noon. Carters lake, Ridgeway ramp.

It was overcast and light drizzle with no wind at 430pm est sat night and perfect if you want to chase a fish that doesnt like much light. Peddling the kayak into the lake there was once again bait everywhere only this time it was 1/2 inch shad being gorged on by mongo striper. They were literally slurping them off the surface like a bream does a cricket. No explosions.......just huge striper everywhere helping themselves to an endless buffet. I broke off a hook on a crappie jig to see if they would eat and I get 7 bites on 5 casts. Didnt want to hook one from the kayak as I was after the mythical walleye again.

Decided to troll fire tiger shad raps at 30 feet with a large weight and 3 feet of leader. Not much happening other than the usual pile of spots by accident. Then just before pitch dark one of the troll rods had the slightest of bends to it but no longer jiggling from a vibrating lure......figured must be a stick or leaf. Pulled up and it was a fish. No idea how long I pulled this fish along behind the boat. It made no real effort to make its presence known. Got it about half way up and realized this fish was heavy and not fighting.........had to be a walleye. Bingo # 2 for the season at 5 lb 3 oz.

Saturday morning from before light till noon. Tried everything on the planet and managed 26 more spots. Most on spoon when marking fish under bait piles 25ft to 55 ft deep. The Kayak ran out of cheeseburger power and I came home.

Goodluck out there.

KKrueger

Nice report. I tried Seed once early early. Want to get after them but headed down to fish PCB this weekend.

Good luck out there.

Cashvaluerecovery

Nice report. I tried Seed once early early. Want to get after them but headed down to fish PCB this weekend.

Good luck out there.

Pompano might have an early run with the warm weather, otherwise ask locals if and where they are finding squid. Ive got a house down there and that is about all that will be going on...........unless you know how to catch sheepshead off the jetties.

Goodluck and have fun.

jerdog101

Great job! The fish should be getting ready for the spawn with the next full moon. The pre-spawn is a good bite...most of my fish come 2 hours before dark, or first 2 hours of daylight. You did well by fishing in 30ft. or less....that is key until the water reaches 65F...then you need to fish the suspended fish over deep water. Keep fishing the crankbaits! Crazy colors rule.

Cashvaluerecovery

Great job! The fish should be getting ready for the spawn with the next full moon. The pre-spawn is a good bite...most of my fish come 2 hours before dark, or first 2 hours of daylight. You did well by fishing in 30ft. or less....that is key until the water reaches 65F...then you need to fish the suspended fish over deep water. Keep fishing the crankbaits! Crazy colors rule.

Thanks Jerdog. I feel like ive learned alot chasing these guys over the years.........well at least learned what doesnt work enough times that doing things different gets me at least one walleye most trips lol.

There still though is just no consistency what so ever. I still cant stop from thinking that catching 1 fish running the same baits in the same depth in the same area must mean that im doing something wrong to only find one fish. I know these things eat. Every single one of them is an absolute chunk belly wise. I study their stomachs and even that has NO consistency.

The 5lb 3oz had 7 shad from 1/2 inch to 3 inch. It also had a 5 inch lamprey in it. I didnt even know their were lampreys in carters lake. I have never seen one attached to a fish..........but this one had become dinner to a walleye.

All I can do is keep trying I reckon haha.

Cashvaluerecovery

Fisheries biologist would know more but I know walleye grow fast enough that a large percent of the fry being released by dnr are surviving. Likely because small walleye use structure to hide and don't move around a bunch.

Also without dnr assistance I believe the walleye won't make it on their own. They fan cast eggs and don't hang around to protect them like a spot does. So bass eating walleye fry or not, just the way spots breed vs walleye will always mean they will out compete or live. So long as blue back herring are present anyway.

KKrueger

Have you been back out at all? I considered heading to Seed yesterday evening and I am now kicking myself that I didn't.

I would think the next two weeks or so should be prime.

Cashvaluerecovery

Have you been back out at all? I considered heading to Seed yesterday evening and I am now kicking myself that I didn't.

I would think the next two weeks or so should be prime.

I skipped this last weekend with little ones softball practice and sunday being way to bright and windy to kayak for finicky fish. May try next weekend. Once they start spawning though I give up until april. Then its all night fishing until fall. I dont even bother trying during the day for them until about october.