Lanier Report 6/1/2018 w/pics (updated...again)

Scout'nStripers

I've been doing a little fishing over the past few weeks after a little lay-off with motor problems and getting our new lake house build going. Looks the lake is falling into the usual summer patterns....or should I say "rising" into the usual summer pattern....LOL

Right now a topwater bite is probably the best thing going but a fluke or Sebile is running a close second. The drop shot is kicking in and the fish are beginning to move out to the main lake humps for the summer. We've been running a lot of points and finding fish this week as well as a few offshore humps. Underwater humps that come up to 15-30 feet on the main lake or near the creek channels that hold structure are going to be your best bet for the next few months. You just need to do a little looking and graphing to find the ones that hold groups of fish. Another way to locate these fish is by sight. With the topwater action going good right now I keep my head on a swivel watching for areas of surfacing fish. Yesterday the water temps were very close to 80 and the lake is about 3 and half feet above full pool. We didn't fish above Browns Bridge but there wasn't a whole lot of debris below Browns yet. Gotta keep your eyes peeled though, there is a few big chucks here and there. Here's a few pics from the last couple trips out. The last pic is LJ doing an "on the water" maintenance call for me.

Attachments

• 20180523163315(2).jpg
    20180523163315(2).jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 152
  • 20180523163315(3).jpg
    20180523163315(3).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 150
  • ty5.jpg
    ty5.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 144
  • ty6.jpg
    ty6.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 147
  • ty7.jpg
    ty7.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 155
  • ty8.jpg
    ty8.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 163
  • ty4.jpg
    ty4.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 158
  • ty3.jpg
    ty3.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 148
  • ty2.jpg
    ty2.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 151
  • ty1.jpg
    ty1.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

littlejon

Nice catch! I'm finding the same patterns but I will go a few hours without a bite and then catch 10 in a hour, :huh: all quality fish though.

Who's the light weight on the deck. Reminds me of some of my Navy buddies. Keep him away from the brew-ski's. :flag:

Scout'nStripers

Nice catch! I'm finding the same patterns but I will go a few hours without a bite and then catch 10 in a hour, :huh: all quality fish though.

Who's the light weight on the deck. Reminds me of some of my Navy buddies. Keep him away from the brew-ski's. :flag:
LOL...Thanks littlejon. Ole LJ can't handle his Dew. He was just looking for a shady spot to pass out.:rofl:

Lanier Jim

I'm right here and I can read....just saying. Looking at it...might have been a Dew Drunk Day...I look like I'm in the fetal position :)

Scout'nStripers

I went back out yesterday afternoon and did a drop shot/topwater combo. I fished from the dam up to 6 mile and the debris wasn't bad. A few things floating on the south end but they are very scattered. Water temps are back up to around 80 and the water level is about 3.5 feet above full pool and dropping. Lots of water still flooding some trees on the shore but all of my fish came from 20 feet or more in depth. I ended up with about 10 fish with most being 2lbs and under but I did have a couple chunks. Here's a couple chunks from this afternoon. Also, I put in a little drop shot video from today. I was using 6lb test and a 3/8 ounce Skinny Bear weight.
20180604153808(1).jpg

Last edited:

ventilator

Nice Fish! I will down for a week with the kids starting saturday. First trip down from NC this year. I usually fish below Browns bridge as well. However, this time i rented a house just north of Browns , in Chestatee bay. How would you say the fishing is in that area right now? About the same as the lower lake?

Scout'nStripers

Nice Fish! I will down for a week with the kids starting saturday. First trip down from NC this year. I usually fish below Browns bridge as well. However, this time i rented a house just north of Browns , in Chestatee bay. How would you say the fishing is in that area right now? About the same as the lower lake?
I think the topwater bite is a little better the further south you go but there are plenty of fish up that way. You should contact Lanier Jim for a fishing trip while you're here. He lives up on the Chestatee Bay and specializes in that area. He can show you a few things that will definitely help with your fishing while you're here.

ventilator

Thanks bud. I had actually Pm'd him on FB last summer about a possible trip. Gonna see how things go the first couple of days. May hit him up early next week if things are slow for us. Yall have been catching some nice fish.

Cletus T.

Excellent report Jim……….you sure know those Lanier fish and how to catch them.

I fished one day last week after work from 6 until dark and I didn’t even get the first sniff……..it was frustrating but I know this high water is effecting the fishing but still………..not even a sniff or a swipe at my fluke????

Scout'nStripers

Excellent report Jim……….you sure know those Lanier fish and how to catch them.

I fished one day last week after work from 6 until dark and I didn’t even get the first sniff……..it was frustrating but I know this high water is effecting the fishing but still………..not even a sniff or a swipe at my fluke????
Thanks Cletus! Man that evening bite is a little tricky right now. It's been more of a "pop and drop" over structure in 20+ feet of water for me in the evenings lately.

Scout'nStripers

I took our builder and his son out this morning for a quick 2 hour run. It was all topwater and Sebile this morning. They both caught fish and they got some great video of the trip. After I dropped them off at their dock I hit one last point and it was a magic point. In less than an hour I popped up 2 limits. Nothing real big but a lot of 2-3lb fun this morning. I was back at the house by lunch. There is a awesome bite on Lanier right now and with the corps moving water 24/7 it's going to stay good for a while. Plenty of different ways to catch them.
IMAG0431.jpgIMAG0432.jpgIMAG0435.jpg

littleguy

I took our builder and his son out this morning for a quick 2 hour run. It was all topwater and Sebile this morning. They both caught fish and they got some great video of the trip. After I dropped them off at their dock I hit one last point and it was a magic point. In less than an hour I popped up 2 limits. Nothing real big but a lot of 2-3lb fun this morning. I was back at the house by lunch. There is a awesome bite on Lanier right now and with the corps moving water 24/7 it's going to stay good for a while. Plenty of different ways to catch them.
Who sells Sebiles around ATL? I haven't been able to find any.

Scout'nStripers

I was back out today from mid morning till mid afternoon. I coulda stayed home till after lunch. The bite really didn't start till after 1pm but it was on fire then. I left them biting and probably caught 20 or more fish today. It was a whack fest on topwater. Here's a few of the bigger fish.thursday2 (1).jpgthursday2 (2).jpgthursday3.jpgthursday4.jpg

Last edited: