hammerstones

Jimmypop

here are 4 flint nodules i find interesting. they show use marks on the edges. the smaller one has finger grooves for a better grip. all have a brown crust . the broke one shows the inside. they seem heavy for size. only ones i have see of this material.

Attachments

• 0612182204.jpg
    0612182204.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 61

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The one on the bottom right definitely seems to have some use wear. The odd thing is that a hard, slick flint nodule is the last type pof stone usually used for a hammerstone. Just from spending hundreds of hours using them myself, you want a softer, gritty stone for a hammerstone, at least for flintknapping.

Jimmypop

The one on the bottom right definitely seems to have some use wear. The odd thing is that a hard, slick flint nodule is the last type pof stone usually used for a hammerstone. Just from spending hundreds of hours using them myself, you want a softer, gritty stone for a hammerstone, at least for flintknapping.
the largest has pecking marks on the top and bottom of both sides, 4 areas of use. small one has 2 flakes removed for a perfect fit to use as a pecking or finishing stone.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Could have been used for the pecking stage of the process of making a celt or axe.