Turning a Remington "jam master" into a true Woodsmaster

7Mag Hunter

Great build !!!!...I love the 742s...I bought one at a Rod and Gun Club in Germany (Army) 1970 and still use it today.....Mine has never given me any jamming problems, and i even handload for it...Did put a Synthetic stock on it several years ago....

Can't wait to see how you build shoots !!!

WoodlandScout82

Great build !!!!...I love the 742s...I bought one at a Rod and Gun Club in Germany (Army) 1970 and still use it today.....Mine has never given me any jamming problems, and i even handload for it...Did put a Synthetic stock on it several years ago....

Can't wait to see how you build shoots !!!
The final pieces are in route as of today. A handmade leather Rhodesian sling and ammo cuff from Andys Leather.

roadkill

I love the 742. Best shooting rifle I ever owned. Never missed where I was aiming. I tend to jerk the trigger on a rifle, but never had that problem with my 742. Years ago hunting in TN, I had 2 doe an 1 buck tag to fill the last day of the season. A nice buck chased 12 does across an open field at 125 yards. I dropped the buck and 2 does, and they were running. I hit 2 of them in the heart, and missed the heart on the other one no more than an inch. Sweetest shooting rifle I ever owned. I just bought another like new one last week. Can't wait to shoot it.

cowhornedspike

My experience is that the long case rounds (.06) tend to jam while the .308 length does not. I shoot that gun in .308 and never have a problem. 2nd one I've owned in the carbine length barrel and would rather hunt with it that my BAR.

Nice work BTW.

Picked up a 750 this morning that someone had just traded in at my local gun store. Looks nearly mint but it did have a good bit of powder residue inside the action. It jammed a few times when I was trying it out but I think I left a little to much oil in the gas block? Will give it another try soon.

Have you had a chance to shoot your wifes rifle yet?

Ridge Rooster

Bill Mc

My 742 carbine (30-06) worked well. No jams but then it became very inaccurate.
So I retired it. Maybe someday I see just what has happened.

Now I use a Tikka in 6.5x55. Best rifle and chambering I've had.

cowhornedspike

My 742 carbine (30-06) worked well. No jams but then it became very inaccurate.
So I retired it. Maybe someday I see just what has happened.

Now I use a Tikka in 6.5x55. Best rifle and chambering I've had.

Check the barrel nut. Have seen them loosen up slightly and lose accuracy.

wvdawg

Staff member
I have hunted with a 742 in .308 for about 45 years now. Put a cheap $69 Tasco on it when new and it still works like a champ.