Me Check'um for Bear.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
One more note, I've never seen one of these before but I guess a bear will make a little bed on the ground similar to a deer.
I found this spot where the sticks and leaves have been raked away and were laying around the edge of a depression similar to a deer bed but much larger...
The two pictures were taken from opposite angles so the sticks in the foreground are in the background of the other picture. It's not quite as obvious in the photo as it was on the ground due to the lighting I guess.ezgif.com-resize (58).jpgezgif.com-resize (59).jpg

Notice the circular pattern of the sticks around the Edge from getting raked away.

The mtn man

Kyle, are you in Union County? I went to send you a PM and your info said Banks County. The tracks on the road were on Liberty Church Road, just off of Town Creek School Road. Behind my friends house who owns the Misty Mountain Cabins just down the road where I stay. They are trying to obtain permission for me to hunt that nuisance bear that keeps hitting their trash. There's a tiny little block of woods behind their house that he comes out of on a regular basis. Don't really know if I want to lock myself down on such a tiny spot, but they would appreciate it.
If that's your area, we need to have us a Union County BF get together similar to our PF get-togethers down here in the Burbs. I had lunch yesterday with TwinCedarGap and I've been talking with pig predator also about hooking up for lunch. Already had lunch with JBoggs...The Country Kitchen is pretty awesome!, but I'm sure there are plenty of good options.
Looking forward to a great season and meeting some of you guys...
Good luck to all this year.
From your description, you must be hunting in my yard. Those bears will be gone in a few weeks. Plenty around now though.

ripplerider

Three of my best friends live within 2 miles of that spot. They see bears regularly. I've had 2 hikers in the past 2 days tell me they saw bears climbing along the AT. There must be some acorns up high unless they were climbing wild cherries or maybe blackgums.

1eyefishing

Does anybody know if a bear would return to a bedding depression like the one above on a regular basis?
I didn't notice it when I took the picture, but now I keep staring at that 'shiny' spot on the overturned stump to the left. It looks like something has been rubbing on it.
I keep wondering about that.
I wish I would have dropped a GPS waypoint on the depression. It was in a huge expanse of similar habitat on the side of a high hill near the AT. Bear trails meandering everywhere through the fern ground cover...

twincedargap

Does anybody
I wish I would have dropped a GPS waypoint on the depression. r...
your photo should have the gps coordinates embedded. open the photo on your PC and look at the file details either w/photo viewer or with explorer. in my file photo viewer, it actually displays a map w/the spot marked, in the properties of the photo by right clicking it, you should see a Details tab, scroll down an it will indicate the gps coordinates at lat lon. If you don't have a PC access, text me the photo and I'll tell you the location and not reveal it.

Last edited:

1eyefishing

From my little bit of research, apparently bears do regularly use the same bed over and over until nearby food sources and travel patterns change.

From bear-tracker.com- "This is a bear bed that was located in a mixed forest composed of Douglas fir, tanoak, and redwood trees. This bed was located at the base of a large Douglas fir tree. Notice the bark and other materials in the flattened area to the right of the large tree. The large piles of scats were left by the bear as it regularly defecated in the same place each day. This is a common thing for bears to do near their beds. This bear bed was in use during early spring, when the only food available to the bears was grass and other plant material. These scats were all composed of grass and looked like horse scats. The large accumulation attests to how long this particular bear bed was in use. There was a regular trail coming up the mountain to this location from a grassy field below where this particular bear had been regularly feeding."

twincedargap

From my little bit of research, apparently bears do regularly use the same bed over and over until nearby food sources and travel patterns change.

From bear-tracker.com- "This is a bear bed that was located in a mixed forest composed of Douglas fir, tanoak, and redwood trees. This bed was located at the base of a large Douglas fir tree. Notice the bark and other materials in the flattened area to the right of the large tree. The large piles of scats were left by the bear as it regularly defecated in the same place each day. This is a common thing for bears to do near their beds. This bear bed was in use during early spring, when the only food available to the bears was grass and other plant material. These scats were all composed of grass and looked like horse scats. The large accumulation attests to how long this particular bear bed was in use. There was a regular trail coming up the mountain to this location from a grassy field below where this particular bear had been regularly feeding."
maybe put a trail camera on it to see how often its used, and by whom

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If you noticed where those tracks entered the road, you noticed there's probably 30 acres of cornfields down along the creek. There may be 8-10 bears working those fields on any given night. If the bed you found is near one of these fields, I'd hunt it. Otherwise, it's a total crapshoot trying to nail down a bear working such a large area.

Ghost G

I plan on hunting Saturday through Tuesday opening weekend. I refuse to drag a critter more than 10’, but if any of you guys need help tracking, skinning/quartering or packing out hit me up on my cell. Happy to help.

I'm on the same schedule Jbogg. Good luck to all!

Killer Kyle

Kyle, are you in Union County? I went to send you a PM and your info said Banks County. The tracks on the road were on Liberty Church Road, just off of Town Creek School Road. Behind my friends house who owns the Misty Mountain Cabins just down the road where I stay. They are trying to obtain permission for me to hunt that nuisance bear that keeps hitting their trash. There's a tiny little block of woods behind their house that he comes out of on a regular basis. Don't really know if I want to lock myself down on such a tiny spot, but they would appreciate it.
If that's your area, we need to have us a Union County BF get together similar to our PF get-togethers down here in the Burbs. I had lunch yesterday with TwinCedarGap and I've been talking with pig predator also about hooking up for lunch. Already had lunch with JBoggs...The Country Kitchen is pretty awesome!, but I'm sure there are plenty of good options.
Looking forward to a great season and meeting some of you guys...
Good luck to all this year.

You got me man! I thought I was good and knew right where that was, but I was wrong! I was thinking of a spot in Union County though! I am from Banks. From the foothills. Not the big hills! But I hunt Rabun, Towns, Union, and White counties. I'll also deer hunt on Lake Russell on the general hunt each year too.

1eyefishing

Good luck to all tomorrow, I'm prepping for the 5 a.m. alarm...

1eyefishing

Bear sign say...

Fuzz was here
when you weren't.
Now you are,
And I aren't!IMG_20180909_110052.jpg

We're definitely hunting in the sign. Saw plenty of chewed acorns and scat. We didn't see the bears, but they probably saw us.
East and southeast wind made it difficult with our planned approach to the big hill.
And oh yeah, the sun was in my eyes!
Those hills ate me up and wore me out again, but going back for more soon.