Rv heating help

toyota4x4h

I searched but didn't find what im looking for. Some background..my wife and I are gonna start to build on some family farmland here shortly. We have an older Chevy Winnebago rv that we use for camping trips. My thought is to take it to the farm and set it up and this will allow us to work on weekends and spend the night. But starting now the night will be chilly or downright cold in there lol. What are yalls recommendations on heat? It has no propane furnace and only the Coleman ac unit not both. I plan on taking a portable genny with us to plug the rv into. Will space heaters work? Also our 7 month son will be with us so he needs some heat. Thanks guys!

gtmcwhorter

Was gonna say kerosene until i saw the part about your baby. Probably electric space heaters. Maybe use a box fan to keep everything circulating. Keep doors closed and you should be good.

greg_n_clayton

I used one of those oil filled radiator type when I traveled for work as a Industrial construction superintendent for a number of years in 33' Airstream. I believe I would go ahead with temporary power. You are gona need it anyways.

toyota4x4h

I met with the engineer from power co last week he said they cant run temp unless I have a foundation started or partially up so we have to get started on the grading for all that. So my only options now are electrical or my mr buddy propane heater I use for hunting. Im just really iffy on any gas/propane stuff bec I just don't trust em enough to sleep with them going but that's just me. I do however have several small office style elec heaters. Ive read where they can be a fire hazard though in a rv.

Artfuldodger

I met with the engineer from power co last week he said they cant run temp unless I have a foundation started or partially up so we have to get started on the grading for all that. So my only options now are electrical or my mr buddy propane heater I use for hunting. Im just really iffy on any gas/propane stuff bec I just don't trust em enough to sleep with them going but that's just me. I do however have several small office style elec heaters. Ive read where they can be a fire hazard though in a rv.

I don't see where the small ceramic electric space heaters would be a fire hazard. We had one for our pop-up and it had a plastic grill. Those are a bit safer around children.
I'm not sure if one of those would be enough heat for an rv. Might need two which would be around 26 amps.

Wake up and cook a big breakfast that requires using all the burners!

transfixer

I use a buddy heater with a propane hose run through the wall of my camper to an outside 20lb tank, I crack a couple of upper windows just to be safe, but I've been using it for a couple years with no issues, no headache in the morning, no problems, I also have a carbon monoxide detector mounted on the wall about 4ft off the floor just for peace of mind . I would probably be a little hesitant though since you will have the baby with you, although if you have a couple of carbon monoxide detectors and crack a couple of windows I believe it would be fine ?

toyota4x4h

I have a detector plus the rv is so old I doubt we’d have to crack windows prolly has a few natural draft vents ha! Thanks for all the info and help. I was leaning towards elec heater but I had read an article or two saying they’ll burn the recepticals and cause a fire. I knew there’d be experts here!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Some solar panels,a battery and a 12 volt heating pad will keep the bed warm.

toyota4x4h

Solar panels was an option when we first bought the rv but have since steered away from them. We are on shore power 95% of the time when we use it. Just don't have it up at the farm yet. I also got us a sun heated water bag shower I hope it works decent nothing worse than a cold shower imo.

toyota4x4h

I have the
One of these from Northern tool, I have one of these in my camper with a BBQ grill type tank. Will keep you warm, I never have to turn mine up more than half way on the thermostat to keep warm. One tank lasts me the whole deer season too.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200664866_200664866

Yeah like I said I have a Mr Buddy one I use hunting that may be an option just kinda iffy about propane in there with our baby. Not for fire hazards but for I don't wanna go to sleep and not wake up lol. Ive saw where ppl sit the main tank otside and run the hose inside to the heater.

Whichever yall use how do yall set them up? on a table in the floor? Setup with a fan behind them? I wanna get maximum effect if we go electric.

Cmp1

BANNED
I have the

Yeah like I said I have a Mr Buddy one I use hunting that may be an option just kinda iffy about propane in there with our baby. Not for fire hazards but for I don't wanna go to sleep and not wake up lol. Ive saw where ppl sit the main tank otside and run the hose inside to the heater.

Whichever yall use how do yall set them up? on a table in the floor? Setup with a fan behind them? I wanna get maximum effect if we go electric.
The ceramic one we have is temp controlled or high or low Fan,knock over protected,,,,

Buck70

I had a 26 ft travel travel set up at a hunting for over 8 years that only had an electric space heater for heat. I have slept in it when it was 16 degrees and it was quite warm.

toyota4x4h

Shoot yeah thanks for all the help fellas. I’m working on tuning up the 5500 generator this week and I’ll test it out here at home before we head up this weekend.

Lukikus2

I don't see where the small ceramic electric space heaters would be a fire hazard. We had one for our pop-up and it had a plastic grill. Those are a bit safer around children.
I'm not sure if one of those would be enough heat for an rv. Might need two which would be around 26 amps.

Wake up and cook a big breakfast that requires using all the burners!

Plenty for a Rv and very safe. Most have temperature settings on them. Breakfast is always good!

SouthPaw Draw

GONetwork, GWF and NTWF Member
The heater I have from Northern Tool has a low oxygen/Co2 sensor to shut it off if detected. I have a 10 Ft. propane hose with a inline regulator that I run outside of the camper to the tanks. I don't recommend having the tank inside the camper.

Cmp1

BANNED
The heater I have from Northern Tool has a low oxygen/Co2 sensor to shut it off if detected. I have a 10 Ft. propane hose with a inline regulator that I run outside of the camper to the tanks. I don't recommend having the tank inside the camper.
Do you ever get smells from it?the ones I've been around always smelled of propane,,,,wouldn't be too bad in a larger area,,,,