USFS bear

GAbullHunter

Nice one congrats on the bear! Sure be some good eats for Thanksgiving.. Story play: Someone say roast beef(bear) ; can I get your recipe that was the best ever!! ( oh boy I could hear some my city folk family flipping if they found they ate bear an didn't know it...? :rofl::rofl: so gotta do this one day...

fiddlinduke

I went in at daybreak and hiked about halfway up a ridge on an old roadbed. I sat overlooking a draw until about 9:00 and decided to go further up the ridge to a bench. I was paralleling a small creek draw picking my way up the ridge when I saw him about 50 yards to my right heading towards me. He walked out on a leaning tree log then crossed in front of me at 20 yards I shot him with my Tikka 30-06. he stumbled and started running so I shot him again. He fell in the creek draw. It was an easy downhill drag about 300 yards to the truck. 3 year old. 150 lbs

GAbullHunter

[QUOTE="goshenmountainman

This is my sons first bear, it was caught feeding in the buck forage oats and clover plot.

Congrats Goshen Jr!! Nice one!!

FMBear

I went in at daybreak and hiked about halfway up a ridge on an old roadbed. I sat overlooking a draw until about 9:00 and decided to go further up the ridge to a bench. I was paralleling a small creek draw picking my way up the ridge when I saw him about 50 yards to my right heading towards me. He walked out on a leaning tree log then crossed in front of me at 20 yards I shot him with my Tikka 30-06. he stumbled and started running so I shot him again. He fell in the creek draw. It was an easy downhill drag about 300 yards to the truck. 3 year old. 150 lbs

Got to love a proper drag after a successful mountain hunt!

Killer Kyle

Kyle, thanks to you and others on this forum for all the great posts that helped both in tactics and getting me fired up about bears. Now dang it I'm hooked on bear hunting and I have a big taxidermy bill ahead!?

To me, its fun to talk bears, bear hunting, and bear cooking with guys who have similar interests. I really enjoy this forum and the old porch dogs who tend to hang around here. A lot of great guys, minds, and hunters on this forum, and it keeps me learning all the time!
I hunted this last Chattahoochee WMA hunt. Had a bear at 20 yards two days ago and couldn't pull the trigger. I was hunting the thick and the bear was behind a wall of saplings and twigs, and I never could pull off a shot. Go figure! Oh well, I'll be back at it again!
Buckman knows this to be true about me: I will let bear hunting nearly derail my deer hunting nearly every single year. The rut will be approaching or in full swing late in the season, and I seem to always find a bear to hunt and will hunt it like a dog and nearly miss the whole rut.
Last year I found a bear to hunt in late October in the NF in Union County. I hunted him 4 times, and saw him 4 times, always in the thick or out of range. I pulled the trigger on him the 4th time, broadside at 20 yards, and my ML misfired. Talk about heartache!
All that said, try to make bears your early season game and bucks your late season game. Try not to blow the whole rut chasing yogi like I usually seem to do!
Again, congrats on your bear. I hope you've been able to enjoy some good eats!

fiddlinduke

To me, its fun to talk bears, bear hunting, and bear cooking with guys who have similar interests. I really enjoy this forum and the old porch dogs who tend to hang around here. A lot of great guys, minds, and hunters on this forum, and it keeps me learning all the time!
I hunted this last Chattahoochee WMA hunt. Had a bear at 20 yards two days ago and couldn't pull the trigger. I was hunting the thick and the bear was behind a wall of saplings and twigs, and I never could pull off a shot. Go figure! Oh well, I'll be back at it again!
Buckman knows this to be true about me: I will let bear hunting nearly derail my deer hunting nearly every single year. The rut will be approaching or in full swing late in the season, and I seem to always find a bear to hunt and will hunt it like a dog and nearly miss the whole rut.
Last year I found a bear to hunt in late October in the NF in Union County. I hunted him 4 times, and saw him 4 times, always in the thick or out of range. I pulled the trigger on him the 4th time, broadside at 20 yards, and my ML misfired. Talk about heartache!
All that said, try to make bears your early season game and bucks your late season game. Try not to blow the whole rut chasing yogi like I usually seem to do!
Again, congrats on your bear. I hope you've been able to enjoy some good eats!
I did the opposite. I bucked out on nov 5 the first day of 3 weeks vacation so I made getting a bear my goal. Next year???? See what deer season brings...

Ghost G

Wow, nice job guys! Congrats fiddlin and goshen's son and cousin. Looks like some nice bears!

Rabun

Congratulations bear killers! Glad to see so many hitting the ground. Need to repeat every year for the foreseeable future(y)