Atv on wma roads

PappyHoel

Didn’t read all but it’s my understanding that ga does not register atvs anymore. They used to in the 90s and early 2000. My friend had his registered and we drove all around coopers creek fishing.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Like I said.... Doesn't really make a difference to me. I'm not jumping through those hoops. But I bet you the state has some way to register an atv.....if you go and look at the way the law is worded its like they were setting it up to be possible for the person who wouldn't mind jumping thru those hoops to make it happen

280bst

The rules read a vehicle has to be registered to ride on a WMA bunch of folks got tags for their ATV boom they were every where. Think the very next year no tags for ATV's which meant none on WMA's. I understand the reasoning myself I know what they do to hunting clubs most people wouldn't want a WMA criss crossed with atv ruts. This happened 25/30 years ago. Think somebody said you're just supposed to know it. It is in the not much read Reg.book

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Can you just picture that you could register one for WMA s !
How many would be out there.
The nonsense that would come with it.

That's the main reason a lot of National Forest Roads are closed now is the "jeepers" can't seem to stay on the roads and not destroy things. ATV's have no place on WMA's IMO and like has been said you allow one and the next thing you know it's a motocross track. The easiest thing to do is buy a street legal dual sport and then they can't say a word to you. I turkey hunt off of my KLR 650 a bunch in the late season when it's not so cold.

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
The easiest thing to do is buy a street legal dual sport and then they can't say a word to you. I turkey hunt off of my KLR 650 a bunch in the late season when it's not so cold.

Never leaving the roads I assume? Why not just use a truck?
I wouldn't want to leave a motor bike sitting on the side of the road out in the woods while I was hunting. Might not be there when I got back.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Never leaving the roads I assume? Why not just use a truck?
I wouldn't want to leave a motor bike sitting on the side of the road out in the woods while I was hunting. Might not be there when I got back.

I can cover 4 times the ground on National Forest roads as I can in a truck. I carry a locking cable and lock it to a tree and yes stay on the roads.

35 Whelen

WMA ACTIVITIES

OPERATING MOTOR VEHICLES AND ATVS

All motor vehicles are restricted to improved roads open for vehicular access. ATVs may only be operated on open improved roads within WMAs during the period between 2 hours before sunrise and 2 hours after sunset one day prior to and during big game, small game, and hog only hunts by hunters actively participating in the hunt (except where otherwise specified). However, on National Forest Lands, including WMAs on the National Forest, ATVs are restricted to designated trails unless posted otherwise.

“Improved Roads” are roads that receive maintenance for the purpose of public access, and “Open Roads” are roads not closed with a gate, sign, earthen berm or similar device intended to prevent vehicular access. Motor vehicles (including ATVs, dirt bikes, utility vehicles, golf carts, and other off-road vehicles) must meet applicable safety, licensing, insurance and registration requirements for use on public roads. Vehicle and ATV operators must be at least 16 years old. Roads may be closed at the discretion of DNR. Vehicles may not be parked in such a way as to block an open or closed roadway.

Unicoidawg

Staff member
Really? Are there roads open to a dual sport that aren't open to a truck?

No, I stay on legal roads and do what I call trolling. I stop in spots along the roads and call and go after them from there. And no you can't cover the same amount of ground in a truck as a motorcycle. I can go across one of the popular roads up here that'll take 2hrs by truck and I can hit the same spots and do it in 45mins. I put a lot of miles on my bike turkey hunting each spring.

Attachments

• klrturkey.jpg
    klrturkey.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 60

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
No, I stay on legal roads and do what I call trolling. I stop in spots along the roads and call and go after them from there. And no you can't cover the same amount of ground in a truck as a motorcycle. I can go across one of the popular roads up here that'll take 2hrs by truck and I can hit the same spots and do it in 45mins. I put a lot of miles on my bike turkey hunting each spring.

10-4. I gotcha.

Pineyrooter

You can use ATV's on most if not all WMA's excluding those on National Forest lands during small and big game season as long as you stay on improved/maintained roads. Use on National Forest WMA's says restricted to designated trails unless otherwise posted. Used to be during Deer Hunts only. Basically, anywhere you can drive a vehicle. Georgia does not register ATV's. Page 40 of the Georgia DNR Hunting Regulations.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You can use ATV's on most if not all WMA's during small and big game season as long as you stay on improved/maintained roads. Used to be during Deer Hunts only. Basically, anywhere you can drive a vehicle. Georgia does not register ATV's.

how you figure, Kemosabie?

Unicoidawg

Staff member
You can use ATV's on most if not all WMA's during small and big game season as long as you stay on improved/maintained roads. Used to be during Deer Hunts only. Basically, anywhere you can drive a vehicle. Georgia does not register ATV's.

Lol.... no you can't. You try that up here and see how fast you get a visit from green jeans or even worse Federal green jeans.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
See post #30. That is straight out of the regulations....

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

Actually he’s completely correct.
The problem lies with getting it tagged and blinkers.
So yeah you can use an atv IF you get it TAGGED, insured and have blinkers on it. Thus any enduro can be legalized to use.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I think I will just put a safety triangle on the back of my tractor and use it to cruise the WMA. ?