The smells of our youth?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
you'd break off the bloom and pull the suckers then pour this vile oily mess down the stalk from a gallon jug....had a stinky chemical smell.....

I suckered more tobacco than I`d like to remember, and we did it the same way, but the sucker control we used was a white granular. After suckered it I`d grab a handful out of the bucket and drop it on the fresh break and down the stalk.

I never did like to sucker baccer. Them rows went on forever.

lonewolf247

Red Stick, I'm quite familiar with most of those scents. Not necessarily the Community Coffee plant, but that particular brand brewing or having a hot cup of it.

I can remember the smells of the Bayous and Marshes early in the mornin at daybreak going fishing.

NOLA for me, lonewolf.

I love the smell of the marshes, fishing in Port Fourchon at daybreak, or night fishing in Grand Isle as well.

I’m south of Baton Rouge.....

oldguy

Juicy Fruit gum and 6-12 insect repellent.
Our grandmother would call us up out of the yard, put 6-12 on our faces to keep the gnats away (pink-eye), and put a stick of Juicy Fruit in our mouths.
Oh yeah, the smell of rain water pouring out of the gutter with no downspout and Ivory soap. My twin brother and I thought that was the best way to take a bath!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
6 12 insect repellent. That was the first bug runner my 2 cousins and I had ever heard of. We read the directions on the bottle and came to a mighty conclusion. We soused down with that stuff and with all the confidence in the world we attacked that big red wasp nest that we had wanted for bream bait all summer. We were gonna show those bad boys that we had armor and were stingproof.

That was the summer event that left a lasting impression on us boys, and we learned that false advertisement would be commonplace for the rest of our lives.

Artfuldodger

Marlboro Light's lit with a zippo lighter......MD20/20.......smoking tires from burnouts.....

I didn't smoke but been around enough Zippos to know that smell. I did have a few Scripto Vu-Lighters with dice and fishing flies in them. They were fun to play with.

Reactions: Dub

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
6 12 insect repellent. That was the first bug runner my 2 cousins and I had ever heard of. We read the directions on the bottle and came to a mighty conclusion. We soused down with that stuff and with all the confidence in the world we attacked that big red wasp nest that we had wanted for bream bait all summer. We were gonna show those bad boys that we had armor and were stingproof.

That was the summer event that left a lasting impression on us boys, and we learned that false advertisement would be commonplace for the rest of our lives.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Those aren't tears of joy Nic, you just brought up a repressed memory of me and my brother think'n (and do'n) the same thing.
Just think what the kids of today would think of those directions.

Artfuldodger

Juicy Fruit gum and 6-12 insect repellent.
Our grandmother would call us up out of the yard, put 6-12 on our faces to keep the gnats away (pink-eye), and put a stick of Juicy Fruit in our mouths.
Oh yeah, the smell of rain water pouring out of the gutter with no downspout and Ivory soap. My twin brother and I thought that was the best way to take a bath!

Yep Mom told us if we didn't let her put it on us to keep the gnats away, we'd get pink eye. I still say oil of citronella works better for gnats.

Redbow

The smell of kerosene when Grandma lit her wood burning stove..
tobacco curing on the heavy night air..
the old Mule stable.
The smell of a rainstorm just as it first started to rain on a summer afternoon..
Cracklings cooking in the wash pot after a Hog killing..
Sweet potatoes baking in Grandma's old wood stove oven.
The smell of seasoned oak wood as it burned in our wood heater..
The smell of the old farm Dog when he came to greet us after a hard days work in the fields.
Salted down hams and shoulders hanging in Grandpa's barn smelled so good, and that meat was good indeed..
The smell of tobacco gum being washed off your hands by lye soap...
Honeysuckle in the spring.
The smell of Grandpa's old '50 Ford when he raised the hood to check the oil in the old flathead engine...
And the smell the old Mule put out on a cool morning while riding on the front of a tobacco truck headed for the field, phewwwwwww....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

:rofl:

And speaking of waspers and smells, those wasper grubs had a distinct, sweet smell when you stuck a hook in 'em. We used to use them a lot for bream and trout.

JohnnyWalker

Years ago in upstate New York I drove past a Concord Grape orchard that was ready for harvest. The aroma was like opening a jar of Welch's Grape Jelly, only much more aromatic and sweet. An aroma I haven't smelled in a long long time is wild sassafras.

Jack Ryan

Gasoline, plastic model glue, cigarettes, cut grass and cut wild onions in the yard, swimming pools, the paper mill in a town we visited some times, farmer's perfume.

Use to be the farm animals live in a field instead of all caged in a barn. Everytime we drove past on of those particularly stinky livestock yards, dad would always say "farmers perfume" and we'd all laugh. He'd call any cow laying down "ground beef" to.

Bactine, clorox, Vix Vapo Rub.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
We use to throw dirt clods at the wasper nest around the barn then slip in and grab the nest once it was on the ground. We used them for bream and catfish. We also hung a dead possum or cats in a tree on the river and caught bream and catfish with the mealworms from around the barn then use that bait for the fish that fed on the droppings from the critters hanging. Don’t do that no more.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Silage fermenting in a silo.

Patriot44

Banned
I was in Louisiana back in February 2009, Valentine morning to be exact, and while walking to my car from the Holiday Inn "motel" in Gonzales, I got a wiff of something that took me back to 1984. Not sure to this day what it was but I knew then and I know now that I have never caught a wiff of anything like it before or since.

I suspect that it had something to do with black dirt, mud, swamps and a whole lot more.

I smiled that entire day!

bullgator

Paper mills remind me of my dad. He worked at Buckeye Paper mill for 17 years & was working there when he died at 39. I was 5 when he passed.
I remember his clothes smelled like a paper mill when he would come home from work.

Every time I go through the town where that mill is I smell it & think of him.
If it’s the one on Hwy 19 south of Perry, I know that smell well. When I first started hunting out by the Econfina we would pass that mill about 9 pm. Between the mill and the cool air, it symbolized hunt camp was only a short drive away.

sinclair1

I loved the burnt cox car fuel smell. Probably have to be older than 45 to remember that. Regular nitro cars didn't smell the same.