New Hunting Boot Suggestions

catch22

Figured this was a good place for this question. Im in need of some new hunting boots. I absolutely love the ones I have, but they are worn slap out and they dont make the model any longer. These boots would be used for deer hunting. Not long hiking excursions. To the deer stand and back.

1. I dont want rubber knee boots
2. Im not looking for snake boots
3. I want something 6"-9" in height
4. I want some insulation 400-600 grams
5. I want a lightweight boot thats comfortable and doesnt feel like a clod hopper.
6. I want them to be waterproof

Any thoughts or suggestions

280 Man

Banned
Budget???

I personally like Danner Pronghorns. I have wore these boots for years and have never had an issue with any pair Ive had.. You can get them from uninsulated to 400-1000 grams of insulation. They have Gore-Tex as well.

Last edited:

Cmp1

BANNED
I recently got a new pair of Rocky's winter boots,,,,1000 gram thinsulate,you wouldn't need that much,but up here,yeah,,,,really lightweight,comfortable,waterproof,,,,and definitely warm,,,,

catch22

Budget???

I personally like Danner Pronghorns. I have wore these boots for years and have never had an issue with any pair Ive had.. You can get them from uninsulated to 400-1000 grams of insulation. They have Gore-Tex as well.

Id like to stay under $150......I have some gift certificates to Bass Pro and Academy so I have been looking there mostly

280 Man

Banned
Id like to stay under $150......I have some gift certificates to Bass Pro and Academy so I have been looking there mostly

Danners will cost you a little more than that unless you can find some "clarance" sale..Good luck with your search

crucible02

I’ll second Danner Pronghorns. I got mine on Amazon last year for $125 brand new. I got the 400 gram version. If you can wait, keep watching them on Amazon because the prices go up and down.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
I had a pair of Danner Pronghorns that lasted me 7 or 8 hunting seasons until they finally started to leak. I still wear them as a work boot where I know I won't encounter water. They are great boots.

Personally, I vowed long ago to never spend a dime on any boot Rocky makes.

I also own Danner Pronghorns (middle) and like them. I also like the rubber bottom Lacrosse boots I picked up a few years ago (left) and they are plenty comfortable for walking moderate distances. They are insulated and waterproof. They are NOT Pac boots, they are like the LL Bean Maine hunting boots.

My absolute favorite boots are the Salomons (right) I picked up this year. They are no less than awesome. Mine are only 200gr, but are quite good in moderate temps.

As an all around boot, with no long hikes involved, it's tough to beat the Lacrosse boots, IMO.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

0109191035a-1.jpg

Budget???

I just bought a pair and love them.

gtb3440

I've had a pair of Rocky Bearclaws, 1400 grams, for over 12 years. Bought the claw bottoms and extra thinsulate because I hunted back east in the cold and snow before moving south. A little heavy but I don't have to trek far in the woods to hunt, warm when it's cool in the mornings and waterproof.

Ruger15

Schnee’s beartooth boots. Pricey but sooooo comfortable or I wear my Georgia boots pull ons are the best

HIGH COUNTRY

400 gram Danners are warmer than most 400 gram, my favorite boots ever - and I have and I had lots of boots...

I would like some uninsulated Danners and possibly 800 gram ones also, but those would not be used much for south georgia...

Got mine for $89 when Gander went out of business.

Buckman18

I wear Irish Setters. I’ve had great luck with them for over 15 years.

Mark K

Banned
Out of all the boots mentioned so far, I haven’t had any make it a season without leaking. And I mean a turkey season. All are fine for crossing a creek or stepping in a mud puddle, but walk a mile or two through dew covered grass and they all leak.
I have the Danner Sharptails snakeboots and they have made it so far. My last pair lasted 5-6 years before leaking and then they discontinued them, so I tried all the others. They recently started production back on the Sharptails and so far so good.

Esau

Bean boots from LL Bean. Good boots, good price, lifetime guarantee. You can get them pretty much any way you want them from no insulation to heavy insulation.