CARP FISHING ?

LTZ25

I went to a pay lake Monday with some experienced friends and we had a blast . I learned that I had no clue how to catch them but I caught on and plan on trying it in the cove at Sinclair when I don't want to go out after bass . We didn't get into the gambling but there's more money to be won by carp fishing than bass and you don't need a boat .

Coenen

I've had some success in the spring time chumming them up with corn, and catching them on light tackle with the same. They are a lot of fun to catch!

They're common, accessible, get big, and fight hard. That should tick all of the boxes for most recreational anglers. I think they're a good species to learn with as well, no one laments losing a 5lb carp the way the might a nice bass!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I went to a pay lake Monday with some experienced friends and we had a blast . I learned that I had no clue how to catch them but I caught on and plan on trying it in the cove at Sinclair when I don't want to go out after bass . We didn't get into the gambling but there's more money to be won by carp fishing than bass and you don't need a boat .
If you REALLY look in to it, there are a LOT of trophy carp touneys around that pay well. Might not be FLW well, but it don't cost as much to fish.... and it's SO much funner.

Last edited:

Killdee

I grew up fishing jackpot lakes in the summer in my teenage years. A laidback fun way to hang out. Some lakes are open 24 hours on the weekends and some pretty big jackpots. Demooneys lake may still be in business.
We also carp fished rivers and lakes camping out. Had a blast.
There’s guys now that fly fish for carp in the hooch and others hang out and carp fish at little river.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I grew up fishing jackpot lakes in the summer in my teenage years. A laidback fun way to hang out. Some lakes are open 24 hours on the weekends and some pretty big jackpots. Demooneys lake may still be in business.
We also carp fished rivers and lakes camping out. Had a blast.
There’s guys now that fly fish for carp in the hooch and others hang out and carp fish at little river.
Those were some hard core guys at Demooneys on tourney nights back in the day, I hadn't thought of that place in years, till I read this thread.

j_seph

Rice and Ketchup, it works

Those boys have it down to an art, there is a lot more to it than being able to make a bait. I have seen some of them pack a bait and sling that stuff for a country mile.

Teh Wicked

I got a great spot in the Hooch just north of Lanier that is always full of nice ones. I had a monster on the hook last year and it broke me off, easily 20+lb carp.

I will be going back this spring and see how much damage I can do on them.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Y'all want a REAL fight... make a hand line and "sneak" down to the pond between Six Flags and the Hooch. Not sure about now, but there used to be some sho nuff monsters in there. Nearly had my arm jurked off there once.

LTZ25

Demooneys is where I went , guy fishing next to us said he’s collected $40,000 in last three years . I know he’s paid in a lot , I’m just saying.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Demooneys is where I went , guy fishing next to us said he’s collected $40,000 in last three years . I know he’s paid in a lot , I’m just saying.
$13,000 a year tax free ain't chicken feed. It's not $125,000 per pay out that B.A.S.S. or the others have, but it don't cost you what it cost them to start out either. And it doesn't take YEARS to get there.

LTZ25

I have seem his work and he’s a good carp man , but I would not be a good fit for his canoe . I’m still a hard core artificial only bass nut but I’m taking up this carp fishing as another way to waist time at home and the cove on Sinclair. Went to BPS today and bought 2 catfish combos for $35.00 each , 2 piece spinning 9 foot and even have 20 lb cheap line on reels , i can change line but don’t see how they can sell those combos that cheap. I’ve got some bass lures that almost cost that much .

Killdee

Caught one on a fly rod while wading in a small creek a couple of years ago.
Now THAT was a fight!
The hooch guys are sight fishing for carp out of boats like bone fishermen do. Not sure what kind of flies they use but I can see this being a blast.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Ive fished many carp tourneys over the years. Won my first one at 9yrs old. It's the only fishing My dad did so i grew up on a carp lake

LTZ25

Back in the late 1950’s I remember my friends dads fishing carp tournaments ,
When did bass weekend tournaments get going ?