something issued by the state or
fed with my current address on it.

Went home and got some stuff from
Social Security with current address
and that was when she ran it and
was denied. So, put SS number on
Form and re-ran it. Still came back
denied.

Same store. I do a lot of business there.
(everyone there knows me)

Owner asked me if I were a Jr. or Sr.
and I told him NO.

He said it would probably be a
nightmare to get it straightened out.

Went ahead and filled out the dispute
form on the FBI page. Waiting on an
e-mail and a postal copy to find out
what's up.

Anyone ever had this happen?

How did you get it resolved.

I've had a valid, uninterrupted
carry license almost 20 years..

Katalee

If you used your carry license as your background check it should not even have needed to be called in. Did you offer your Carry License to them as a background check. I always use it instead of a Driver's license for ID when purchasing a firearm'.

Big7

The Oracle
If you used your carry license as your background check it should not even have needed to be called in. Did you offer your Carry License to them as a background check. I always use it instead of a Driver's license for ID when purchasing a firearm'.

Yes. But they didn't copy it but I did
show it to them.
(at least I don't think they sent it in)

Like I said, I do business with them
a lot. No problems until today.

Big7

The Oracle
Denied or delayed? Never been denied and not sure what the law says about denial but with delay you can return after 3 days (on 4th day) and pick up your firearm.

Denied.. That's what's got me dumbfounded.
I haven't even had a speeding ticket in
over 10 years.

Robert28

Did they try doing it online? My ffl never even picks up the phone, just does it online after I fill out the 4473. Before I can get my license back in my wallet it's accepted and I'm on my way.

Robert28

i'm still trying to figure out why it was called in. If you have a permit and DL and they wrote that on your form...who do they need to call? Done deal
More and more shops are doing that now. They claim your record isn't up to date even with a carry permit and you could have committed a crime but still be carrying a valid permit.

ryanh487

Buy the gun somewhere that doesn't do a nonsense check and waste your time. You have a GWL. You get one background check every 5 years and that is one 5 years too often. Go to a gun store that actually believes in your 2A rights instead of just your wallet.

Jester896

Senior Clown
i just got a text message back from where I do all of my transfers. He files my form after completion, doesn't need to call anyone.

280 Man

Banned
If your DL didn't have the right address then neither would your CWP. Should have got the address thing straightened out first before trying to buy a firearm.

I can see where this a red flag to the business. I'm not playing the devils advocate here, but just because you have done business at that place over the years that store really doesn't know you and will not take the liability if things are not the way they should be.

Big7

The Oracle
A long shot here, but with the high tech world we live in and the scum that walk the earth, has your identity been stolen or compromised?

The owner of the store told me that
was a possibility.

hdgapeach

The owner of the store told me that
was a possibility.

BIG possibility. That section of the Fed Government is heavily affected by the non-essential shutdown thing. You're the first I've heard of that's experienced the "denied" thing. I'll stop in my local shop I frequent and ask them if they are experiencing an increase in questionable "denied" results. I'll report back with the findings.

treemanjohn

Banned
A lot of stores still do a background check with a permit.

Your address is not run through NICS. Not having a match is up to the store to check

They also have to enter your permit information on the 4473 if they use it in lieu of a background check. MAYBE they forgot you had one

There's no requirement to photo copy your DL or carry permit

Big7

The Oracle
If your DL didn't have the right address then neither would your CWP. Should have got the address thing straightened out first before trying to buy a firearm

I can see where this a red flag to the business. I'm not playing the devils advocate here, but just because you have done business at that place over the years that store really doesn't know you and will not take the liability if things are not the way they should be.

That's probably the problem.
I've sold a house, put my address
at my Mom's house so I wouldn't
have to have emissions test on
my truck and moved to another
County with my care giver and
changed it to that address so
I wouldn't miss any mail from
Social Security.

That still doesn't explain buying
the SR-22 a month or so with
the same ID.

I'll just keep checking my e-mail
and mail box to see what they
say is the problem.

Thanks for all the help guys!

killerv

get your address updated on your drivers license.....seen this before. Address on your permit doesn't matter, as long as its Ga.

I'd shop somewhere else if they are calling in background checks on someone with a carry permit

Last edited:

Hillbilly stalker

In SC you have 10 days to update the address on your DL. It saves everyone a lot of time and hassle . A lot of people don't for different reasons, often to be elusive. That causes people a problem when it's a honest mistake. Hope you get it straightened out. Don't they have to give you a reason for the denial ?