2019 Oglethorpe County

transfixer

I don't know about the rest of ya'll, but I'm not ready to quit on this season yet,,, two weekends left, a combination of loggers tearing up our main access rd and all the rain we've had since Thanksgiving has kept me from going in Dec, I'm hoping to go this weekend, at least for a little while, this constant rain has me in a really bad mood ! I need a day or two in the woods, bad ! but realistically the sun needs to come out a couple of days to dry the road out some, otherwise I might have to call someone to come pull me out !

transfixer

Thanks Tod, I used to like muddin when I was younger, now I hate having to clean the truck up, and up there its not just the red muc, its that's slick gray mud about half the time,,

That is a sho nuff hoss right there ! I've had one on camera not quite that big a few times this season, but haven't seen him in the daylight.

Buford_Dawg

Made it down to camp this weekend. Somewhat windy but thankfully no rain. I saw several deer in Saturday PM hunt and several this AM while exiting the woods. All Does. Was looking more for hogs than deer so didnt pull the trigger. We had one doe shot at from the hunters in our camp, but no hit from what the young hunter and his dad could find. We actually had a large number of hunters on our SC property, guys trying for one doe before year end.

transfixer

I didn't go this weekend, the road into our place needed to dry out two or three days before I try it, was hoping for next weekend, but now the forecast says rain AGAIN next sat and sun ! :mad: So I'm going to see if I can skip a couple days work this week, my luck I'll be slammed with work ,,, :rolleyes: latter half of this season has been a washout, both literally and figuratively

Steven037

Missed this weekend but going out next weekend. Looks like it may rain but we’ve got enclosed blinds for every plot. After three does and a nice buck and a pig my freezer is full but I’ll be out there next weekend. Wouldn’t mind another pig or a fat doe.

Arrow3

I'm ready to small game hunt until turkey season starts. Doesn't look like the ducks are ever gonna show up. I haven't even killed a duck. Only been once and didnt see any. Not getting out of bed to chase 2 or 3 wood ducks.

transfixer

Going to camp tomorrow, but I'll have to leave early Saturday morning before the rain gets going good, or else I'll have a time getting out, but I want to get at least one more hunt in, and I need to check on camp and refill a couple feeders, I'm sure the deer will appreciate it in the next month or so, food usually gets scarce about now.

Buford_Dawg

What type of feeder you using Fixer? I need to either build a couple or buy some. I have one Moultrie broadcast 5 gallon bucket feeder now and it works pretty well. Need several others however. Appreciate others feedback as well.

transfixer

What type of feeder you using Fixer? I need to either build a couple or buy some. I have one Moultrie broadcast 5 gallon bucket feeder now and it works pretty well. Need several others however. Appreciate others feedback as well.

I bought a couple of the Game Winner Mini Silo feeders that Academy carries, bought one from the store , and another from a guy on Craigslist, they hold 200lbs, maybe a little more, all metal hopper and has a wire cage around the spinner/motor box. So far they've worked great ! and I don't have to worry about filling them up every week or two.

Buford_Dawg

Agree somewhat. I like to get some small game hunting in as well and the deer season eats into that quite a bit since it has been extended.

Arrow3

I would say that probably 60 to 70 percent of guys have gave up on deer for the most part by mid December. Problem is a lot of clubs don't want you to small game hunt until its its legally over.

Buford_Dawg

Yes, Brandon, my clubs dont allow small game until big game is over. And Yes, most hunters are done by December for most part. That reminds me, if any of you fellow OC hunters have a good rabbit hunt lined up and don't mind someone listening to the races or need a extra gunner, please let me know. My honey hole spot that we always hunted was lost last year. Heck, I will just hang out and listen, Love to hear some rabbit races. Or, if you have some good rabbit property and dont have dogs but would like to have a hunt, I have a fellow friend that has some fantastic dogs.

Triple C

BD...Google Texas Hunter barrel feeder and Banks Outdoor gravity feeder. I like em both. Had the Texas Hunter barrel feeders since 2011 and still going strong. You can easily move them around.

Had the Banks since 2014. It mounts on a 4x4 post and with critter guard is pretty much bomb proof from critters. However, in our area, you will need to secure the Banks feeder ports with long wood screws running through the edge of the port into the body of the feeder. Otherwise, pigs will dislodge the wing bolts and loosen the ports. Once in place you ain't moving the Banks feeder unless you want to dig the 4x4 post out of the ground and then dig another hole for it. I like em both.

Also have a Double D gravity feeder from Wilderness Calls. It's built out of galvanized and is totally and absolutely bomb proof but bucks for some reason seem to take to the other feeders better. It's been out since 2011 and looks like it did the day we put it out.