Well, we didn't eliminated the species

ripplerider

Will be interesting to see what happens when folks are able to hunt and not being rained on. I'm not a proponent but to each their own.

You can actually hunt in the rain believe it or not. I hunted quite a few times in a cold rain and saw quite a few deer, just not what I was looking for. It aint real fun, but it's hunting. I'm not a fan of baiting either, I think those numbers are kind of ominous myself.

transfixer

I could have sworn, all the "anti-baiters" said it was the "be all to end all" of fair chase deer hunting.......

well, as you can see that is not the case..........

Biggest thing the baiting has done in my opinion , it has allowed you to be more selective, if you're hunting within sight of a feeder then you will see most of the deer in the area at some point, allowing you to pick and choose what you want to pull the trigger on . I saw a lot of deer this year, but passed on everything but a cull buck with messed up antlers, didn't see any nice bucks this year, not even on my cams,

The feeders in combination with trail cams allowed us to get a good idea of just how many deer we have using our lease, comparing pics from a trail cam on one side of our property to pics on the opposite side, we were able to figure out just how many frequent our place.

We actually killed less this year than last year, by choice.

Beagles N Boykins

All we did was make the corn producers happy and make ourselves look lazy to the general public. Baiting and a single zone for hunting dates are a symptom of several things including the wants and needs of the car insurance companies. We do not bait mainly due to the fact that it brings in hogs and our perception that it’s cheating. I hunt in several States and all have zones that are geographically tied to the needs of the area. I’m not sure why people in Ga can’t figure out zones like every other State. Just my opinion but I also think a September to mid January deer season is a bit long.

buckpasser

I’m in the southern zone and have had the freedom of baiting all I want to for quite some time. I hunted over bait 0 times this year. Is it immoral? Absolutley not. Is it easy as pie to kill a deer over bait? Not a mature buck. Is it necessary? Heck no. Is it expensive? More than it has to be. Is this debate tired and pointless? Absolutely.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

Browning Slayer

I also believe they get accustomed to the food source and use corn piles at night more than daylight hours when that pressure gets put on them.

My cameras prove ^that^ wrong....

Browning Slayer

2x on weather being a bigger factor than baiting.

So... you’re saying we have worthless hunters? That can’t stand to get wet? Cause the deer still eat everyday like you do.

Rain never stopped me from being in a stand. If that’s the case, I hope it rains this much next season.

Browning Slayer

Rain never stopped me from being in a stand. If that’s the case, I hope it rains this much next season.

Not my 10 year old either.. He watched dozens and dozens of different deer. And still waited for a “good” deer. He set a goal early on to get one for the wall... And the 10 year old didn’t get the deer he wanted. He didn’t get one this year and was happy. The best year of hunting with him. Had them literally walking under us a dozen times. He learned more this year about deer movement than all others combined.

Browning Slayer

Oh the corn pimps try to justify their actions. Y'all just some stone cold killers. Cause you ain't hunting.:rolleyes:
I’ve killed more public land deer than most. No corn piles ever needed.

Sounds like sour grapes on your part.

I spend more on my corn piles than you spend on your lease. And that’s just a couple feeders. Mine are full now and will stay full year round.

I think you are just sour cause they cut your lease a few years ago in October and you are looking for ANY excuse.

Maybe you should learn to adapt to the land. The deer on your lease never left cause trees were being cut.

Quit thinking like a human. Try thinking like an animal.

Last edited:

Kev

Biggest thing the baiting has done in my opinion , it has allowed you to be more selective, if you're hunting within sight of a feeder then you will see most of the deer in the area at some point, allowing you to pick and choose what you want to pull the trigger on . I saw a lot of deer this year, but passed on everything but a cull buck with messed up antlers, didn't see any nice bucks this year, not even on my cams,

The feeders in combination with trail cams allowed us to get a good idea of just how many deer we have using our lease, comparing pics from a trail cam on one side of our property to pics on the opposite side, we were able to figure out just how many frequent our place.

We actually killed less this year than last year, by choice.
The guys next to us showed up every week with a trailer load of corn. I heard the shoot about 50 times more than ever.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Not my 10 year old either.. He watched dozens and dozens of different deer. And still waited for a “good” deer. He set a goal early on to get one for the wall... And the 10 year old didn’t get the deer he wanted. He didn’t get one this year and was happy. The best year of hunting with him. Had them literally walking under us a dozen times. He learned more this year about deer movement than all others combined.

Me either. We got more rain this past deer season than I can ever remember in my life. Even then, I hunted nearly every day this season. I did lay out and sleep a couple of days, but not many.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Really, then maybe you need to learn how to hunt...……………………...
Thanks ? , and u are rt I’m a stone cold killer , how did your season go ! My 15 yr old daughter probably works harder planting food plots (bait) and filling feeders, cutting shooting lanes , scouting, hanging stands, than most on here , and she’s killed her limit of bucks the past 3 years , she has a good teacher though.... that don’t know how to hunt ... have a good day !

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Thanks ? , and u are rt I’m a stone cold killer , how did your season go ! My 15 yr old daughter probably works harder planting food plots (bait) and filling feeders, cutting shooting lanes , scouting, hanging stands, than most on here , and she’s killed her limit of bucks the past 3 years , she has a good teacher though.... that don’t know how to hunt ... have a good day !
Your family has GON written all over them. Y’all do a great job together as a family team, before the season. During the season and after the season.
I’m proud to know y’all.

PS. Could you let your daughter show me where I should put a stand on my place !!
I would be very thankful

rosewood

One thing many don't realize, everyone does not have the resources you do. We do not all have land that can be plowed and planted with food plots. We may not have the time to put into doing so are may live too far away to be able to afford to drive there regularly in the off season. We do not all have 4 wheelers or tractors to do the plowing. I can get 55 gallon drum filled with corn for $30 from a farmer. Only filled it up once this year and sometimes I fill it up 2 times a year. That ain't gonna buy equipment to make a food plot or clear trees to make one.

To each his own. In some places a food plots work well, some places it does not. A food plot is a bait placed to draw deer in just as corn piles are.

Some say you ain't a hunter if you use bait. How do they get to determine what is hunting? Who named them Noah Webster? I bet when the 1st rifle scopes came out, there were hunters saying you wasn't a hunter if you used one. I bet many of you anti-baiters use scopes.

I feed deer in my backyard. Without corn, they wouldn't be coming to my backyard. There isn't enough woods behind me to scout and hunt and it isn't my land, but the bait brings them within range where I can hunt them. Is that so wrong?

Every fisherman out there uses bait to catch fish. Are they therefore not fishermen because they use bait?

Now that is my soap box for today. :)

Rosewood

Mark K

Banned
You can actually hunt in the rain believe it or not. I hunted quite a few times in a cold rain and saw quite a few deer, just not what I was looking for. It aint real fun, but it's hunting. I'm not a fan of baiting either, I think those numbers are kind of ominous myself.

Rain is one thing, flooded roads and bottoms are another. I’m sure everyone hunts in the rain. It’s not the falling rain we couldn’t hunt in...it was the rain that had already fallen. When you have flowing water across roads and under your stand, it makes it quite difficult. As I said in my previous posts...if you didn’t experience it, you can’t understand it.

Browning Slayer

Rain is one thing, flooded roads and bottoms are another. I’m sure everyone hunts in the rain. It’s not the falling rain we couldn’t hunt in...it was the rain that had already fallen. When you have flowing water across roads and under your stand, it makes it quite difficult. As I said in my previous posts...if you didn’t experience it, you can’t understand it.

Move to higher ground.. :wink: